PDA

View Full Version : Baby crib to garden trellis

Jo..
07-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I have been mulling over ideas since the cps banned drop sided cribs. I am SO doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5elSunD0s

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Dude is a bit overly enthusiastic but great idea!!

Beth

EllasMum
07-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I love this idea! I have DD's old dropside crib sitting in our basement storage room. Every now and then, I glance at it and wonder how I can repurpose it. If I had a bigger flower garden (and a forgiving condo board ;)), I would totally build the trellis! I have a clematis that is outgrowing my little wire one.

megs4413
07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
only you, dude. LOL! love!

sewarsh
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
i love it! I'm definately goign to do something like that with ours in a few years once Baby #3 is done with it. Thanks!

vdrake71
07-10-2011, 12:03 AM
I am also looking for ideas for our crib (along with my mom's and my MIL's crib). So far I have seen:
- Art easels
- Toy box
- Couch
- Twin Bed
- Fence in garden
- Picture frames

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Jo..
07-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I did it. :)

I didn't have the same crib as that guy (mine had rounded end panels) so I couldn't make the cute little house. I used the two side panels as a squash teepee and zip tied them together at the top. I still have the end panels and the metal mattress support leftover that I need to figure out where to use.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/001-56.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/002-41.jpg

blue
07-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I did it. :)

Looks great :thumbsup:. Thanks for sharing.

hellokitty
07-11-2011, 12:44 AM
That is a totally awesome idea! I have been wanting to make a teepee style trellis for cucumbers and this would be perfect! Jo, I am in awe of your garden! It looks fantastic the way you have it set up!

sewarsh
07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Great job! I think I may just lean mine against our house and use as a trellis that way. My garden is WAAAYYYY smaller than yours!

sunshine873
07-11-2011, 08:37 AM
OK, that guy is a little overly-excited, but it's a great idea!

Jo, your garden is GORGEOUS! I'm totally jealous, especially since I just moved to a townhouse with no yard. :( (who am I kidding, I didn't have a garden when I did have a yard, but I'm still jealous & in awe of your garden!)

trales
07-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Jo -

Your garden it to die for. It is amazing. I can't even believe it. WOW.

MommyofAmaya
07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
:bowdown: Awesome garden!

Jo..
07-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys, your words made my day, especially since I have just made the tough decision to pull the plug on my annuals and let my garden die this year. We've had record breaking heat and drought...strings of temps in the 105-115 range, and no rain. I have been watering like crazy (7 hours every 3 days) and things are still burning up. I did the hard math last night and realized that I am spending 70 hours and an extra $250 per month just to keep things alive.

The bright side is that I will keep my fruit trees and other perenials alive, and they will come back next year and hopefully show their gratitude :). We've only been here four years so my fruit trees are pretty young, and due to a late frost we had no production this year (we had temps in the 90s in march which forced early blossoming, then WHAMMO, a freeze).

I have 19 fruit trees including mulberries, bush cherries, figs, apples, Asian pears, Nectarines, and plums. This year I managed to get a handful of cherries, as many mulberries as we could eat, and one apple. :ROTFLMAO:

I have 15 blueberry bushes, 12 blackberry bushes, and 3 raspberries. We did eat a LOT of berries this year. I have three strawberry beds that gave us 26 quarts of strawberries. I will make sure those live.

I have 8 hydrangeas that I don't know what I was thinking when I planted them...they need constant water, but I am determined to keep them alive. I planted a row of evergreen trees as a Northern windbreak a few years ago, and I water them for about 4 hours weekly. It's just insane.

My tomatoes, cucs, herbs, and flowers are all going to veggie heaven, and hopefully I can cut next month's watering (and water bill) in half.

I am going to adopt a smarter strategy for next year and be more careful about the non drought loving edibles I plant. This year I had 20ish tomato plants, and while we have had tomatoes coming out our ears for the last month, they are burned to a crisp and almost done. I think I will learn to love to eat cactus and tumbleweed.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet, and so far this year we have harvested and eaten about $600 in organic produce. It will likely be 1000 by year end, as we can garden well into the fall with less heat and drought stress. Still, I need to at least triple that by next year to justify the time and money I put into it (water, seeds, organic amendments). This year it's a money sink.

Here are a couple more pics. The back part is dedicated to my baby orchard, and the sides of the fences are lined with blueberries and blackberries. My garden is almost ten times the size of my house, and we have a love/hate relationship at the moment. Next year will be better, right?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/003-40.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/010-22.jpg

infomama
07-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for sharing pics of your garden! :heartbeat:
I aspire to do two big above ground planter boxes next year so you are an inspiration!!