PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Etsy shop?

Melaine
07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Wanna chat about it? I feel like there may have been a thread about this, but I cannot find anything by searching.
I am thinking about opening one. I would love to at least make enough money to buy new crafting supplies maybe if not actually make a profit. I have a couple questions, if you could help me.

Is Etsy so flooded with products that a new shop owner with no feedback has no chance at selling anything?

How do you report the money for taxes?
How do you know how much to charge for shipping?
Any tips for getting a lot of hits?
If I list an item and then sell it locally, can I remove it without penalty?

Anything else I should know about this before I get into it? I'm assuming it makes more sense to stock up a lot of stuff and then list it all at once. Or should I open a store and list one thing at a time as I make it? Thanks for any advice. Just something I have been thinking about.

boilermakermom
07-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I do not have an etsy shop, so I can not directly answer your questions. However, I purchase off etsy quite a bit, and would love to help support fellow BBB. Anyone interested in listing their shops?

Melaine
07-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I do not have an etsy shop, so I can not directly answer your questions. However, I purchase off etsy quite a bit, and would love to help support fellow BBB. Anyone interested in listing their shops?

I would also love to browse any shops from the BBB, so please share the links (assuming this is allowed?)

DietCokeLover
07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
What are you planning to sell?

Melaine
07-17-2011, 10:26 AM
What are you planning to sell?

Well, first I thought I would list napkins for back to school lunch boxes. I would also love to do snack bags but I haven't perfected my pattern on those. I don't like the velcro ones I did, so I want to try lined zipper snack bags.

The thing is, it is shocking how cheap some etsy stores are for these products! And there are some fabulous fabrics people have as well. At least with the napkins and snack bags I won't have to spend much if any money on materials (just scraps from my stash) and they could easily be used or given as gifts if they don't sell. I have a few other ideas but nothing concrete. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also wanted to bump up this thread for any other Etsy BBBers, both sellers and frequent buyers who have tips.

teedeedee
07-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I would love any advice about getting started on etsy too. I have been wanting to jump in, but like you, Melanie, I can't imagine how to get started when I'd have no feedback/reviews and there are so many sellers.

Melaine
07-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I would love any advice about getting started on etsy too. I have been wanting to jump in, but like you, Melanie, I can't imagine how to get started when I'd have no feedback/reviews and there are so many sellers.

Maybe we could do a product swap and give each other feedback that way. I have heard of people doing that. I have positive feedback from sellers but not sure if that translates like it does on ebay.

BeachBum
07-17-2011, 11:38 AM

I personally don't have a problem buying inexpensive things without feedback. For me it's more a matter of actually finding what I'm looking for.
For example with the snack bags, I would probably look at every page in search of the cutest ones. Or if I saw someone who had cute fabric a couple of times I'd go to their store to see their other choices.
I would be less likely to buy from someone who only had a very few items listed.

Melaine
07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I personally don't have a problem buying inexpensive things without feedback. For me it's more a matter of actually finding what I'm looking for.
For example with the snack bags, I would probably look at every page in search of the cutest ones. Or if I saw someone who had cute fabric a couple of times I'd go to their store to see their other choices.
I would be less likely to buy from someone who only had a very few items listed.

Thanks that is good to know. I feel kind of the same way about shopping etsy as well.

Meatball Mommie
07-17-2011, 04:49 PM

I shop from etsy quite a bit - mostly for gifts, but also for myself. I don't hesitate to buy from smaller shops or new etsy sellers (you have to start somewhere, right?) as long as I like what they're selling. I usually have an idea of what I'm looking for and then I browse until I find a fabric choice, etc. that I like. A lot of the time, I convo the shop owner to ask a question or make a request and their response and the time it takes for them to respond is a deciding factor.

I am actually in the market for snack bags for my 2 boys - if you happen to have fabric w/ the jolly roger or fire flames or anything big boy-ish, let me know. I'd happily give you the business and then (of course) leave some positive feedback to get you started.

I really like etsy and I like to purchase from other moms. I think that most moms like to support one another, so I'd include that info in your info section as well. I also like it when the seller includes a business card (some look like they printed them themself, but it doesn't matter to me) - it just seems like they are proud of their product and they want you to spread the word. I save all the ones I receive and if I'm in the market for a similar product, I go to those sellers first.

eta: I also like shops where they have the same item in multipe fabric choices. Even if you don't have them sewn yet, just showing the other choices is a good idea.

ourbabygirl
07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I've only bought a couple of necklaces from etsy, but have looked through numerous pages on etsy for all sorts of things (favors for kids' bday parties, iSpy bags, personalized t-shirts, etc.). I actually didn't even pay attention to how many items they've sold, but paid more attention to their page, if there were typos and other stuff I figured they might not be that professional (or at least could've taken more time to clean that stuff up), also tried to determine that based on the pictures posted, the quality and variety of the items in the pictures posted, also the general tone of the blurb- if they seemed like they'd be easy to work with and like nice, happy people (as opposed to snarky and like they weren't willing to take in my ideas to create the product).
Cost is definitely a factor for me; if it seems like someone is way-overcharging on their items, I won't waste my time with them, and production and shipping time could be a factor, too, if people want something quickly for a special occasion, etc.
Anyhow, that's my two cents. :)

AustenFan
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I have an etsy shop--mods, delete if I'm not allowed to say this, but it's called The Pemberley Seamstress (you can find it if you search for shops). I sell felt tea party type food (scones, teabags, etc). I got into it because we bought our kids a toy kitchen for Christmas, but etsy sellers weren't really making the kinds of foods I wanted. So I made a bunch of food to go with it and posted pictures on our family blog, and all my friends told me I should totally sell it! So I made sets up ahead of time and started up with about 10 items. I sold a few things to friends, but I didn't have a ton of money to market, only two of my buyers left feedback, and most of the friends who said they would buy stuff from me have not done so. For advertising, I made business cards that I've left at local kid oriented places, but I don't think that has brought in any business. I created a facebook fan page and spent $50 in credit for a facebook ad for my business, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm not good at marketing, my friends don't pass along my info, and with only two reviews, I think browsers are more likely to buy from established sellers with a ton of positive reviews than from me. I've let some of my items expire because I'm just not getting the business I'd hoped. If I decide to try harder once we move into our new home in a couple weeks, I'll look into joining more circles and teams. Haven't had time to do that yet, which is probably why I'm doing too hot.

So that's my lukewarm experience. To answer some of your other questions, I've only made about $35 thusfar, so I think that might qualify as a hobby for tax purposes? My husband might have to pull out his old tax law textbook to check that out. I figured shipping by weighing a few of the items at the post office kiosk. Then I just checked shipping charges on the usps website and estimated accordingly. I got some extra hits when I hosted a giveaway on a friend's blog, but that didn't translate into sales, so I'm not sure I'll try that again. You pay 20 cents to post an item, and if you sell it locally (I'm assuming you mean not through etsy), you can take it down but are still out the 20 cents. And as far as making money, I tried charging the cost of materials plus $5/hr for my time. I cost more than some other felt food sellers, but I use more expensive (higher quality) felt. So for someone who doesn't care about the quality, I might seem too expensive. But I'm personally willing to pay more for items made of cuter and more expensive fabric, so I was hoping to appeal to that audience.

I would love to have a list of other BBBers' etsy shops, as I'm finding myself shopping there for gifts more and more, and I'd prefer to support someone I "know".:)