PDA

View Full Version : Switching BOB Skins...

kaharris83
07-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Has anyone ever attempted this? I picked up an '05 last weekend and just snagged a Chocolate and Blue '08 this weekend. The '08 looks like it was kept outside so some of the screws are rusty and the frame is a little worn. On the other hand the '05 looks like it was always kept indoors and not used ever. It really looks like it just came out of the box, save the part of the handlebar that was gouged and superglued back in place.(I put a lace up steering wheel cover on the handle and not only is it more cushy, the handle is protected from my dangerous self.) I was wondering about switching the fabric from the '08 and putting it on the '05, since the difference in the recline is in the fabric part. Thoughts? I'm not sure I want to keep the '08 fabric even because there's rust on the fabric too from where it ran from the screws and such. I haven't completely given up on getting it clean but rust is a tough stain to get out I'm learning. Just wondering if there's a mechanical reason why this would be a bad idea.

poohbear
07-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I would call BOB CS and ask....

On a side note, I have a chocolate/blue BOB and :heartbeat: it. Love the color combo :)

But I would call and ask before dealing with unscrewing and rescrewing, etc...

RunnerDuck
07-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I had a pre-'07 SUS with the less recline and called Bob to ask if I could just change covers and they said no so I never tried - but if I had two in front of me to play with I might try it.

kaharris83
07-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I think I'm going have to deal with the unscrewing and rescrewing anyway, the toughest rust stains are in the pocket areas. I've managed to clean most of the other stains off but that seems to be the worst area and it's hard to scrub without taking the fabric off. We don't get any real great sun in our condo but it's outside trying to soak up the little bit of sun we get. DH says once the fabric is off he can better assess if he can clean up the rust on the frame. I love the chocolate and blue too so I'm hoping we can get it cleaned up. I'll let you know if we end up trying the new fabric on the old frame.

RunnerDuck
07-09-2011, 08:34 PM
FWIW mine was a dualie, it might be different with a single.