PDA

View Full Version : Ok Google Plus people- what do y'all think?

elektra
07-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Initial thoughts?
I like the idea of circles. I think Facebook has this too with the lists but the circles thing seems easier.
The rest is not as intuitive to me. I could not figure out where the "status" box was.
I have only played around with it briefly, but I am wondering if it will be a long term thing for me or not.

And I did not like the mobile device experience on my iphone and iPad.

I feel like this is just the Android/Google thing and I am more of an Apple/Facebook person.

We shall see!

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I am so out of it. What is Google+??

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I hated it and deleted my profile. I did not like the fact that it automatically linked my existing picasa web albums with my profile. There seemed no way to de-link them, so I had to delete my profile. I did not find it user-friendly at all.

I do not think of it as an apple/droid thing. My droid x is perfectly user friendly. Goggle + is not.

So far, it's a #fail for me.

C99
07-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Google + told me that my Picasa Web albums that were not public were visible only to me.

So far, I like it, but don't have a lot of people within my circle yet.

arivecchi
07-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Right, but if you have public albums under a Picasa username, google plus automatically links them to your real name and google profile.

Anyone know if there is a way to delink?

momm
07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Yep. That totaly freaked me out too.

To delink picase from google + you go to edit profile. In that it shows you the list of links linked to you. Picasa is there by default. If you hover over the picasa, there is an X to the right side .. Click it to delete/ delink

FYI if you leave it linked, only the people who have been given permisssions to view the photos can view. Not everyone.

I would rather just delink in any case

lhafer
07-10-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't find it very user friendly so far. I have lots of people in my circles, but I guess it's so new - I'm not sure what to use them for. And I have yet to figure out how to invite people, or get to their email addresses. I see them, but I can't click on it.

Jury is still out.

mommylamb
07-10-2011, 08:15 AM
So far, I'm not blown away. I think I'll be sticking with Facebook.

kboyle
07-10-2011, 11:28 AM
so far i don't have many "friends" on there, but it doesn't really seem very user friendly like other posters have said.

BabyBearsMom
07-10-2011, 12:42 PM
So far, I'm not blown away. I think I'll be sticking with Facebook.

:yeahthat: It just feels like a facebook rip off. I haven't been impressed with Google's other attempts at Social Networking (Wave, Buzz etc.) and this looks like another one to add ot the list. I like the ease of use of the circles, but I find it confusing overall.

lilycat88
07-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I haven't been able to try it. Apparently, my last name violates their community standards. I'm an almost 42 year old mom of a 7 year old and a 1 year old I haven't violated a community standard in probably 20 years. :innocent:

stillplayswithbarbies
07-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but the only entity I trust less than Facebook with my personal data is Google.

MontrealMum
07-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Yep. That totaly freaked me out too.

To delink picase from google + you go to edit profile. In that it shows you the list of links linked to you. Picasa is there by default. If you hover over the picasa, there is an X to the right side .. Click it to delete/ delink

FYI if you leave it linked, only the people who have been given permisssions to view the photos can view. Not everyone.

I would rather just delink in any case

I just checked this out and it says that my Google+ is not linked to anything yet. No mention of Picasa or anything else, yet I know I had to choose to link them when I joined. And when I click photos from my homepage it has all my Picasa albums there. WTH? Anyone have other tips or ideas for how to unlink them?

Penny's Pappa
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
So far I like it. There's potential there and they've done some things that Facebook should have done a long time ago.

Circles is fantastic. I love that I can tailor my postings to a particular Circle or combination thereof. Yes, FB has Lists, but it's very cumbersome compared to Google+.

I'm interested to see how Sparks works. I assume it's like an RSS feed and once a new post is made, it'll show up in my stream. Problem is, I'm not a big RSS guy.

Biggest gripe thus far is the bland, monotonous look. Now, Google isn't known for their flamboyantly designed pages (quite the opposite), but I'd like it if each of my Circles' stream pages had a different look. Customization would be ideal, but even different colors for each stream would be an improvement.

I dunno, it's nothing ground-breaking, IMO, and it would take an revolutionary step to get me to switch over completely (think about the whole MySpace to Facebook transition, IYKWIM), but there are some good ideas here.

larig
07-10-2011, 10:02 PM
So far I like it. There's potential there and they've done some things that Facebook should have done a long time ago.

Circles is fantastic. I love that I can tailor my postings to a particular Circle or combination thereof. Yes, FB has Lists, but it's very cumbersome compared to Google+.

I'm interested to see how Sparks works. I assume it's like an RSS feed and once a new post is made, it'll show up in my stream. Problem is, I'm not a big RSS guy.

Biggest gripe thus far is the bland, monotonous look. Now, Google isn't known for their flamboyantly designed pages (quite the opposite), but I'd like it if each of my Circles' stream pages had a different look. Customization would be ideal, but even different colors for each stream would be an improvement.

I dunno, it's nothing ground-breaking, IMO, and it would take an revolutionary step to get me to switch over completely (think about the whole MySpace to Facebook transition, IYKWIM), but there are some good ideas here.

you know, the original mac os designer designed it.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/28/google_gave_original_mac_designer_free_rein_on_new _google_ui.html

Penny's Pappa
07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
you know, the original mac os designer designed it.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/28/google_gave_original_mac_designer_free_rein_on_new _google_ui.html

I did not know that, and I didn't know who Hertzfeld was, but after reading that article, that all makes sense. I do like the look of Circles. I kinda wish the images were a bit bigger, but whatever. The Circles interface is nice. I just don't like the main Stream pages. Regardless of which Circle's stream you're looking at, the page itself looks the same: bland and minimalistic.