PDA

View Full Version : i think DS would like some little figure-type toys - suggestions?

lmh2402
07-08-2011, 10:33 PM
DS is starting to do a lot of playing with his big cars and trucks and all he's got for people are a few little people and he often struggles to get them in and out of some of the vehicles.

thinking maybe i should look into some other types of figures that he can use in various vehicles, etc?

and/or, would welcome suggestions for "sets" of maybe a vehicle or plane or boat or whatever, that already has appropriately sized figures with it.

he's 2 yrs, 3 months and has decent fine motor, but obviously a little chunkier/easier to manipulate is better

thanks!

ssjarrett
07-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Look at Imaginext by Fisher Price. Target and Toys R Us both have some exclusive themes not available elsewhere and Walmart also carries them. They have Batman, Toy Story, Space, Airplanes, Boats, Pirates, Castles, and now I believe the Cars movie theme and more!

I think they are officially 4 and up (or maybe 3?), but if he is not still putting everything in his mouth, you should be ok. There are so many different theme sets and you can buy large pieces or small sets. We have many of the themes and they are well loved by even my 7 year old. You will get lots of play value out of these over time and they are very well made. Some do have some smaller accessories (swords, things to hold, etc.), which you could just put away for now and get out when he can handle them a little better.

Good luck!

MontrealMum
07-09-2011, 12:44 AM
We started with Playmobil 1-2-3, and by age 3 my DS was OK (not chewing on things anymore) to play with the regular Playmobil, though I think that's under their min. age rec. Both of those are all interchangeable w/in each system which is nice. Duplo by Lego is another option for that age (IIRC they're 2-5) and they do sell some largish trucks and fire engines that a younger kid can manipulate easily and which come with "guys" (as my DS puts it), though personally I don't enjoy them as much as the Playmobil ;) But I'm the mom, not the kid! For DS' other, larger trucks/cars etc we use some vintage Fisher Price Little People that I bought on Ebay. They're smaller than the kind they sell now and they fit great in the Sprig, Green Toys, BOB and some of his other large trucks. You want to be really careful of those, though, if you've got a kid that mouths things as it is possible to decapitate the "people" with effort. Which is why they were redesigned. My DS stopped doing that at around 2.5 or so which is why I felt OK with it.

ahisma
07-09-2011, 12:46 AM
We like the Playmobil figures. Our local independent toystore sells them in a mixed lot bag, but I'm sure you can find them online like that too...I've never looked.

I'm sure they're 3+, but DS2 wasn't a mouther and started with them around 2.

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2011, 12:53 AM
IMAGINEXT!!! We have a ton of the stuff now, and it gets SO much play. The "guys" are bendable, detailed, and very talented. I've seen an angry fireman driving a helicopter, submarine, a concrete truck, a Bruder crane, and even an ocean boat or a space shuttle. We have 2 of the open top multipurpose bins from the container store - different sizes - for them. Imaginext vehicles are in one (small stuff like motorcycles, Buzz' space vehicle, etc, plus a larger one with more room to sort through the animals, guns, tools, casts, helmets, etc. Imaginext gets more play in our house than anything, I think.

Tondi G
07-09-2011, 01:30 AM
Imaginext gets my vote!

maydaymommy
07-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow! trucks come w/ guys in them & are age appropriate.

wimama
07-09-2011, 08:13 AM
My vote is for Playmobil, then Imaginext as a runner up. If he doesn't stick toys in his mouth anymore the regular Playmobil may be fine. I would start with a vehicle and just give him vehicle and some of the people figures. Put away all the little bitty pieces until later.

kristac
07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Imaginext or Geotrax

Reyadawnbringer
07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Ds has become obsessed with the "marvel super hero squad" little figures. They are very chunky/bulky and he LOVES them. They usually come in a pack of 3. We have a gazillion of them laying around. He also has the imaginex, but doesn't like those as much as the others.

ETA: DS started getting them around you DS's age and we haven't had any problems

kboyle
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Ds has become obsessed with the "marvel super hero squad" little figures. They are very chunky/bulky and he LOVES them. They usually come in a pack of 3. We have a gazillion of them laying around. He also has the imaginex, but doesn't like those as much as the others.

ETA: DS started getting them around you DS's age and we haven't had any problems

I suggest those or imaginex...with 3 boys, trust me...total hit. If u don't want them to be "characters" then I'd go with the playmobil 123 line like pp suggests.

MommyofAmaya
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I just added this to DS's bday wish list. It has little figure people, vehicles, and hopefully the pieces will stay with the rocket.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/466673.jpg