PDA

View Full Version : Deep Woods OFF killed the grass- Yikes!

mom2binsd
07-09-2011, 12:14 AM
We were outside watching fireworks on the 4th and sprayed with Deep Woods OFF dry...DS (age 5) and I get eaten alive and swell up so we have to have replellent on. Contains 25% DEET. I am trading off chemicals with getting West Nile Virus and massive bites that last for weeks...have tried some other types of repellent with no success.

BUT THE REPELLENT KILLED THE GRASS!!! We just realized that these two small patches of dead grass in an otherwise green lawn are exactly where I sprayed DS and myself.

Am going to make a call to J&J.

Any other places I might call to see if this is a problem?

The can doesn't say anything about the spray killing grass!

zoestargrove
07-09-2011, 04:35 AM
yikes! that is scary. My friend's son has an allergic reaction to mosquito bites that is pretty severe and dr recommended taking benedryl as soon as he gets a bite in order to lessen the reaction. She also has been using the deep woods off too. I'm not sure who else to call? EPA?

ahisma
07-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Yep, DEET kills grass.

Penny's Pappa
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Thankfully, humans aren't made of grass. I'd be an itchy mess in the summer if it wasn't for DEET.

But it's good to know it'll kill grass. I'll have to be careful spraying it if I'm in the yard.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

lhafer
07-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Thankfully, humans aren't made of grass. I'd be an itchy mess in the summer if it wasn't for DEET.

But it's good to know it'll kill grass. I'll have to be careful spraying it if I'm in the yard.

-----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

:yeahthat: Maybe I can use that to kill some pesky weeds in my front yard since nothing else seems to be doing the trick!

It amazing some of the stuff we use/eat. Like soda. It eats away battery acid - great for cleaning your car battery. Or pickle juice. I had a pickle jar in a trash bag on the back porch waiting for trash day. Guess the bag broke as did the jar because when I picked the bag up - pickle juice had eaten a nice big hole in my concrete patio!!

boolady
07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerce/natural-insect-repellents/4-oz-kids-herbal-armor-spray.html

This works great, and no DEET. I've seen it lots of places this summer...grocery store, etc.

Kindra178
07-09-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.allterrainco.com/ecommerce/natural-insect-repellents/4-oz-kids-herbal-armor-spray.html

This works great, and no DEET. I've seen it lots of places this summer...grocery store, etc.

Do you know if this works well on greenheads down the shore? CA Baby Bug spray did nothing.

boolady
07-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Do you know if this works well on greenheads down the shore? CA Baby Bug spray did nothing.

No, I don't, but I :heartbeat: that you said "down the shore." We haven't used it there yet-- it's been great for mosquitos and those biting gnats. It says it's good on deerflies, but I'm not really sure what they are, TBH.

Kindra178
07-09-2011, 02:18 PM
No, I don't, but I :heartbeat: that you said "down the shore." We haven't used it there yet-- it's been great for mosquitos and those biting gnats. It says it's good on deerflies, but I'm not really sure what they are, TBH.

Ex-Njer here. You can take a girl out of NJ, but you can't take NJ out of a girl. We are going to the shore next month. We love the Bay beach, but the greenheads about killed me and my kids last year.

boolady
07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Ex-Njer here. You can take a girl out of NJ, but you can't take NJ out of a girl.

I don't know whether you think that's good or bad, but you're right!

Kindra178
07-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't know whether you think that's good or bad, but you're right!

I think it's great. I love NJ, and would move back in a second.

boolady
07-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it's great. I love NJ, and would move back in a second.

Really? I know of a great 3 bedroom, 2.5 bedroom townhouse priced just right, sellers are really motivated....;)