PDA

View Full Version : What instrument do you wish you could play?

infomama
07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Hands down...acoustic guitar.
You?

LMPC
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
The violin. Unfortunately I cannot play anything....seriously, I was born void of musical ability. My brother apparently got it all as he plays every instrument I can think of and has perfect pitch....ba$tard!

robinsmommy
07-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Acoustic guitar, too. I also like violin, but it sounds much nicer to listen to a beginner on the guitar than the violin....so on the off chance that I may ever learn, I'll stick with guitar.

TwinFoxes
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Hmm, good question! I guess drums. But I'd really love to be able to sing. :)

twowhat?
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Hands down, acoustic guitar here too. And if I could sing on top of that...

Giantbear
07-08-2011, 10:46 PM
acoustic guitar, piano or a fiddle

The tuba i played in my youth, and i was good!!, just isnt practical now

ABO Mama
07-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Timely question! DH is currently showing the boys his old high school trumpet, and they're all trying to make the horn work. I played the clarinet, but not well.

wencit
07-08-2011, 10:54 PM
A harp! It looks like a cool instrument, and sounds beautiful. One of my friends in HS played it, and I always thought it would be so neat to learn how.

ellies mom
07-08-2011, 11:19 PM
The saxophone. Definitely. If I ever get a job, I'd like to take lessons. I want a lovely silver sax so that in case I completely suck, I can set it on a stand in the corner and consider it art.

blue
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Hands down...acoustic guitar.

Me too!

DietCokeLover
07-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Acoustic guitar and Harp.

I can play Peaceful Easy Feeling on the guitar, but that's all. I'm just not dedicated enough to stick with the learning process.

I think it would be amazing to play the harp.

mackmama
07-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Acoustic guitar. I took one class then tried teaching myself for awhile, but I never really got anywhere.

babyonway
07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I would love to be able to play the piano.
I cannot play a single thing though. Not musically inclined at all!

MontrealMum
07-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Guitar or cello. I've never played a string instrument. I also find the harp gorgeous and intriguing, but I hear that it's very difficult to learn, as well as expensive, so I think that's likely out for me. Mind you, the cello probably is too. I have a friend that is "musical" like me (trained but hobbyish) that took up guitar in her early 40's so I don't think I'll give up hope on that one yet :)

Snow mom
07-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Mandolin!

hellokitty
07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I play piano and violin, but always wished I would have played cello instead. It's just such a rich sound, and it sounds dumb, but I picked violin, b/c it wasn't a pita to take on the bus. Acoustic guitar is another instrument I would love to learn, as well as harp.

sweet_pea
07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Harp or cello.

g-mama
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Piano.

My dh plays the piano beautifully and I just love to listen to him play. I can mention a song I like on the radio and he will sit down at the piano and within 10 minutes, he has figured out how to play it. It amazes me.

I should've listened to my parents when they told me I'd regret quitting lessons after a few years.

egoldber
07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Acoustic guitar and piano.

I took piano for 2 years as a child and quit. In retrospect, I found the recitals too overwhelming at ages 7 and 8, so I am have deliberately found a more low key teacher for older DD.

I am thinking of offering her acoustic guitar in the fall. The place she does piano also offers guitar and I think she would really like that.

sariana
07-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Piano and acoustic guitar. (Seems to be a pattern here!)

I play several wind instruments, including the bassoon, and I love music. My parents offered me the chance to take piano lessons, but I didn't do it until my senior year in high school. So I can play a (very) little bit, but I would love to be able really to PLAY.

And I have a book of flute/guitar music, and I would love to be able to play both parts. (Flute was my first instrument.)

BillK
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
The guitar - better than I can. I can play a little bit of a lot of songs but I just don't have the musical inclination to be really good at it.

nrp
07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Guitar here too. I have one and I keep meaning to find an instructor, but I haven't gotten around to it. I don't aspire to be great, just to be able to pick it up and sing some songs with the kids.

weech
07-09-2011, 11:29 AM
I used to play clarinet, guitar and bass. I wish I hadn't given them up. If I had to choose one to play again, I'd play bass. DH plays acoustic guitar.

Penny's Pappa
07-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Guitar (electric or acoustic) and mandolin. Actually I'd just like to learn a stringed instrument of any kind really.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

larig
07-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I always wanted to learn to play the bass guitar. (I played piano & clarinet as a kid). I finally did at the age of 33. Then I rocked it in a band for a few years.

Those of you who want to do it--DO IT. It's incredibly rewarding. (I taught myself, with the help of the internet and DH a little, but he and I don't work together as teacher/student).

misshollygolightly
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
The harp. So gorgeous!

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Piano and acoustic guitar here as well.

I used to play the flute.

Beth

sste
07-09-2011, 03:03 PM
The piano!

I need the bag over head icon but that is a big part of the reason we are enrolling DS in suzuki piano . . . they teach both the parent and the child. I can't wait!

vludmilla
07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Marimba! It is a wonderful instrument and makes a beautiful sound. The guitar would be a good second choice and a third choice would be better paino playing skills than I currently have.

daniele_ut
07-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Guitar or cello. I've never played a string instrument. I also find the harp gorgeous and intriguing, but I hear that it's very difficult to learn, as well as expensive, so I think that's likely out for me. Mind you, the cello probably is too. I have a friend that is "musical" like me (trained but hobbyish) that took up guitar in her early 40's so I don't think I'll give up hope on that one yet :)

You can buy a student cello for a few hundred dollars. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much dh's cello is worth, because most people probably spent less on their cars! Lessons vary in price depending on the skill of the teacher. My dh is a professional cellist and orchestra conductor and he charges $40-50 an hour for lessons. Most beginning adults start with a 30 minute lesson once a week and he's had several. We pay about $95 a month for a shared 30 minute lesson for our 2 kids with a Suzuki violin teacher.

I play piano and violin, but always wished I would have played cello instead. It's just such a rich sound, and it sounds dumb, but I picked violin, b/c it wasn't a pita to take on the bus. Acoustic guitar is another instrument I would love to learn, as well as harp.

I don't think it's a dumb reason actually. It's one of the reasons I steered DS and DD toward the violin. I really didn't want to have to lug two or three cellos around for the rest of eternity. We had to take dh's cello with us when we went car shopping after we got married and you should have seen the looks on the faces of the sales people at the dealerships! We had to make sure it would fit in the trunk, though!

After listening to DH play the cello for the last 11 years, I would love to be able to play piano so I could accompany him. It also makes me sad that we have such a nice piano and no one in our family really plays. I'm planning to have DD take piano along with her violin in a couple of years.

kdeunc
07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I would love to play piano and violin. If I had to choose 1 it would be violin.

pb&j
07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Lap steel and/or pedal steel guitar. Or banjo.

MontrealMum
07-10-2011, 01:48 AM
You can buy a student cello for a few hundred dollars. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much dh's cello is worth, because most people probably spent less on their cars! Lessons vary in price depending on the skill of the teacher. My dh is a professional cellist and orchestra conductor and he charges $40-50 an hour for lessons. Most beginning adults start with a 30 minute lesson once a week and he's had several. We pay about $95 a month for a shared 30 minute lesson for our 2 kids with a Suzuki violin teacher.

That is good to know! Maybe I should check into something for myself when I start investigating lessons for DS. I do play piano, but I've just always been completely captivated by the sound of the cello.

maestramommy
07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Cello. I mean, I know how to play it, played it for 5 years. But I wish I REALLY knew how to wail on it.

sunshine873
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I play piano & I sing. Love them both, but I'd love to be able to play guitar too. It's much easier to "take with you" than a piano. :)

pinkmomagain
07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Guitar and/or sax.

I've played the piano and viola...just haven't touched them in a realllllllllllllllly long time.

I've been thinking of starting guitar lessons lately....

essnce629
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I always wanted to be able to play the piano. I've never taken any kind of musical instrument lesson and I can't think of a single person in either side of my family that can play an instrument. Sad.