PDA

View Full Version : Nap schedule for a 4 month old

Lupe
07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
My DS is pretty good in the morning and early afternoon, but in the early evening it all starts to fall apart. It started recently, so I am not sure if his naps are changing or what. He used to nap 10-11, 1-2 and 4-5
Recently he started napping longer. From 9:30-11 and then from 1:30-3
by 5:30 he is really cranky, but it seems too early to go to bed
If I keep him awake and put him down 7 or so, he just keeps waking up until 9ish. Does this mean that it will be better to let him nap around 5;5:30 and put him down 8:8-30. He naps in his swing but goes to bed in his crib
The Ferber book says that an early evening nap is typical for this age, but Baby411 says to end all naps by 5, I am confused

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Toss the books and do what works for you. There isn't a real right or wrong answer- just people trying to sell a book by acting like they figured it all out. :)

At 4m I don't worry about bad habits or routines as much. They are still just doing what they need. 6m I start to be a bit more consistent.

I think it is a really hard thing to keep a baby awake 2 extra hours. An overtired baby often sleeps worse. A nap is fine, even better if you have the option of having a slightly later bedtime. I would do the 5-5:30 nap and bedtime at 8-8:30. You could try to cut the nap a bit short if it is going on a bit long and you are worried about it interfering later.

I was very into the books with ds1 but ds2 I just winged it and the outcomes were pretty similar!

GL!
Beth