PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of a cow killer ant?-PIC ADDED

JTsMom
07-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm totally freaked out about these things! I'd never heard of them until one went running across our patio last week. DH and I both thought it was really weird looking, and he asked a GA native about it. The guy named it for us, and told us it's sting feels like a shotgun shell going through you! :47::eek:

I was hoping it was a fluke, but this morning we found another crawling along the edge of the playset perimeter. Is there anything I can do about these nasty critters? I told J that if he sees one to steer clear, but those things are scary! I thought FL had bad bugs, but they've got nothing on GA!

Warning- creepy bug picture ahead....

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ym1qR4fgkjg/ThiTMmX12RI/AAAAAAAAG1c/vLx9vSiNEUU/s720/2011_06_30_IMG_9999.JPG

kristac
07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
We have them in NC too. Nasty things. They scream when you squish them.

Puddy73
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Did it look like a big (about a half inch) velvety red & black ant? They are actually a type of wasp and their sting is very painful!

kristac
07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/cowkiller.shtml

cntrymoon2
07-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Why, oh why, did I feel the need to google that?? I could have lived without seeing those images.

I would call an exterminator, they sound horrible!

JTsMom
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
lol, that's why I didn't post a link, I was afraid of traumatizing you all! There's a youtube video where someone has one pinned with a stick and it's hissing at him.

From what I've read, they are very difficult to squish, so if you see one, you're probably better off not even trying unless you have on very thick shoes. Also, there's no chemical defense. AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH! Some things I read said they are skittish though, and won't attack unless you try to harm them, and are beneficial b/c they kill underground wasps and hornets (which really freaks me out b/c I think some of those must be in that area). I'm still concerned about the kids accidentally stepping on one though.

Momit
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Why, oh why, did I feel the need to google that?? I could have lived without seeing those images.

Totally agree! I can see the nightmares coming already! When we lived out west someone told me about a bug called Child of the Earth with a head that looks like a human baby and I couldn't sleep for a week!

JTsMom
07-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh, and they're huge. The one that ran across our patio must have been close to 2". The one I saw today was probably closer to 1.25", and not as thick, but still very freaky looking. I actually took a picture of the patio one b/c it was so shocking- I saw it from inside of the house! Very pretty, but in a "every hair on your body stands up" kind of way.

Melaine
07-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, we have 'em too. Gotta love living in the South. Very hard to kill, I also heard the sting is dangerous for kids but not sure on that.

Melanie
07-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Omg omg omg a screaming and hissing bug omg omg omg. ETA: That was supposed to be appropriately in ALL CAPS because OMG it is a SCREAMING BUG, but the board edited it for me.

Toba
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Is it cruel of me to want to see a video of it screaming?? :p

Melaine
07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I've never heard them scream or hiss...perhaps because my own screaming drowns them out? LOL

SkyrMommy
07-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Oh my goodness!!!! I am very, very grateful to be living the snow and freezing temperatures will keep those things away... I hope, right??? At least they are large and visible for the most part, but they totally just freaked me out. I hope they go find some where else to live instead of your yard! :hug:

twowhat?
07-09-2011, 10:54 PM
We have them in NC too. Nasty things. They scream when you squish them.

:47:

I've never seen one, thankfully! Yikes!!!

mackmama
07-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I will not click on the link I will not click on the link
AHhhhhhh!

DrSally
07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Ewww! We spray the perimeter of our house in the spring, and this year no ants inside! I wonder if you can get one of those ant stakes that goes outside?

kristac
07-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Ewww! We spray the perimeter of our house in the spring, and this year no ants inside! I wonder if you can get one of those ant stakes that goes outside?

They aren't really an ant- they are wingless wasp.

:47:

I've never seen one, thankfully! Yikes!!!

I lived here for 5 years before I saw one.