PDA

View Full Version : Differences in/Recommendations for non-stick(Bialetti, Cuisinart, Green Earth)?

ciw
07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm looking at the "greener" non-stick pans: Bialetti's Aeternum, Cuisinart's Green line, and the Green Earth pans. I'm wondering if one is more likely to hold up? Does anyone have any personal recs or know if/how Consumer Reports rated them?

Kindra178
07-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Cuisinart's green gourment has not held up. I am the only one who uses it at home and the "green" coating has chipping off in many places. I would never buy it again.

ahisma
07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
After researching a ton, we stuck with well seasoned cast iron.

ciw
07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks, I did some more googling and found that the Green Earth pan was rated a best buy by CR and that the Cuisinart received really poor ratings. CR mentioned the peeling problem too, Kindra.

Ahisma, I absolutely agree with you that cast iron is the way to go. But DH doesn't like to use it and while he doesn't cook a lot, I appreciate it when he does. ;) I ordered the Green Earth pan.

daisymommy
07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
That's very interesting! I had not read the CR results on the "green" pans. FWIW...I have had the Cuisinart pan for a few years now and it's still in perfect condition. Eggs slide right off, and there is no chipping :shrug:. I bought it because it had the best reviews on Amazon. I would love to hear how you like your new pan when you get it though!

mom2akm
07-09-2011, 11:34 PM
After researching a ton, we stuck with well seasoned cast iron.

:yeahthat: Cast iron is really great, it's inexpensive and long lasting. It is worth the try. I agree that the pre-seasoned ones are my choice.

hellokitty
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I tried a green non-stick pan. I loved it for one wk and then the coating got all weird. I threw it out. Save your $ and stick with SS or cast iron.

AnnieW625
07-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I haven't tried a green pan, but Circulon (and Calphalon) are teflon free non stick and I love my Circulon pan, so while it's not labeled a "green" pan I still feel very safe using it. I have had my pan for 11 yrs. and it still looks like new. I like it more than my Calphalon which haven't held up as well. Enameled cast iron is great too.

mommy111
07-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Cast iron all the way. Especailly with kids and knowing that there is little to no risk.
Can anyone educate me as to the other non stick pans, are they not risky like teflon?

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 12:48 AM
My DH finally got on the no-Teflon boat. Now he uses stainless with oil for eggs. We eat very low-fat otherwise, so it works for us. I use cast iron for everything else.