PDA

View Full Version : 40+ Years of Accumulation

LD92599
07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Mom is selling her home of 40+ years to move in with us. There's not much room here for "stuff".

Any tips from BTDT on the best way to sort everything? I had a trash bag (truly trash) ready and she stopped me from taking it outside, wanting to go through it piece by piece. She pulled a few things out to keep/give away/sell that I know will end up in the trash!

Help!

HIU8
07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
MIL is going through this now. she wants to sell and rent a small apartment. I've been attempting to get MIL to go about it this way: trash, sell, give away. So 3 piles. Trash goes out immediately. She is resistant to this b/c she feels everything (yes, including some stuff I consider trash) has a story and meaning and she "can't" get rid of it. Truth is, most of her stuff will end up in the trash. It's simply not sellable, but you cannot tell her this. We are attempting to hire a person/company who specializes in emptying a house to downsize and move. I think having a stranger help her may make the process go faster.

karstmama
07-09-2011, 04:48 PM
see if you can watch many 'clean sweep' shows. bonus if you can get her to watch! then you'll be armed with handy phrases like 'if it's been in a closet for 10 years, you're not respecting it, so let it go...' and lean hard on goodwill - 'ooh, this thingamabob has some life left in it! someone who needs one would love to find it at the goodwill!'

mrshalco
07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I'll be watching this post carefully! We need to do this at my parent's house.....my mom is a borderline hoarder! UGH I dread it!

kristac
07-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Get a dumpster delivered. Throw something gross in it so she is not tempted to go dumpster diving. Good luck.

LD92599
07-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Get a dumpster delivered. Throw something gross in it so she is not tempted to go dumpster diving. Good luck.

Love this! Except she's in a wheelchair, so it's more like armchair diving!

MoJo
07-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Dreading this here, too.

Would she go for taking pictures of the trash she treasures? (and then letting go of the actual item?)

As a further step, would she take time to write out her stories to go with the pictures? And maybe give you a chance to get some other work done?

I just thought that might turn a negative into a positive for her. This has to be very hard for her.

I also agree with the idea of "someone would love to have this" and maybe have a thrift store pick up arranged to motivate everyone involved to have stuff sorted by that time. Even I'm motivated by the idea of someone else getting use out of things I no longer love.

LD92599
07-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Dreading this here, too.

Would she go for taking pictures of the trash she treasures? (and then letting go of the actual item?)

As a further step, would she take time to write out her stories to go with the pictures? And maybe give you a chance to get some other work done?

I just thought that might turn a negative into a positive for her. This has to be very hard for her.

I also agree with the idea of "someone would love to have this" and maybe have a thrift store pick up arranged to motivate everyone involved to have stuff sorted by that time. Even I'm motivated by the idea of someone else getting use out of things I no longer love.

Great idea about the pictures! i also offered to have a quilt made of her favorite T's and dress shirts she saved from my dad (and, they were my favorites too!).