PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale pricing help

bnme
07-09-2011, 08:47 PM
We are having our first yard sale next Saturday. I am really only doing it because a bunch of neighbors are and my kids are excited about it. I don't ever shop yard sales so I am clueless on pricing. Below is a sample of some of the items we will be selling. I would love to have some pointers on pricing them.

- M&D floor puzzles (we have 8)
- board games (Deigo bingo & Candy Land DVD game)
- DVDs and CDs that are about 10yo
- books
- Volo stroller in mint condition
- clothes
- matchbox cars
- lunch boxes (I have about 10 soft sided lunch coolers, mostly aquired during kids preschool years when I would let them pick a new one every September)

We really don't have a lot because we have a small house and I am pretty good about donating things we don't use (except for the lunch boxes). TIA!

candaceb
07-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't know about the rest of it, but I would list the Volo separately on craigslist - you can give the time/location for the yard sale to see it, but that way you'd get the attention of people looking for that specific item. They are usually listed for about $40-50 on my cl.

vdrake71
07-09-2011, 11:38 PM
These are the prices that I typically see:

$3.00 (The range is typically $1.00-$3.00)
$2.00
CDs are $1.00/DVDs are $1-3.00
- books
Kids books are .50 soft/$1.00 card cover. I have even been able to get soft cover kids books for .10 or .25.
Adult books range for .50 or $1.00
- clothes
$1.00 an item. If you would really want to get rid of it .50 an item.
- matchbox cars
.25 a piece or 5 for a $1.00
- lunch boxes (I have about 10 soft sided lunch coolers, mostly aquired during kids preschool years when I would let them pick a new one every September)
$1.00 a piece

Also, at a certain time, you might want to go 1/2 price to get rid of everything.

crl
07-09-2011, 11:39 PM
First my yard sale philosophy is to make the stuff go away, so I try to price low.

For books, if they are paperback kid books or board books, I'd say a quarter each or five for a dollar max. If they are nice hardbacks, maybe fifty cents each. If they are grown up books, good luck giving them away. I'd price them at ten for a dollar or for free.

Kids clothes, I'd price at a maximum of a dollar a piece except for jackets or really nice things. Adult clothes, again, good luck giving them away. No more than five dollars an item.

If the puzzles have all their pieces and are in good condition, I think you could go two dollars each. Same with the games.

Old DVDs and CDs, maybe a quarter each.

Matchbox cars, I'd do five cents each.

The volo is worth a bit and you'd do better selling it separately on CL most likely, but you could always put it in the sale and not sell it if you don't get your price. I'd check CL for what they are going for, but MacLarens hold their value pretty well usually.

Lunch boxes, maybe $3 each?

Catherine

catsnkid
07-09-2011, 11:47 PM
these are the prices I would find reasonable and actually buy.

1 or 2 dollars

2 dollars if in good conditions
2.00 DVD 1.00 CDs

- books
.25 cents for most kid books, .50 cents or 3/dollar adult books

I have no idea, I would try a consignment store

- clothes

for kids clothes, 50 cents each or 1.00 each unless really nice stuff. More for jackets. If stuff is 1.00 I get much more choosy about what I will pick out.

- matchbox cars

25 cents

- lunch boxes

depending on condition, at most 2.00 dollars
s). TIA!

bnme
07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks! This is a huge help! I am going to try CL for the Volo.

Melaine
07-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I agree with the above pricing range. I hope it goes well. I am slowly making plans for an early fall yard sale. I can't wait to get it over with, frankly.