PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever post potty-training pics on Facebook?

deborah_r
07-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been following STFU Parents for a while now and find it mostly amusing (though sometimes the "childfree" people get a little rabid in the comments). The focus is on "parent overshare" on Facebook. So they are always having postings of people who post potty training pictures, and I'm always thinking "who are these people who post pictures of poop on Facebook?" Well, today I log into Facebook and my friend has posted a picture of her kid's poo in the potty. I want to post a negative comment but don't want to be mean. But really...*everything* does not need to be on Facebook, and I think poop can certainly be excluded. I feel like you have to be really existing in a total kid-focused bubble to not realize people who are not mother or father to your kid do not want or need to see their poop.

I know this is a group of very smart, reasonable parents, so I thought I'd see what the consensus is. I can't tell if my reading of STFU Parents has colored my opinion on this and made me think it is more horrible than it is.

For the record, it never once occurred to me to take a picture of my child's poo in the potty, no matter how excited I was about it.

smiles33
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I agree 200% with you. That is NASTY. I can see posting status updates, "Hooray, no more diapers as DD is now potty-trained" but NOT photos. No way, no how. Don't people realize that there is no privacy anymore? Even if you delete the photo, there could be some cached copy somewhere that your child discovers (or someone else discovers) decades from now!

wencit
07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Eww, no. Photos that show bodily excretions of ANY kind should not be posted on Facebook!

lablover
07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I could see posting a cute picture of your child sitting on a potty seat, but a picture of actual poop? That's disgusting!

BabyDahl
07-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Eww, no. Photos that show bodily excretions of ANY kind should not be posted on Facebook!

:yeahthat: I don't allow any pics of DD on DH's FB page, but pics of poop--totally crossing the line into utterly disgusting. An update is sufficient, people.

lablover
07-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Double post

♥ms.pacman♥
07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Pics of poop in the potty? NO. That is so gross, not to mention juvenile. Just bc it's kid related does not mean it's ok to post on Facebook!

eta: i wouldn't be so much bothered about a pic of a toddler sitting on a potty or whatever, but the pics of poop itself..no. Nobody wants to see that. I did actually have a friend whose posts i hid because he once posted once a link to pictures of poop in the toilet. He was not a dad, just really immature and had no filter to what he posted online (often had expletives in status updates, etc). I think just because it's a kids' poop doesn't automatically make it ok.

i personally feel uncomfortable posting any potty-related pics of my DS. like others i'd worry if 10 years somehow his friends or classmates found these pics.

Melbel
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
There is no way, no how I would take a picture of my kids' poo (other than perhaps a medical reason) or post in on FB. Way TMI.

I do have a couple cute pictures of DS in his potty training days sitting shirtless on the potty with his Mickey ears, Mardi Gras beads and big book (not revealing anything private) and playing basketball from his potty seat. To me, they were a funny look back at the PT days, without the TMI. These were taken long before the days of FB, but I cannot imagine posting them. I have not made any PT updates regarding DD2's ongoing training.

MoJo
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Many of my FB postings are about my kids. . . but I didn't even mention potty training. I take pictures of everything. . . but never considered and never would take a pic of that, much less share them on FB.

IF I was going to mention potty training, a positive comment about big-kid diapers or underwear would be as far as I would go.

I don't think I've seen any potty training related posts on FB, but maybe that's just because many of my friends have older kids?

I haven't discussed potty training with anyone who isn't close enough to watch my children.

MommyofAmaya
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm in the "No, not for me" category, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "absolutely disgusting" unless it was the situation you posted. Really a photo of the poop? Ick.

TwinFoxes
07-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I could see posting a cute picture of your child sitting on a potty seat, but a picture of actual poop? That's disgusting!

:yeahthat: no one wants to see poo!

ahisma
07-08-2011, 07:24 PM
No way! I won't even post a discrete picture of my LO on the potty on FB, and I have a pretty laid back online privacy attitude. I just think that some things are crossing the line. DH has taken those photos and emailed them to me, which is fine (of LO, not poop!).

I really don't get the point of taking a photo of poop, unless you have a medical concern and are emailing it to your ped, LOL!

deborah_r
07-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm in the "No, not for me" category, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "absolutely disgusting" unless it was the situation you posted. Really a photo of the poop? Ick.

Oh yes, it is a photo, view from above, of the potty, with a floater. I have seen some on STFU Parents with the kid in the picture and the poop visible.

I guess it could cure people of checking Facebook while out to dinner? :)

lmwbasye
07-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't even take that pic to keep privately. Ewww!!

Nooknookmom
07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Eeeeeew,,,poo pics? That's nasty. Period.

LMPC
07-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I thought this was going to be about cute pictures of kids on their potties with a book or something like that...but poop? Really? That's icky ick ick!

3blackcats
07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm in the zero pictures of kids on Facebook camp. Even if I was, that is gross. No one wants to see that.

kerridean
07-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I have a standing policy: I "hide" anyone who even MENTIONS potty training on facebook. I've done it, it is over, and I do not want to hear about it on FB. Sorry.

lhafer
07-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Pic of actual poo? Nasty. I did post the sticker chart after my daughter completed her first week and was fully trained by the end of it. But that was to share with the grandparents as they don't live here, and we had a long standing issue with her and constipation. So it was a super achievement for her.

scriptkitten
07-08-2011, 09:07 PM
gross. i'd never post that on FB but i'll admit that i took photos and sent them to my DS at work.. it was hilarious.

twowhat?
07-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I have posted stuff about potty training on FB. It's hard not to when you are so excited about a milestone. I have posted one PT pic on FB. Everything was covered up and all - it was a pic of DD2 sitting on the toilet with an IKEA play fry pan with the IKEA felt egg (sunny side up) inside, she was holding the IKEA play spatula. She said she was scrambling eggs. I just could not resist.

But never in my life would I post an actual pic of poop. WTH??

mackmama
07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Gross! I don't really understand the whole Facebook thing in general, much less sharing a picture of that.

kijip
07-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I absolutely would not post any potty training pictures anywhere because I personally would never take a potty training photo. IMO not everything needs to be a kodak moment.

Still, I don't find it disgusting just weird, perhaps in poor judgement (anyone remember the adult themed boards that were ripping people's cloth diaper pics? Eww).

ETA: my comment above is about pictures of people sitting on toilets. Here's my comment now that I realize this is a picture of poop...WHAT was this person THINKING...that is terrible. Disgusting. Who would do this?

niccig
07-09-2011, 01:51 AM
I read an update from a friend discussing her son's constipation and giving him an enema and exactly what that produced.

Really, on Facebook for everyone to read?? I've had similar conversations with mums when dealing with constipation, but it wasn't broadcast for over 200 people to read.

Some things are private... obviously not with Facebook.

Gracemom
07-09-2011, 08:38 AM
A friend put a poop picture on her blog. It is something I wish I could un-see.

momm
07-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I love, love, love that blog STFU Parents. I do a stfuparent check before posting anything on Facebook, not that I post much.

That said, poop pics? Ewewewewewewewwwwww. Not only for the sake of my poor friends, but also for the sake of my poor kid, I would never do that.

I urge you all to take a look at the site to see the nonsense people post on Facebook, the site is truly hilarious.
http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/

And not just filled with poop jokes!
:)