PDA

View Full Version : DVC -- talk to me

hillview
07-10-2011, 08:37 AM
We are considering a DVC membership. We've been staying at the poly the last couple of years and expect we will keep going for the next 7 years at least (after that we may go more like every other year and let the boys bring friends). BTDT? Thoughts?

Right now we are thinking resale, BCV, no financing needed.

Thoughts?
TIA!
/hillary

egoldber
07-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Buy points for the resort you want to stay at to get the best booking opportunities. We own at BWV which is always a little cheaper than BCV. For whatever reason, BCV is always a premium.

We have 220 points at BWV which allows us to get two 2 BR villas every 3 years plus generally one more stay stay in those 3 years at a 1BR villa. Those are low season, not high season stays. We co-own with my MIL/FIL and use the points for extended family vacations.

Sometimes we wish we owned more points, but we decided it was more cost effective to just pay OOP at a Value or Moderate the other times we want to go. Since you tend to stay Deluxe more than we do, I'm not sure where that break even proposition is for you.

JTsMom
07-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I know Mousesavers.com has some good info. Beyond that, I've got nothing. ;)

hillview
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Beth and Lori. Beth do feel like you get good value / use out of it? Do you wish you hadn't spent the cash? Glad you did?
Thanks!

clc053103
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
We own at BLT, we could not do resale as it was a new location and there were not any available, but once we stayed there we knew we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. Ita with Beth that you should buy somewhere that you truly want to stay. I have friends who bought saratoga springs resale, they hate it but end up there just about every trip due to lack of availability anywhere else.
honestly, we go back and forth on if it was worth it. As long as Disney keeps offering40 percent off room rates and free dining, then we probably could do the same stay annually for less as a cash guest. However, some day the discounts could stop, and then we would be getting a better deal with dvc. It does get you a nice discount on annual passes and a few other perks. However, we find we are not treated any better than a one time cash guest, particularly at BLT as you use the Contemporary lobby and front desk and they are notoriously bad. Though occasionally a cm yells "welcome home" at you!
I definitely think resale is the way to go, it's a considerable savings though you do have to wait through Disney's rightof first refusal, which is fine unless you are approaching the 11 month window for booking reservations and it's holding you up. From the situation you describe though, it sounds like it is worth looking into for your family!

megan973
07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
We purchased resale 5 years ago (and have since sold it, but that was nothing to do with Disney). I know that BCV is very tough to find, but it also depends on how many points you have.

There is a new rule that points purchased via the resale market cannot be used for exchanges and the Disney Cruise Line. If that doesn't matter to you, I think resale is the way to go. We purchased from GMAC and sold through The Timeshare Store. They both had positives and negatives.

I agree with a PP that there have been so many cash sales lately that I'm sort of glad we sold. Also, we're renting DVC points from a friend for an upcoming trip and it was $50 cheaper than a 40% discount at the Carribbean Beach. I'm sure they're just covering their payments, but I think it is cheaper is the very long run.

llama8
07-19-2011, 08:12 AM
My family has had vacation club for years. It is the greatest thing. We have stayed numerous times at Beach club, saratoga, BLT. My parents have taken Baltic and Mediterranean cruises and a vacations by Disney trip. My brother is going to take his honeymoon next year at the new Hawaii resort,

My parents are in Canada right now staying in a hotel on points awaiting their Alaska Disney cruise (all on points).

We plan on taking the kids down in 2 years.

It is a great investment if you plan to use it and you don't only have to use it at WDW resort.