PDA

View Full Version : Is 7 too young for a loft bed?

MMMommy
07-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Saw a cute and practical loft bed the other day. Full size bed on top, desk configuration underneath the loft. DD1 is 7 (turns 8 in January). She really wants this loft bed and has been asking for a desk for her room for a while now. This would solve any space issues, since the desk is built-in under the bed. Is 7 too young for this type of bed?

sariana
07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I usually see 6 given as the minimum age for a bunk bed, which is the same idea. So your DD should be fine as long as she is not a restless sleeper. (I still find my DS backwards or crossways on his bed sometimes.)

I love those loft beds with the desks beneath, but my DH refuses to consider them. He likes to use up all the wall space in the room, since our DC's rooms are so large (NOT).

dcmom2b3
07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
I've been looking at loft beds recently, and IIRC all the manufacturers' websites that have age recommendations say that 6 is the minimum age for sleeping in the top bunk or loft beds.

That said, Bunny's BFF has slept in a loft bed since he was 4-ish, or maybe younger, with no mishaps. He's an extrordinarily careful and conscientious child, though.

Your DD should be fine.

MMMommy
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't know why I am questioning it, b/c DDs shared an IKEA bunk bed for about 6 months a while back. It should be the same concept, so I don't know why I am concerned. DD1 would love it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Melanie
07-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm sure it depends upon the child, but my son got one around age 6 and my daughter age 4 (after my son had had one for two years).

Having said that, we have the giant ikea ones so Dh cut them down to a height that we felt safer about. I would never had them sleeping 72" off the ground!

geochick
07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
6 and over are typically fine. If your dd is uncoordinated in any way, I'd hold off. My 7yo LOVES his bunk beds.