PDA

View Full Version : What food/supplies for camping?

almostamom
07-10-2011, 09:29 PM
We're going camping. We'll have an RV and we'll be in a campground, but we won't have electrical hook ups. I am so out of my element here. I've been told we'll have a generator, but I'm guessing that it won't be running 24 hours/day. We'll be gone 3 days. How long does ice last in an ice chest? Any ideas, tricks, recommendations from those of you who are experienced campers is appreciated. I want this to be fun for our family and a stressed out mama will pretty much ensure that this won't be fun for any of us.

Thanks,

Linda

elephantmeg
07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
We're going camping. We'll have an RV and we'll be in a campground, but we won't have electrical hook ups. I am so out of my element here. I've been told we'll have a generator, but I'm guessing that it won't be running 24 hours/day. We'll be gone 3 days. How long does ice last in an ice chest? Any ideas, tricks, recommendations from those of you who are experienced campers is appreciated. I want this to be fun for our family and a stressed out mama will pretty much ensure that this won't be fun for any of us.

Thanks,

Linda

If you have an RV it most likely has a gas-electric refrigerator so you should be good there running on gas. If not put all your food in zip lock baggies before putting them into coolers. Otherwise all your food will be floating together in a mass of melted ice. Depending on the cooler and the temp ice will last 2 days or so.

-pack more clothes than you thing you will need-kids get super duper dirty in campgrounds
-pack lots of paper towels
-pack outside toys to play with-bikes, dump trucks, sidewalk chalk, sand toys if there is dirt/beach, pool stuff if there is a pool/lake
-pack inside stuff in case it rains/for down time. Matchbox cars, playdough, car DVD player and DVD's, stickers. I always bring paint and paper and do a craft time with rocks etc as stamps.
-bring lots of snacks and drinks. I always pack juice boxes for camping-no spill, no cups to wash, disposable. They are a huge treat for the kids-we don't use them at home
-bring ALL the ingredients for something and think though ALL the condiments, butter/jelly/oil etc that you will and the seasonings
-do as much food prep at home as you can. Make and bring muffins, cut up fruit etc.
-take a can opener if you have canned stuff :) take a lighter for a grill/campfire if you are planning on that. Bring marshmallows and toasting forks-the long handled ones are the best for them, hotdogs and little smokies. (if you've never had a little smokie they're in the hotdog section and cooked over a fire are the best breakfast EVER).
-if you can condition kids to taking showers before hand so they will take showers there it would be great. We're just getting our kids to that point, luckily we have a bathtub now but still.
-Pack a good first aid kit-including kid bandaids, benadryl, antihistamines. DD hasn't used an inhaler in over a year but I still bring it and a thermometer, benadryl and motrin. You never know... Make sure you have stuff for you too. And I pack benadryl cream for bug bites.
-5 or 10 gal container of water
-sunscreen and bug spray!

here's our master list-but some things we keep in the camper so they aren't on it. Keep in mind our kids are both potty trained and just in pull ups at night

Sheets and blankets
Towels
Chairs
Plastic bags
Garbage bags
Laundry basket
Insect repellent
Sunscreen
Claritin
Windex
Cleaner
Leftover containers
Lamps/Flashlights/batteries
Toolbox
Weather radio

Kids
DVD player/DVDs
Books
Toys, car toys
Jackets
Clothes
Lots of socks
Swimsuits
PJ's
Hats
Outside toys-dump trucks, bikes, helmets
pullups
Wipes/wipe Refill
Blankie/pillows/animals
Nightlight
Bathwash
Toothbrushes/toothpaste/vitamins
Benadryl/Claritin
Motrin
Sunscreen
Bed rail-Robert
Straw cups
Shoes/sandals
Alarm clock

Check supplies of:
Paper towels
Plates/cups/silver ware
bowls
Napkins
Charcoal/lighter fluid

Us

Clothes-underwear, sleep stuff
Jackets
Swim suits
Shower stuff: shampoo/soap
Bathroom stuff-Margaret (contacts/glasses!)
Bathroom stuff-Wesley
Pillows
Reading material/Bible\
Shoes/sandals

Digital

Cell phone chargers
Laptop
Camera/Tripod?
Propane grill/stove/propane
DC adaptors/extension cords/inverter
Video camera
Kindle and charger

Daisy

Food
Bowls
Bed
Chain
Leash
Benadryl
Vet record

Water cooler

almostamom
07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Margaret,

You are awesome!! :applause::applause::applause:Truly, I can't thank you enough. My mind has just be spinning trying to think of what to bring and you just made it so easy for me!!

Linda