PDA

View Full Version : Name Advice

Claki
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
So DS1's nickname that he goes by ends in "-ie". The name we are probably going with for DS2 has a diminuitive form that could either end in "-ie" or "-y". The full versions of both names do not match or rhyme. And I'm pretty sure we will only use DS2's nickname when he is little and most likely not as an adult or older child.

If DS's name were not a factor, I would probably would choose the "-y" ending. But I'm thinking it might be weird to have one "-ie" and the other "-y". Is anyone following me?

Input?

amldaley
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I am sorry but I am so lost. Can you give sample names even if different from your LO's, please?

ast96
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about making one an -ie nickname and one a -y nickname. In fact, I would prefer the difference in my own family just so it wasn't TOO matchy-matchy or cutesy.

lhafer
07-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't think it matters in the slightest.

sariana
07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I personally would go with the more common spelling. I hated that I never could find anything with my name spelled correctly (and that was my full name, not a nickname).

Some kids won't care. I did.

I faced the same thing with DD. I prefer the look of her nickname with a Y, but IE is the more common spelling. Of course, she insists on using her full name (she's 3 1/2--I think she'll change her mind once she has to write it over and over again!).

I don't thing your DD1's name is relevant unless you WANT to match, and it sounds as though you don't really. I would not think it was strange to see two boys with different endings on their names. That's how names are.

Bobby and Richie (NOT Richy) for example

lalasmama
07-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't think it really matters if one is a "y" and one is "ie". However, I will point out that I kind of :heartbeat: the odd spelling of DD's name. While it annoys me (and her!) that there's nothing with her name spelled correctly, her cousin's name is spelled similar, though completely different names-- both have "ee" instead of the typical "ey" in my niece's case, or "ie" in DD's case. I will point out that we tend to have "family trend" names--my middle name is the feminine version of my brother's middle name, and DD's first name is a nickname for my brother's and my middle name--so the idea that my DD and DN have similar looking names was cool.

Claki
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! Amldaly, PP's example of Bobby and Richie helps explain the situation.

I don't think either ending of the nickname for DS2 is more common than the other. Both are about equally used, but they are old-fashioned along with the full version of the name itself.

I'm starting to feel like the two nicknames just don't go together. But I think the full names go together, and one nickname goes well with the other full name. I keep imagining how they will look together on a family Christmas card.

TwinFoxes
07-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't think it matters in the slightest.

I tend to agree. I have never thought anyone's name didn't "go" with their siblings based on something like "ie" vs "y".

And I'm pretty sure we will only use DS2's nickname when he is little and most likely not as an adult or older child.

So, how exactly will you put the genie back in the bottle? I knew a girl in HS whose nickname was an animal. Her dad started calling her that as a family joke. She could not shake it, for a long time I didn't know her real name! Just something to think about, outsiders may not be so willing to change up what they call tour DS.

Claki
07-10-2011, 10:58 PM
I tend to agree. I have never thought anyone's name didn't "go" with their siblings based on something like "ie" vs "y".

So, how exactly will you put the genie back in the bottle? I knew a girl in HS whose nickname was an animal. Her dad started calling her that as a family joke. She could not shake it, for a long time I didn't know her real name! Just something to think about, outsiders may not be so willing to change up what they call tour DS.

Well, it's not that I want the nickname to go away, I just think it's a little more babyish than DS1's nickname, and he might outgrow it when he hits school age. There actually is a third name. I might as well just say the name is Theodore (which I mentioned in a thread a while back) and I'm debating between Teddy and Teddie. And I think he could easily transition into a Ted later on, but I'd rather call a baby/toddler Teddie.

Roleysmom
07-10-2011, 11:09 PM

This made me laugh! Apparently when I was under 2 my dad's nickname for me was Monk, which was short for monkey. My mother made him stop calling me that when the neighbors started calling me Monk. She said if he didn't stop it right away it would stick. So he started to call me Dink. Excellent. It was the only thing he ever called me. But for whatever reason no one outside of the family ever called me that.

indigo99
07-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Well, it's not that I want the nickname to go away, I just think it's a little more babyish than DS1's nickname, and he might outgrow it when he hits school age. There actually is a third name. I might as well just say the name is Theodore (which I mentioned in a thread a while back) and I'm debating between Teddy and Teddie. And I think he could easily transition into a Ted later on, but I'd rather call a baby/toddler Teddie.

Personally, I would go with Teddy. Teddie seems less common and more feminine to me.

deborah_r
07-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Personally, I would go with Teddy. Teddie seems less common and more feminine to me.

Agree. I don't think I've ever seen Teddie used before.

KpbS
07-11-2011, 01:04 AM
DN was Teddy for years. He transitioned to just Ted around 9-10 yo. I would definitely go w/ Teddy over Teddie. Teddie makes me think of Tedy Bruschi of the NE Patriots. I much prefer traditionally spelled names and nicknames.

kijip
07-11-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm debating between Teddy and Teddie. And I think he could easily transition into a Ted later on, but I'd rather call a baby/toddler Teddie.

Teddy is way better IMO. This was on my short list of boy names so I thought about it a lot. I think that Teddy will easily shorten to Ted later on and he can used Theodore on lots of stuff too.

I have a nickname (As you can see from my signature) and I also use a full formal name as well. It is not hard to switch between the two as I prefer.

MoJo
07-11-2011, 06:18 AM
I happen to have girls with nicknames ending in -y and -ie and I don't think that's an issue at all.

That being said, I far prefer Teddy to Teddie for a boy's nickname as others have said.

TwinFoxes
07-11-2011, 06:25 AM

The only Teddie I've ever known was a girl. I've never seen it again. I like Teddy.

klwa
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
I might as well just say the name is Theodore (which I mentioned in a thread a while back) and I'm debating between Teddy and Teddie. And I think he could easily transition into a Ted later on, but I'd rather call a baby/toddler Teddie.

I'm with the others. Teddie seems a little too feminine. Go with Teddy. (Although, I'd say, go with Ted, to be called Teddy by family only from the start.)