PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Mountain Buggy resale?

poohbear
07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I am wondering if anyone else has had trouble reselling an MB or this was just a wacky case:

I bought a 2007 MBUD and cleaned it up for a friend of mine, who pushed it and decided she wanted a duallie instead. I figured no biggie, I'll just sell it. For $200. Cheap right?
Figured it would fly out the door. It slowly strolled out the door a week and a half after I posted it...

BOB Duallies are posted for $350 and they're gone in 12 hours (same thing with indie twins that are impossible to find) and I couldn't sell a nice clean mbud with nice big pics in a week? (Though the lady who bought it was super excited to find one for "such a great price")

Do we think it's just because people don't know the brand? Or was this just a fluke?

nmstrong
07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Ya mountain buggies here have pretty poor resale as well. That's how I managed to snag a new 2011 black dot mb duo with carrycot for 400! No one else responded to ad which is so weird. My cousin bought it off me and she is dying because she loves it so so much. Probably just not as sought after? People don't know as much about them...

arivecchi
07-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, there are a few old MBUDs for sale right now, so I think it's a case of too much inventory. Back in early 09 I could not get my hands on a double. They were flying off CL. I just sold my Duo for asking price today so resale is not bad. BOBs are certainly better known because they are so common. The other issue is that MBs seem to last forever, so there are usually really cheap ones around for sale which drags down the value.

AnnieW625
07-09-2011, 08:18 PM
In 2005/2006 when I was researching AT strollers by reading BB book I was intrigued by the Mountain Buggy Urban Single because the got an A rating, but no one near me carried them (and even now 5+ yrs. later still no one near me carries them; nearest dealers are an hour+ away, and I love inspecting strollers in person before buying:boogie:) and the price tag was over $400. I still believe that I have never seen a MBUS ever in my area. I have since seen a few MBUDs and a Swift or too, but really they are few and far between. Even a year ago I couldn't find a MBUD, or a Duo on Craigslist in my area of 8 million+ people. A lot of faded Bobs for $200, and a lot of overpriced used Bobs for $475!

Arivecchi, congrats on selling your Duo!

crl
07-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I was surprised at how hard it was to sell my two Swifts (had the 2009 and upgraded to the 2010 for the improved canopy then went with my indie). I think name recognition is a big chunk of it; Bobs are just so well known and so easy for people to find in stores to play with. Honestly if I buy another AT stroller I am going with a Bob, in part for easy resale.

Catherine

goldenpig
07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I sold my 2010 MB Duo that was barely used for my asking price on CL, but it took a couple weeks. I actually made some money because I had gotten it through the Zulily sale, but the buyer got a great deal considering all the extras that were included. In my ad I posted links to reviews of the Duo and listed all the advantages of the Duo over the Bob Duallie, because I knew most people wouldn't be as familiar with the MB name. Also that way my ad would come up when people searched for "Bob Duallie". I think the buyer knew that she was getting a great stroller, but I got very few replies so I agree the resale is tougher due to lack of familiarity.

Arivecchi, you sold your favorite stroller? Wow, the end of an era! How do you feel?

mom3boys
07-09-2011, 11:00 PM
In keeping with this, I just saw on ad on the NYC CL for a MBUD for $125, including the raincover, a protect-a-bub, 2 footmuffs and a Lascal buggyboard. That seems like an incredible deal and I would never expect to see a BOB Duallie with no accessories for less than $250 (which would be a steal). I wonder how long it will stay on CL? I mean, I saw a BOB Duallie not long ago for the awesome price of $275 and inquired about it (about a day or 2 after the post) just because of the price, and it was LONG gone. And of course, someone thought the resale price on a used MBUD would be so not worth it that I got one for FREE yesterday.

I will say I used to see lots of MBUDs around my neighborhood in 2006 or so, and some MBUS, but I rarely see them anymore since so many other ATs have entered into the market. I don't think I've ever seen a Swift or Terrain IRL and only a couple Swifts on CL. Usually on CL all I see are older MBUDs in the $200 dollar range. It's too bad because it seems to have a great push and be really "rugged" in my 1 day of MB experience.

mackmama
07-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I was shocked to see a MB on my local craigslist recently. I always see tons of Bobs and other ATs but had never seen MB before. :(

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 01:14 AM
I think it depends a lot on the area. In the city per se, there are lots of MBs. People know them here. The girl who bought mine today had the single and wanted the double since she was having another child. People who know them know what great strollers they are. It's like Valcos. They are also excellent strollers but not as well known.

I think it also depends largely on the inventory available. I had trouble selling my vista from gilt. Did not make much over the price I paid. There were just too many available at that point and I just wanted the darn thing gone.

With brands other than well known ones like BOB, Maclaren or Bugaboo, it just takes a little more time. You have to wait for a knowledgeable buyer. That does not mean that the resale value is poor IMO.

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Arivecchi, congrats on selling your Duo! Thanks Annie! I decided I would sell it if I got asking price.

Goldenpig, I am a little sad, but it was not getting much use in this new neighborhood. :(

Also, DS1 is 4.5 now and the Terrain with HH and the Ryder are more than enough for now.

I am so glad that swissair convinced me to get a Duo. It was the perfect double for us and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

goldenpig
07-10-2011, 01:41 AM
With brands other than well known ones like BOB, Maclaren or Bugaboo, it just takes a little more time. You have to wait for a knowledgeable buyer. That does not mean that the resale value is poor IMO.
:yeahthat: ITA!!!

swissair81
07-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I am so glad that swissair convinced me to get a Duo. It was the perfect double for us and I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

:D You're very welcome!!

poohbear
07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm certainly not implying they're not great strollers, but I was just wondering why people thought the resale was so poor. Sure, there were 3 other MBUDs on CL, but they were all $250 or less (one was the older model). For that price, you'd think they'd get snapped up, even if supply was high, because the price was so low. And people in Chicago tend to have a better understanding of MBs, because you can find them in quite a few stores here. Mine was the first one to disappear off CL in the week and a half it was up. So it's not like people were buying the other ones. (I did cross reference with BOB, Bumbleride, Valco, etc and I had nice pictures). Arivecchi, I don't remember how long yours was up, but I've never had that before: when I've sold something, it sells within a few days for my asking price (even my Chicco Cortina!)

Don't get me wrong - bugaboos (cams and frogs) have poor resale as well when you think about it - people buy them new for $900 and sell them 3 years later for $425 or less...
I just wondered why it was...

roseyloxs
07-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I think its brand recognition and the looks. The MB looks are underwhelming, it doesn't really appear to have a lot of bells and whistles like a Valco or BJ. They are usually black or navy (faded) and don't look all that fantastic in pictures. Not to mention I know MBs and can still count on my one hand how many I have seen in real life.

To really appreciate an MB you have to push it and unfortunately CL listings can't convey that effectively.

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I think the old MBs are a harder sell due to the skimpy canopy as well.

I had my Duo listed twice for a week each time. I am glad I kept it on CL even though I was not sure about selling because I wanted to wait for the right buyer to come along. I had a lot of lowball offers which I blew off.

I've had the same experience with pretty much all of my CL sales. Things normally take me about two weeks to sell. Valco, Uppa, Micralite, MB, Mutsy.

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I think its brand recognition and the looks. The MB looks are underwhelming, it doesn't really appear to have a lot of bells and whistles like a Valco or BJ.
I am going to have to disagree! :D. You knew that was coming right? ;)

The look of MBs are my favorite thing about them!

Here is the album I put together for my listing. I think the Duo is a beauty!

https://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/MountainBuggyDuoInBlackDot?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXrwcjy_ 5j5Jg

roseyloxs
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I am going to have to disagree! :D. You knew that was coming right? ;)

The look of MBs are my favorite thing about them!

Here is the album I put together for my listing. I think the Duo is a beauty!

https://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/MountainBuggyDuoInBlackDot?authkey=Gv1sRgCKXrwcjy_ 5j5Jg

I suppose I wasn't clear. I think they are underwhelming to others who may not know strollers very well. I love the simplicity of things so MBs are beautiful in my opinion. I also love straight lines so MB has that going on too. If I could put bumbleride fabrics on an MB frame it would be my near perfect stroller. Liners are great and all but I would rather function without them.

poohbear
07-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I suppose I wasn't clear. I think they are underwhelming to others who may not know strollers very well. I love the simplicity of things so MBs are beautiful in my opinion. I also love straight lines so MB has that going on too. If I could put bumbleride fabrics on an MB frame it would be my near perfect stroller. Liners are great and all but I would rather function without them.

Okay, I know I'm goign to get tomatoes thrown at me here, but...
I pushed the MBUD, and I was kind of underwhelmed. I mean I only had one kid in it, and I could push it with one hand, but overall it didn't do it for me. I was expecting an amazing push, and I guess I didn't think it pushed as well as my BOB or my Bee (That said, I'm sure there's a difference between pushing a single and a double, though it was prob most comparable to the P&T). I also wasn't a huge fan of the fold. This was on the old, NZ made model... And of course, the canopy stunk ;). But it was a double, and I'm used to singles, so that may be a big part of it!

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
You must have had a bum one because all three of mine have been incredibly easy to push. Or maybe your tires were not fully inflated. That makes a huge difference. Elektra has both so she is in a good position to compare!

poohbear
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
You must have had a bum one because all three of mine have been incredibly easy to push. Or maybe your tires were not fully inflated. That makes a huge difference. Elektra has both so she is in a good position to compare!

Dunno. The tires were definitely fully inflated - I pumped em up myself. And the push was nice - could steer one-handed. Just not what I was expecting, I guess... But keep in mind, I'm not used to doubles either...

ashleybama24
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I have never once seen a MB on our CL. It always amazes me when I see a Bumbleride or a Valco because those are also not very common here.

elektra
07-10-2011, 04:27 PM

I have a Duallie and also a MB swift. I previously had an MBUS. I have also pushed a loaded MBUD.
I love the look of Mountain buggies. It's a big reason why my very first stroller purchase (not counting the P3 I registered for) was my MBUS.
But if we are talking solely push, the BOB wins. However, the Mountain Buggy is not far behind, and the design and quality of the MB makes it worth the small difference in push. The BOB push is awesome, the MB push is excellent. (And I have pushed other loaded doubles before- ex. BJCC)

When I was looking for a double, the BOB's were cheaper than all others I was comparing, and they also had the best push which is why I went with the BOB. And the MBUD's also did not have the larger canopy as they do now.
If both were priced equally, and I needed a new double, I would pick a MB, even after pushing my BOB. The narrower frame and sleek look of the MBs really appeal to me.

(ETA: I do think that if you are actually going to jog, a BOB is probably the better pick.)

roseyloxs
07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
But keep in mind, I'm not used to doubles either...

It was probably that but who knows. Maybe you just don't like MBs. I think the 4 wheels also take some getting used to. After a while I actually came to prefer the 3 wheeled duallie design to the 4 of the bumbleride just because it was one less wheel that could hit a bump. Not enough to make me actually want a duallie but still I was surprised in my revelation because 4 wheels was one of my criteria when searching for a double (in hopes it would make a stroller more stable). I have to admit outside of retail shops I have only ever pushed my '04 MBUS. It didn't even have a suspension but it still glided over the sidewalk, I was really impressed. Never had the chance to push an MBUS and a BOB side by side though in real conditions.

poohbear
07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
It was probably that but who knows. Maybe you just don't like MBs. I think the 4 wheels also take some getting used to. After a while I actually came to prefer the 3 wheeled duallie design to the 4 of the bumbleride just because it was one less wheel that could hit a bump. Not enough to make me actually want a duallie but still I was surprised in my revelation because 4 wheels was one of my criteria when searching for a double (in hopes it would make a stroller more stable). I have to admit outside of retail shops I have only ever pushed my '04 MBUS. It didn't even have a suspension but it still glided over the sidewalk, I was really impressed. Never had the chance to push an MBUS and a BOB side by side though in real conditions.

Maybe? That's interesting about the 3 v 4 wheels. I had always thought 4 would be better too...

Either way, the resale would make me hesitant to buy a double if I should need one. At this point, DS would be 3 by the time we had another, so I would only need a double for about a year - in which case, I'd probably want one I could resell quickly and easily for close to what I paid...
If I was going to keep one for longer, I would def try the Duo or Duet...

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I paid $525 for my Duo and got $475. I did thrown in some accessories, but not bad IMO. I very much enjoyed it. ;)

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
But if we are talking solely push, the BOB wins. However, the Mountain Buggy is not far behind, and the design and quality of the MB makes it worth the small difference in push. The BOB push is awesome, the MB push is excellent. (And I have pushed other loaded doubles before- ex. BJCC)

Your analysis is spot on IMO.

poohbear
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I paid $525 for my Duo and got $475. I did thrown in some accessories, but not bad IMO. I very much enjoyed it. ;)

That's pretty good!

nmstrong
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I thought the mb push and bob push were comparable. But pushing two heavy kids (25 lbs and 40) up a huge hill even a slight difference is noticeable and I noticed that my bob was easier to push than my cousins new mb this last weekend. What I like better about the bob (besides the slightly better push) is the bigger seats and cupholders for kids in the seats.
I like the looks of both (newer mb only) doubles equally.
As far as resale I bought a bob duallie for 420 in dec and used almost everyday for 6 months then resold for 475 - and I didn't lie about it being almost new etc, I said it was used but in excellent shape. It sold in the same day it was listed...I bought my new version bob duallie for the same price so I felt pretty good about it.

mom2khj
07-11-2011, 08:25 AM
I think it is brand recognition, at least around here. No one has heard of them and I don't think I've seen one in a local store.

I'm going to take a huge loss on a Swift that is under 6 months old! I should've listened to my instinct and went with the Bob.

poohbear
07-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I think it is brand recognition, at least around here. No one has heard of them and I don't think I've seen one in a local store.

I'm going to take a huge loss on a Swift that is under 6 months old! I should've listened to my instinct and went with the Bob.

:( If you can ship, you should try selling on swap or strollerista. People there appreciate the swift. They usually sell for about $300 plus ship IIRC. I guess that's still a pretty big hit if you paid full price... :(

mom2khj
07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
:( If you can ship, you should try selling on swap or strollerista. People there appreciate the swift. They usually sell for about $300 plus ship IIRC. I guess that's still a pretty big hit if you paid full price... :(

This is probably what I'll end up doing, just haven't pushed forward on it because I need to mentally accept that I'll take that monetary hit, LOL. I may re-try using it again when soccer season is here, but I really don't think I'll like it any better.

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm going to take a huge loss on a Swift that is under 6 months old! I should've listened to my instinct and went with the Bob. How much did you pay for it? Full price? Were you asking for too high a price? Resale value should be anywhere from $275-350 depending on location. As poohbear said, you can offer it in strollerista or strollerswap for sale. I would try that or your nearest big city CL.

Neelloc
07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I too think it's because MB is not as well known as the BOB. Plus, around here, you can see a BOB in person at a local baby store but I bought my MB sight unseen.

I think the push is amazing and my MBUD was a workhorse for me. I used it til my girls were 4 and 6. I now have a MBUS that I got for a great price off of CL (but I had to drive to another city to get it.) I've seen people with MB's around here...a handful, but I have seen them.

roseyloxs
07-11-2011, 10:53 AM

:bighand: Very Nice! That beats me. I bought the indie twin at $550 and sold it at $450 with a couple accessories. Felt like I got more then my money's worth for 18 months of use. I think I could have gotten more if I lived closer to Seattle. Sometimes I wish I had it just so I can take pictures of it with pretty backgrounds like the Alps or a castle.

crl
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
My 2010 Swift sold for $300, iirc. It was less than a year old and in excellent condition. I included a rain cover, travel bag and infant bundle me. Given the prices of the accessories, I was a bit disappointed. I had it listed on CL for three or four weeks and had also posted on Stroller swap and strollerista. I am in San Francisco so it is a big city CL.

Catherine

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I sold my Swift for $275 to a good friend, so I gave her a good deal. (I got mine for a great price though!) A week after I sold it I saw a CL ad where someone was looking for one and offering $350! I think they have good resale value if they are in good condition. You may just have to wait for the right buyer since they are not as commonplace.

I never buy full price so it is easier to recoup my $$$ when I sell. :D

crl
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I had paid $314 for Swift, iirc. But the rain cover and travel bag were over a hundred more so over $414 total. So a sales price of $300 didn't seem great to me. Especially after going to the effort to take good pictures and write a good ad and having to relist and relist. Would have been a heck of a lot easier to sell a Bob and probably would have gotten a better return.

Catherine

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes. BOBs sell faster, but then I would have been stuck with a BOB! Not for me. ;)

swissair81
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Wow! I paid $500 for mine. I could get almost everything back. I'd prefer to kill it until it's worth nothing though :) I love my Duo!

mom2khj
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes. BOBs sell faster, but then I would have been stuck with a BOB! Not for me. ;)

Except I'm stuck with a MB, when a Bob would've sold by now (or perhaps I would've liked it and not even had to sell, LOL). ;) But that's my own fault for not listening to that niggling thought that told me not to use it yet because I wasn't 100% sure I loved it.

One day, I'll learn to listen to that voice. :ROTFLMAO:

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow! I paid $500 for mine. I could get almost everything back. I'd prefer to kill it until it's worth nothing though :) I love my Duo! I know! Awesome right? My only regret was not getting the Duo sooner. It was in perfect shape after 14-15 months of heavy use! No fading or dirty footwells.

swissair81
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I know! Awesome right? My only regret was not getting the Duo sooner. It was in perfect shape after 14-15 months of heavy use! No fading or dirty footwells.

The fabric isn't the problem. The handlebar foam is practically shredded. I'll have to buy a new one to sell it.

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
The fabric isn't the problem. The handlebar foam is practically shredded. I'll have to buy a new one to sell it.Are you within warranty? Get a new handlebar!

strollerqueen
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
It's funny, because a few years ago, MB's were in really high demand. We (on StrollerSwap, at least), were thrilled to find one even 10% off! Used ones were very scarce. I sold my fixed handlebar double for the MBUD Elite, and regretted it. I am trying to downsize (bwahaha) and sold my EW QTRO this week-end. Even listing it half off retail, and it was brand new, I took a $50 hit. But it was between keeping that, or my 50's MBUS. I didn't want two brown A/T's. :D

swissair81
07-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Are you within warranty? Get a new handlebar!

How long is warranty? I bought it last May or June?

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I dunno. I got a replacement one because mine was dented from shipping. I see that your ebay seller states it has a two year warranty. Maybe contact them as well?

swissair81
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I dunno. I got a replacement one because mine was dented from shipping. I see that your ebay seller states it has a two year warranty. Maybe contact them as well?

That's a good idea.