PDA

View Full Version : Brazillian blowout zero is a big fat ZERO!

Globetrotter
07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
waaaahhhhhh.. I paid a fortune to have this done with the formaldehyde-free forumulation, but apparently the formaldeyde makes it work well so this did absolutely nothing for me. My hair is fairly thin but has wave/frizz. After just one wash, it was pretty much back to being frizzy AND it's drier than before! I contacted the salon and they offered to redo it with the regular forumla - um, no, that defeats the purpose of waiting for the zero - or doing a deep conditioning treatment to deal with the dryness. I didn't pay over $300 (faint) for this, so they better come through with something better than that! I'm not sure what to expect? a refund? (minus tip, I guess - even the tip was the cost of a haircut! what a waste) a credit? I am really bummed because I did it for a special event, and now my hair is harder to manage! strange..

I am really curious to see authentic positive results from the zero for someone else. That's what I get for being impatient!

infomama
07-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I'd probably be asking for a refund/partial refund. Thanks a lot of coin.
Sorry it didn't work out!

lil_acorn
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm sorry for your experience. I'd ask for a refund, even if they have to give it to you in a credit to use at the store.

DrSally
07-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Oh man! I'd be so upset. I'd ask for a refund, that's a lot of $$

mackmama
07-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh no! I've heard the same thing about the zero. Definitely ask for a full refund. You paid for a service and were told you'd get a certain result. You didn't get that result.

LexyLou
07-08-2011, 10:57 PM
That sucks. I do the formaldeyde version at it lasts me 4-6 months.

I'm sorry the zero didn't work. Do you have no interest in trying the regular version?

Tondi G
07-09-2011, 01:35 AM
my mom has crazy hair and she did the brazilian blowout and LOVED it... her hair was SUPER straight and no frizz at all. They should refund your money.

Globetrotter
07-10-2011, 02:01 AM
I was hoping to avoid the original version, which I'm sure would work fine. It bothers me that the zero is being touted as an alternative, which is false advertising. I haven't heard back from the salon yet, but hope to soon!

Globetrotter
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
It appears that Aveda now has a formaldehyde free smoothing treatment, so they have offered to do that one for me. I will keep you all udpated.

HIU8
07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I looked into this (the less expensive version that only lasts 6-8 weeks) and was told that you really can only wash your hair 1x a week with their special shampoo and conditioner. Otherwise it was not going to work as well. I wash my hair daily b/c I workout every morning and sweat like a pig, so washing once a week is totally out for me b/c my hair smells BAD.

Globetrotter
07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
I looked into this (the less expensive version that only lasts 6-8 weeks) and was told that you really can only wash your hair 1x a week with their special shampoo and conditioner. Otherwise it was not going to work as well. I wash my hair daily b/c I workout every morning and sweat like a pig, so washing once a week is totally out for me b/c my hair smells BAD.

I think that's something else?? This version certainly cost the same as the one with formaldehyde! When I looked into it, I found other keratin treatments that lasted for a shorter time (less cost) so maybe that's the one you were thinking of? I have been no-pooing (washing with conditioner) twice a week before I got it done (though I did shampoo after I got it) so the once a week would be okay with me, but I didn't want the keratin treatments due to concerns with the ingredients.

I can't find ANY reviews on the Aveda permanent straightening. Sigh.

lovin2shop
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out well for you. I just got the Brazilian Zero last week, and I'm very satisfied with it (I've been meaning to post about it). But, I went in knowing that there was no way that it would perform as well as the original though. I have frizzy, wavy hair, and it has smoothed it and made it very shiny and glossy. I'm not sure how long it will last though. I don't think this should be advertised as an actual straigthener like the original, and it shouldn't cost as much either. I paid a Groupon price for mine.

The salon that did mine has done a large number of these treatments, and they found that leaving the solution in overnight is better than rising right away. So, basically they washed my hair, applied the solution, dried, then flat ironed hair. I washed it out myself the next day. They also said that if you get a second treatment within two to three months, the results tend be cumulative and last longer, more like 4 to 5 months. And, you definitely do want only use their products with the one, where the original you could find less expensive alternatives. Washing less often definitely makes a difference as well. The salon will continue to honor the Groupon price if I want to go back again. I haven't decided yet, as it depends on how long it lasts initially.

I have to say, I did love doing my hair this morning. Quick blow dry, followed by quick touch up with flat iron. Nothing like normal blow dryer, hot iron sectioning off piece by piece effort!

If they won't give in on a refund, I would definitely ask for them to redo it for you.

kbud
07-29-2011, 02:29 PM

This is the case with the formaldehyde version also. I have to use a special shampoo and was advised to wash my hair as little as possible. Every time you wash it some of it strips off. That's why the special shampoos are recommended as they strip less off. About a week before I get it redone I wash a lot with regular shampoo. My stylist says it's best to remove the old before the new is put on. I'm finding in the summer it doesn't last as long, due to swimming, the beach, and sweating.

Globetrotter
07-29-2011, 06:11 PM
It's good to know that it worked out for you, lovin2shop! They offered to redo the zero for me with a more experienced stylist (the one I went to was also supposedly the highest level but not as experienced with this) but I didn't see the point since it didn't work the first time and I had read a lot of negative reviews. Now I wonder if they needed to improve the technique! I would have been thrilled with smooth hair (vs. straightened) and I knew it wasn't a straightener, but mine was frizzy as ever after the treatment and drier in places. sigh..

I just found this info. on the Aveda system. It sounds promising!
http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/52818421.aspx