PDA

View Full Version : Summer of germs: now it's croup!

citymama
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Dd1's new daycare is driving me nuts. It's like the gift that keeps giving - 3 summer viruses in the last month! Of course, DD1 brings them home but the baby is always worse hit.

Last night I heard DD2 crying in her crib followed by what sounded like an Airedale terrier barking at her. Followed by a scary raspy wheeze. Oh croup. She slept upright on my lap all night (guess who didn't sleep most of the night?) and while she slept, her breathing was fine but I couldn't lay her down without her waking up with that awful cough and wheezing. I was pretty terrified.

DH ran a hot shower and we held her in our arms in the bathroom while she slept. We ran a cool mist humidifier all night. She doesn't want to eat but is nursing well. For anyone who has btdt with croup: what should we expect today and tonight? Any suggestions for relief for baby? I really dont want to have to take her to the ER/urgent care on a Sunday unless it's necessary and it doesn't seem so right now. How long did your dc's croup last? I've seen online estimates of 24 hours to 8 days!

Any advice and P&PT welcome. Thanks for listening.

crl
07-10-2011, 02:57 PM
No advice, but I hope she is better soon!

Catherine

citymama
07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks C. I'm sitting here pinned to one place while she naps sitting up in my lap. I'm relived that she's napping but I sure could use a snack!

Aishe
07-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Ugh, croup is so nervewracking. IIRC our ped said the second night of croup is usually worse than the first. So don't panic if she seems worse tonight (but trust your mama spidey sense, of course).

brittone2
07-10-2011, 07:19 PM
DS1 got croup every year from age 1-6 or so.

For us the 2nd night was often worse. We were able to stay out of the ER thankfully (used the shower, cool night air, opening windows and sleeping w/ baby elevated on our chest. Sometimes we had to take the baby outside in the night air to get their breathing under control). Our family doc at one point would give us an RX for oral steroids to keep on hand because he knew we had BTDT and knew what croup was.

Watch for indrawing in their chest and stridor. Those are two signs that you need to get to the ER. DS1 had a touch when he was 1, but we got it under control while on the phone w/ our doc and managed to stay out of the ER. But it was close.

eta: in our experience, night one and two were usually bad, and by night 3 it was gone or improved (more of just a plain old cold than croup symptoms). Sometimes the cold lingered, but the croup was always gone after 2-3 days.

MommyAllison
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
We've BTDT with croup, but DD always skipped the barking cough and went straight to the stridor (scary breathing). Yes, it's usually worse the 2nd night, but as long as she's breathing ok, you can stay home. DD usually was bad for 3 nights, then had significant improvement and was barely ill for the next night or two. Dr Sears' website has the best info for triaging it at home I think - http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/croup :hug: Hope she feels better soon!