PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy stage

HIU8
07-09-2011, 04:50 PM
DD is 4. Over the last several months she has gotten clumsier. She has always thrown her body around, but now she still does it and hits her head, smashes her fingers, bams her feet agains things etc... and they sits there and cries like there is no tomorrow. We have tried to help her notice/realize that she cannot just literally throw herself around b/c she will get hurt. I also have noticed that she trips a lot more than usual (her shoes are not to big or to small --I know that can be an issue). Is this a phase as a child grows (she only grew 3 inches and gained 3 lbs from age 3 -4). Oh, DD is also a mess when it comes to eating. She spills drinks and food is always all over the floor. I have discussed this with her ped. DD is not low tone or anything, in fact, she is way ahead on gross motor and fine motor (she was tested via infants and toddlers last yr). It's getting concerning to me though that DD does this.

daisymommy
07-09-2011, 05:11 PM
It could just be growing into her own body--many kids are this way.

Or, it could be some sensory integration issues at play here. When kids are "out of touch" with their own body's space and movement, crashing and banging and bumping around, that's a red flag. Also, the food messiness (un-coordination with feeding) is on this list.
http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

HIU8
07-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I know about the sensory stuff. DS has SPD. DD has been tested and she does not have sensory issues. Which is why this was bothering me. She has always been a messy eater--she sits way back and refuses to eat over. I sort of feel like she may just be growing into her body.