PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE IN POST 29------When do you receive your DC school supply list?

HIU8
07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Do ppl get it in July or in August? School supply sales seem to just be getting off the ground--stores have tons but I have yet to see the great deals come out. Do they normally coincide with when a school district sends out their lists?

gordo
07-10-2011, 10:16 PM
We got ours on the last day of school in June.

Kindra178
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
DS1's school had it posted on its website on July 1. School starts August 24, so that makes sense.

HIU8
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
DS is starting a private school, but it starts the same day as our local publics do. Public has not gotten their list either yet. I have DS's uniform, backpack and lunchbox already done, but I don't want to be hit with a big school supplies list and little time to get all of it (which is what it feels like will happen).

o_mom
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
We get ours a month or two before school ends because that is when you can order the kits through the school. I would guess you are going to start seeing better sales in the next week or two. Meijer (midwest superstore chain) doesn't even have their school supplies out yet as they are still discounting patio furniture and there were still large holes of unstocked merchandise in the Walmart aisles today. I think they are just getting them out now with the BTS pricing, but the deeper discounts will start later. Most ads this week didn't lead with school supplies, so that tells me they aren't quite ready yet.

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Not till the start of the school year or perhaps in the mailing that goes out a week before school starts.

Beth

KpbS
07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Ours is online at the end of June.

HIU8
07-10-2011, 10:22 PM
My mother, in FL, has already seen the good staples sales (but they start school much earlier in August I think).

I'm just a planner and honestly, I have little time between camp dropoff and pickup, studying for a certification, working pt and 3 evenings a week of aftercamp activities. I really want to get the list and have time to get the supplies (ok, so maybe I'm a bit type A and anal, I admit....)

o_mom
07-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Staples and Office Max just started the 1 cent stuff this week, but honestly that is really not a great deal - $5 minimum purchase (not including the penny stuff) and their prices are usually higher than Walmart, etc. Unless you have something you need from there anyway, you can probably do better overall elsewhere.

Office Max only had a small ad wrap on school supplies this week. Walgreens, CVS and Target had nothing front page. There were a few deals to be had here and there, but I think you have some time.

rlu
07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
For K we got it the first day of school. For 1st and 2nd we got it the last day of the previous school year.

Generally the expensive thing is the ream of paper (one white, one pastel).

crl
07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
We don't get one, although the teachers do seem to want the kids to have backpacks and one folder. Instead after school starts the teachers send out a wish list that usually includes things like hand sanitizer, special art supplies, Kleenex, etc.

I do make sure ds has crayons, pencils, glue sticks, and colored pencils to do homework.

Catherine

catpagmo
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I think I got DD's list (for K) about a month before preschool was over. So that would have been sometime in May.

KrisM
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
We get ours a month or two before school ends because that is when you can order the kits through the school. I would guess you are going to start seeing better sales in the next week or two. Meijer (midwest superstore chain) doesn't even have their school supplies out yet as they are still discounting patio furniture and there were still large holes of unstocked merchandise in the Walmart aisles today. I think they are just getting them out now with the BTS pricing, but the deeper discounts will start later. Most ads this week didn't lead with school supplies, so that tells me they aren't quite ready yet.

Our Meijer just put it out mid-week last week. No deals on it yet, but bins full of supplies.

I know that by the end of July, sales are ramped up. Staples has some deals this week already.

lalasmama
07-11-2011, 01:21 AM
This question got me over to our school website, where... it's already out, and we're a full 2 months before the start of school! We will start slowly pulling the items together.

On a BP-worthy subject--I got a gallon size bag back of half used school supplies at the end of the year. They were the community items split amongst the 32 kids. DD is attached to these items, since Teacher "gave" them to her. If 32 kids recieved gallon-szie ziplock bags worth of supplies back, I feel like maybe they are asking for too much in the beginning of the year....

ett
07-11-2011, 01:32 AM
We got ours with our class list at the end of June.

94bruin
07-11-2011, 02:55 AM
We don't get one, although the teachers do seem to want the kids to have backpacks and one folder. Instead after school starts the teachers send out a wish list that usually includes things like hand sanitizer, special art supplies, Kleenex, etc.

I do make sure ds has crayons, pencils, glue sticks, and colored pencils to do homework.

Catherine

DD1's school is the same. I guess they want the kids to all have the same supplies. The
PTA does ask for a voluntary donation at the beginning of the school year to help cover the costs.

egoldber
07-11-2011, 06:53 AM
We "officially" received it in her backpack on the last day of school. But it is posted on the school website year round.

mrshalco
07-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Ours comes with the final report card - on the last day of school!

maestramommy
07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
From my recollection I think we get it in August. But I could be wrong. I'm still waiting for Dora's teacher assignment, and it's possible we will get the supply list at the same time.

infomama
07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
We got ours on the last day of school in June.
:yeahthat:

wimama
07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I have to log onto the Schoolpak website to view our School's back to school lists. But, there are on the website already. The school uses Schoolpak, but the majority of parents go out and buy their kid's supplies themselves anyway.

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
We just received on Friday, however we also had the option to order through a company and we were given that notice the middle of June, however I didn't order because I am not sure how much of a good deal it really is.

Melanie
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't think we've ever gotten one.
What types of things do the schools want you to buy?

Gena
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
DS brought home his school supply list for next year on his last day of school. It was attached to his final report card. It is also posted on the school website.

ladysoapmaker
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
We recieved ours for the Primary & Intermediate schools with report cards on the last day of school. And it was posted on the school website sometime in June. The Middle school just posted theirs on the website last week. We still haven't recieved anything for the high school and there is nothing posted on the website... Luckily we know what DS#1 will be taking and have a general idea what he needs. I know we got a supply list last year but I think it was during his orientation for 9th grade. I'm hoping we will recieve something soon.

I love scouting BTS supply sales and getting the best deal. With DH & I in college also I stock up on spiral bound notebooks & pens and pencil lead. Though it's been harder the pst 2 years because of our vacation (first 2 weeks of August). I'm thinking of asking my Mom to go shopping for me (she's the absolute best) since we've been saving money for school supplies since last year.

Jen

giavila
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
On the last day of school. They include it in the same envelope as their last report card.

new_mommy25
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
DS starts school Aug. 10 and I got his list toward the end of June. School ended the last week of May. DD starts school Aug. 2 and I just got her list last week. She is starting K but the school she will attend also let out the last week of May.

Twin Mom
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Not sure if it was the last day but definitely the last week of school. The school offers the supply kits at the end of the year but with all the deals out there, I was sure I could do better myself.

HIU8
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I did some more digging. Turns out K-4 at DS's school have ALL school supplies given to them by the school. I have to purchase ONLY if they run out and have the parents purchase very specific items. Good thing I looked deeper.

elephantmeg
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
our lists were out today at walmart! Lucky you that they are provided. I bought 2 sets of markers, 2 of crayons, 6 glue sticks, 2 bottles of glue, 2 sizes of baggies and forks, lol! Still need to pick out 2 notebooks and a towel for rest time but I figured DS would like to pick them out himself. I also ordered his backpack today! I can't believe he'll be in K soon!

HIU8
07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I already ordered DS's new backpack and lunchbox (thank goodness they don't need to be a specific kind or I would be in trouble b/c I ordered LE)

egoldber
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I would be in trouble b/c I ordered LE

You can return LE stuff to Sears. I think any Sears? But certainly the ones with an LE desk inside.

elliput
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
We received the school supply list with the end of year reports on the last day of school.

HIU8
07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
The school said any backpack that fits properly so we are ok. DS wanted a green one. We got the big haul and got a green lunchbox from costco (really nice one). I've ordered and returned to LE at Sears near me so many times I think they cringe when they see me now.

DebbieJ
07-11-2011, 11:52 PM
our lists have been on the school website for several weeks already. Went to Staples and Walmart tonight and have almost everything. One more trip to Meijer and I'll be done.

ETA: DS is still using his LE backpack and lunch pack from kindergarten.

dhano923
07-12-2011, 01:26 AM
I did some more digging. Turns out K-4 at DS's school have ALL school supplies given to them by the school. I have to purchase ONLY if they run out and have the parents purchase very specific items. Good thing I looked deeper.

This is how it works at our elementary school too. The school provides everything. The teacher will request new crayons or colored pencils or kleenex a couple times a year, but everything else is provided.

swissair81
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
We didn't get our lists until August last year. I don't know when the rest of the parent body got them, but I called the school and told them that I was due soon and if I can't get the list before then she wouldn't have any supplies. They gave it to me. I think I called them on the 16th & my dd was born on the 21st.