PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch or iPad?

randomkid
07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
We have a rewards system at work for referring new employees. I have now accumulated enough points for some nice gifts. We just received our 40" 3D HDTV this past week (40" was the biggest we could get and still have it fit in our wall unit that is a nice piece of furniture, not some cheapy thing). I know I want a new gas grill and will still have enough points left over to get something else. They currently do not have iPads on the site, but indicate that they will. In 6 months, I would have enough points to get an iPad. Right now, I have enough to get a 4th generation iPod Touch. I'm not a really techy kind of person, so keep that in mind. If you have or have had both, what are the pros and cons? I'm not really sure I need the iPad and would like something portable. However, I thought I would come here first and get some thoughts. I do not have an iPhone, btw.

MMMommy
07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Even if you don't have an iPhone, do you have a smartphone? If you have any kind of smartphone, I would probably wait and get the iPad. I would imagine you could do the same things on any smartphone that you could do on an iPod touch, but I'm not sure.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I agree with pp. I have an iPod touch and ipad2. They r both useful to me, but I dOnt have a smartphone. If I did already have a smartphone I would just get the iPad.

iPod touch is nice for onehanded use (eg other hand holding baby)

randomkid
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I do not have a Smartphone, just a plain old talk and text phone. Can I reply to e-mail on an ipod touch?

randomkid
07-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree with pp. I have an iPod touch and ipad2. They r both useful to me, but I dOnt have a smartphone. If I did already have a smartphone I would just get the iPad.

iPod touch is nice for onehanded use (eg other hand holding baby)

What can you do with the ipad that you cannot do with the ipod touch? See? I told you I am illiterate about this stuff!

BayGirl2
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Ipod touch will not work like a phone, but if you are on a wireless network you can use email. An iPad can have a cellular signal so you can use it w/o wireless, it depends on the model, but its not a phone either.

Regardless, I would definitely get an iPad. The screen size and better graphics give it many more uses. You are better able to use it as an e-reader, to read magazines or books, and there are a lot of great kid-friendly apps that work better with the bigger form factor. I have an iPhone and an iPad and now rarely use the iPhone for anything more than making calls and texting, because the screen on the iPad makes everything that much better. Its like the difference between watching TV on a 12" B&W kitchen TV vs. a big screen HDTV. You will enjoy the big screen better and naturally gravitate to it because its easier to navigate - but with the iPad its still portable. Its also easier to type on the iPad, especially in landscape mode; typing on an iPod Touch is more like thumb texting.

crl
07-10-2011, 02:55 PM
:yeahthat: iPad

Catherine

kbud
07-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a touch, dh has an iPad. It depends on what you'd use it for. Mine is used for productivity- grocery lists, to do list, address book, budget tracking, etc. So being able to carry it around in my purse is a must. Music is on it too that I listen to in the car. For me an iPad would not work. My dh loves his IPad he plays games mostly and Internet surfing.

niccig
07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Depends on how you will use it. We have both.

I have an iPod touch and I carry it with me everywhere, and I carry a cell phone. I use the calendar, to do functions, other apps. I can access my email or college website (back in school) if I have wifi.

The iPad is only kept at home or when we travel - best investment for our annual 14 hour flight to my parents. DH uses it when I've got the laptop tied up with school work. I don't like typing on the iPad, so for eg. I'll look at the BBB on it, but I'll rarely reply. I'm faster on the laptop keyboard.

jamesmom
07-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Definitely an ipad.

HallsofVA
07-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I just hit an anniversary milestone with my employer, and one of the gifts I can chose is a 4G ipod touch, but one with the minimal amount of memory. I have a blackberry, kindle and ipod nano 5G, but no ipad or iphone. I can't decide whether its worthwhile to get it or look for something else, so I was glad to see the OP's question.

wellyes
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I had a touch, got an iPad, then I got an iphone.
My conclusion from using them is : iPad is awesome for home use. The iPhone is incredible for out and about . The Touch is a sad crippled iPhone wannabe.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-10-2011, 09:56 PM
What can you do with the ipad that you cannot do with the ipod touch? See? I told you I am illiterate about this stuff!

well first of all it's easier to type and browse on an iPad than it is on an iTouch. bigger screen and such you can view the "regular" version of a website vs. the mobile version (e.g. amazon.com, etc).

the great thing about the ipod though, as others said, is that you can take it everywhere..it fits in a purse. we keep the ipad at home all the time, unless we are traveling.

i sorta agree with wellyes that itouch is sad crippled iphone, LOL...with ipod u can only use internet if you are near wifi. so for us we only use it at home and at restaurants etc that have wifi. the other thing that sucks about itis the camera doesn't autofocus..my 2yearold non-smartphone cell takes waaaay better pictures. but, we didn't have a smartphone, we had almost a year left on our contract and we got one of our ipod touches for totally free (redeemed Mariott points) so it wasn't a big deal for us. also now that i know what it's like i am considering getting an iphone eventually. imo an itouch is good thing to get to see if you would like an iphone. not everyone likes the iphone.. i have one friend who hated it and switched to an android phone and is much happier.

randomkid
07-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks all. I think I'm leaning toward the Touch simply because I want it to be portable. Hearing that you leave the iPad at home is very helpful. I want something I can take with me and that I can use for music. I have no plans for an iPhone at this time. We have a year left on our contract, then we will decide what we want to do with our phones. I'm disappointed to hear it takes lousy pictures, but that isn't the determining factor for me. I have WiFi at home and at work although knowing you can only view the mobile version of a website kind of stinks. Besides, it's free other than the points it will cost me. I just can't see carrying an iPad around with me, but the Touch will fit in my purse. I will get more points paid out in 6 months, so who knows, I might just have enough to get an iPad later on if I decide to do that. I get a lot of points paid out over a two year period for 2 people that I referred and there isn't a lot that I want or need in the catalog, although there is a laptop I have my eyes on!

eagle
07-11-2011, 02:31 AM
The Touch is a sad crippled iPhone wannabe.

hahaha, this is so funny!

we have a touch and i must agree, it is a sad crippled iphone wannabe.

but we do not want to pay the monthly fees for the iphone so we got the touch. even though its a crippled iphone, its still a great little item.

ahrimie
07-11-2011, 03:52 AM
I would get the iPad.

JElaineB
07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I have an iPod touch and I love it. I have a regular cell phone and no desire to pay montly charges on a smart phone right now. It works great and I get can free wi-fi in lots of places. I read half a book on it last night on the Kindle app. I would love an iPad for home, but I am glad I have the iPod since I can only afford one right now. Obviously, the iPod touch is extremely portable, and I carry it everywhere. I did want to point out you can still view regular versions of websites on Safari but they are rather small and you have to scroll and zoom a lot. Mobile versions of websites are usually quite useful.