PDA

View Full Version : What "reward" should I give to the kids who found our pup?

MommyofAmaya
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
DS opened the kitchen door yesterday and let out the dog. We didn't notice that the door had been open probably for nearly an hour. After combing the streets for a couple of hours a family called and had our pup (pretty far away). When we arrived, a little girl, probably 5, asked if she would get a reward. The mom quickly shushed her and I told them I would bring them something tomorrow. There are seven children! I had some extra favors (DYO racecars) for DS's upcoming party in my car, so in my excitement I ran out to pass those out to the kids, even though they weren't age appropriate in most cases (the kids are probably 5-12). Anyway, I need to run out and get a reward for these kids, but have no idea what to get. Any ideas? I wanted to get school supplies since they are likely a low income family, but DH nixed that idea b/c it wouldn't be fun for the kids. Now I'm thinking about a McD's gift card or a giant Costco cake.

geochick
07-10-2011, 01:31 PM
I like the giant Costco cake idea...and a $2 bill for each kid??? Have Costco write THANKS really big on the cake. I'm glad they found your pup. You're really lucky.

BillK
07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority but to me - in a kids mind - a reward is cold hard cash. :)

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I like the cake idea and maybe some $5 GCs to McD's

Melanie
07-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd give the kid a $20. Or is it not clear if it was just one of the children? I wouldn't do a Costco cake, unless you know their dietary needs. And even then, I'd bake cookies instead.
ETA: If you know they would eat at McDonald's, a $5 gc for each child is nice, too.

crl
07-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority but to me - in a kids mind - a reward is cold hard cash. :)

I agree. I'd do cash.

Catherine

MommyofAmaya
07-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd give the kid a $20. Or is it not clear if it was just one of the children? I wouldn't do a Costco cake, unless you know their dietary needs. And even then, I'd bake cookies instead.
ETA: If you know they would eat at McDonald's, a $5 gc for each child is nice, too.

The mom is the one who found the dog and called. I just prefer to do something for the 7 children. I've never met any kids in my neighborhood with dietary restrictions. They tend to live on lard tortillas, chile flavored cheetos, and fast food.

MommyofAmaya
07-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm definitely not doing cash. I just have a feeling the kids might not get to spend it for some reason. Thanks for all your suggestions. I might do water guns since I need to go to Target in a bit and it is 100+ degrees daily here.

amldaley
07-10-2011, 02:05 PM
7 kids...but did they ALL find the dog?

How much of a reward would you have posted if you hadn't recovered your pooch so quickly?

A gift card each for Baskin Robbins and some cash?

I agree a reward for finding something is almost always cash. I guess the question is what are you comfortable with?

MommyofAmaya
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
7 kids...but did they ALL find the dog?

How much of a reward would you have posted if you hadn't recovered your pooch so quickly?

A gift card each for Baskin Robbins and some cash?

I agree a reward for finding something is almost always cash. I guess the question is what are you comfortable with?

The mother found the dog, not the kids.

We have lost our dog once before and had multiple calls with people (usually kids) asking ONLY how much the reward was. We also had multiple mean spirited prank calls. I just don't feel like the kids should EXPECT a monetary reward for doing something nice for other people. I do feel a moral obligation to do something nice for them though.

maiaann
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I think water guns is a BRILLIANT idea. They are affordable, fun for all ages, and gender neutral. Timeless fun! A perfect gift for a family with 7 kids. They can spend hours squirting one another.

amldaley
07-10-2011, 02:28 PM
The mother found the dog, not the kids.

We have lost our dog once before and had multiple calls with people (usually kids) asking ONLY how much the reward was. We also had multiple mean spirited prank calls. I just don't feel like the kids should EXPECT a monetary reward for doing something nice for other people. I do feel a moral obligation to do something nice for them though.

I completely agree and am so sorry you have had that issue. People are selfish. And that sucks.

I wouldn't do a cake or the like b/c I know if someone brought a Costco cake to my door, it would go in the trash. Food allergies and it goes against what we maintain as a daily diet.

Cash reward to the MOTHER. It could be anywhere from $25 upward based on YOUR budget. If she decides to share it with the kids, that is her choice. Write a nice note that thanks them for their time and care in finding your dog and that you hope this reward money will be used for something they can all enjoy.

Melanie
07-10-2011, 02:30 PM
ITA, cash to the mom, then.

I'd be horrified at squirt guns, but you know your neighborhood better than I do.

SkyrMommy
07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I'd get a $1 beach pail and fill it with squirt guns, freeze pops, water balloons and maybe a gift card to a local ice cream spot. Enough for all to share and enjoy.

I'm glad your pup is home :)

lucybabymamma
07-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I would give a handmade card from your DC as well as a pic of your pup or family saying thanks too(for being good community members etc) so the kids can remember their good deed and how much it meant to your whole family....Then I would give a gift card to a restaurant or play place the whole family could enjoy! Skip the cash, and cheapy toys and focus on the good deed and celebrating the family!

Tondi G
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
How about bringing over a box of popsicles or a box of otter pops so the family can enjoy a cold treat on a hot day?!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Otter-Pops-Original-Ice-Bars-150-oz/10448126

niccig
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Mmm, am I the only one that is surprised the little girl asked for a reward?

I've found dogs and called neighbours, and our neighbours have grabbed our dog and put her in their yard until we got home. I never expected a reward, and neither did they - I didn't know the people whose dog we chased day and called the phone number. DS was with me, but still, it's the right thing to teach him to do to help w/o expectation of cash in return.

I can see giving them something as a thank you, but I wouldn't do cash. I think a gift card to baskin robbins could be a nice treat.

Melanie
07-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Mmm, am I the only one that is surprised the little girl asked for a reward?

Not at all. My 5 year old regularly embarrasses me like that. :p I would imagine having older siblings someone mentioned reward and she just parroted it.

Green_Tea
07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Not at all. My 5 year old regularly embarrasses me like that. :p I would imagine having older siblings someone mentioned reward and she just parroted it.

:yeahthat:

I would give a gift card to a local family friendly restaurant or ice cream place.

bubbaray
07-10-2011, 07:17 PM

:yeahthat: I can see either of my girls parroting DH

Seitvonzu
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
niccig-- i was sorta appalled at first about the little girl asking for money, but OP *did* mention that the mother hushed her up pretty fast-- so....i think they were trying to do the "right thing" in spite of a reward (since the mother found the dog?)?

if i found someone's animal i wouldn't expect anything...but you know your neighborhood-- i'd just do what you feel comfortable with.

niccig
07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
niccig-- i was sorta appalled at first about the little girl asking for money, but OP *did* mention that the mother hushed her up pretty fast-- so....i think they were trying to do the "right thing" in spite of a reward (since the mother found the dog?)?

I get that the mother isn't expecting anything. I'm just surprised that others would think to give cash now that a reward has been mentioned. I would give something like the gift card to an ice cream place. I suppose giving cash makes it seem mercenary to me rather than them doing a good deed and you thanking them by doing a good deed in return.

MommyofAmaya
07-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I get that the mother isn't expecting anything. I'm just surprised that others would think to give cash now that a reward has been mentioned. I would give something like the gift card to an ice cream place. I suppose giving cash makes it seem mercenary to me rather than them doing a good deed and you thanking them by doing a good deed in return.

Finally somebody gets me! I was starting to get discouraged.

I ended up getting a "nice" slip and slide and a box of ice pops.

mommylamb
07-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I think that sounds nice. I think cash would be a bit yucky honestly.

niccig
07-10-2011, 08:32 PM

I think that's perfect. They can use it all summer and stay cool.

Tondi G
07-11-2011, 12:35 AM

I'm sure the kids will love that and the mom will appreciate it too!