PDA

View Full Version : Weird q- FA child and the farm

ShanaMama
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
We'd like to take the kids to a family owned farm where they allow the kids to interact with the goats, chicks & maybe other animals too. DD2 is allergic to milk & eggs, among other things. Should I be concerned about her coming in contact with the animals? I would not allow her to touch eggs but i'm not sure about the chicks. Think they allow goat milking, which I'd love to do with my girls. I don't even think she's allergic to goats' milk (never really thought about it....) should I just go with the flow & see if she reacts to anything?
(Fwiw she's on daily Zyrtec so I'm not concerned about hay rides or anything environmental.)
Thanks!

Elilly
07-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Has she had a contact reaction before? Has she had anaphylaxis before? If either of those answers are "yes" then I wouldn't chance it.

KpbS
07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Our ped allergist says that goat's milk protein is very similar to cow's milk and I would not risk it if your DD has a classic allergic response to milk. My DS1 has a delayed gi reaction right now but DS2 still reacts quickly so I would steer them to a different activity or provide something for DS2 to do while DS1 participated in the goat milking.

ShanaMama
07-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you both. I did not realize that goat's milk is similar to cow's milk & was wondering as I posted why we've never considered it as an alternative. She is considered severely allergic although thank G-d we've never had anaphylaxis. I wonder if that could be because she's on Zyrtec every day of the year.

Gracemom
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
My DD reacted with a bad rash around her eyes when we went to a petting zoo. She pet a rabbit and reacted very quickly. She is allergic to cats but had never been exposed to rabbits. I'm glad I had benadryl with me!

ShanaMama
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, it went very well. I didn't want her holding the chicks (I am nuts, I know) but could not keep her away from the adorable baby goats. We are all ready to adopt one! Her expression was so sweet as she pet it & 'held' it (with me). We didn't end up staying for the milking but watching the sheep get sheared (sp?) was pretty awesome! I love farms- I'm glad we went.

KpbS
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
So glad you had a good time! Sounds very memorable :)