PDA

View Full Version : Universal stroller for a Chicco Keyfit 30?

sareva
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I have an old Kolcraft Universal from 2004. It worked great with the Graco infant carseat we had then. Now we have an impossible-to-fit-carseat 2001 Subaru Forester, and I was told that my best bets in an infant carseat are the Chicco Keyfit 30 and possibly the Graco Snugride 30.

The main form of stability with the Universal was the strap, not the locking-in, but since neither of these carseats existed in 2004, I suspect I might be out of luck with the strap too.

Is there any universal stroller that would work with the KF30 and/or the Snugride 30? I have to admit I'm more concerned about the KF30 b/c we're leaning that way...

Thanks!

RunnerDuck
07-11-2011, 07:25 AM
I have a friend with I'd say an '02 or '03 outback and they used an evenflo seat - is the forester that different? Not that I am a fan of evenflo seats but I'm surprised it's that hard to fit the buckets in.

Personally I have a snugride22 - one of the nice ones with the luxury foam and extra head support - and am very happy with it. We had a crappy one with DS1 was a baby as well as a Quattro stroller - I am still using that stroller, it is great for some things. not all. It came with a 20 pound bucket but the 22 fits fine. The 22 is from my girls. I toyed with getting either a chicco or a 35 pound snugride (do they still make 30?) but couldn't really justify it... the chicco seats are popular now but I don't like them as much as my Graco. I may rarely if ever NEED to put the bucket in the stroller but it's nice to have it fit in and I didn't like the Chicco stroller as much as my quattro. The 32 pounds graco would snap into my stoller head and feet but on the 35 I couldn't get the latches at the feet over all the way, even though the head part snapped in, if that makes sense. I'd suspect the 30 pound one would work with your frame based on this. Personally I like the Graco seats but you have to look for the nicer ones. A 22 pound one will definitely work and may be perfect for you.

I'd take the frame to BRU or Target and try out different seats in it - that is what I did with my stroller, to figure out what fits. That's the only way to really know. I know some people have found the chicco to work unofficially with things it's not supposed to, but a big complaint about the chicco is the wierd bottom not fitting in anything.

poohbear
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I used a baby trend snap n go with my KF30 and it worked great! Was a hand-me-down from a friend with a SR22.

Multimama
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree with Runnerduck's suggestion of just taking your stroller to the store and seeing what fits.

But if you want a new stroller may I suggest the First Year's Indigo. It takes the Keyfit 30 and for those times when baby isn't in a car seat (since it's not recommended to keep them in there for too long) it has a nice reversible seat that can be used from birth. Win, win!

poohbear
07-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I thought you were just looking for a frame.
If you are looking for strollers:
Indigo is a great choice and will take either
Bumbleride Indie also will take both
BJCM takes both (but two different adapters)
BOB will take both (old one was the same adapter, 2011s are two different adapters)
Uppababy Vista and upcoming cruz take both (different adapters again)
Britax strollers will also take both IIRC

sareva
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Oh, yes, I was just thinking a frame to start... but I totally appreciate the stroller recs, since I haven't bought one in 7 years. I wouldn't have thought to bring the frame I have with me to the store (duh), so that's helpful.

Subaru Foresters are the worst for carseats, as far as I'm concerned, and I have a whole multi-generational family of Subie drivers. If we'd known, we never would have gotten one "new to us." It's old now, a 2001, but we need to keep it for 2-3 more years. It's our only car.

You can fit a bucket easily... but a bucket plus two harnessed seats or boosters is another issue. A RF convertible plus 2 is even worse. One harness/booster is for my hard-to-fit 7+ year old, very petite for her age; the other is for carpooling/playdates, and those kids generally use backless boosters, so I'm less picky for them. So I've been gathering recommendations, coming to terms that a booster that fits with a bucket might not then work with the eventual convertible. Argh, but cheaper than a new car :)

Since my primary concern is the carseat situation and my due date is quickly approaching, I was hoping to use a cheap frame at the start, b/c I actually am more of a babywearer (or, I was, last time). But I do like being able to take a stroll as the weather cools... I just wanted to wait a bit longer on the major stroller purchase and "make do" with whatever carseat works best in the Subaru plus frame.

Bummer if they're not making the 30... we're shopping this weekend. I got the rec. about 2 months ago from a car seat forum, but perhaps the person got confused or things have changed. But it'll be a Graco or Keyfit, I think, either way.

Hope that makes sense. 3rd trimester + 100+ degree heat = fried brain.

Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

legaleagle
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd also look at the cybex aton car seat - carseatblog has a good review (http://carseatblog.com/10614/cybex-aton-review-easiest-base-to-install/). It has an amazing installs-itself base and it works with the cybex strollers (I have one and love it) and any stroller that has a maxi cosi adapter. Cute and very lightweight too :) Or consider the combi coccoro if you're not wedded to the infant seat idea - super skinny and light and awesome for newborns. It'll last most kids to 2 rf'ing. I love mine - we used it from birth on.

PeppyParents
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, yes, I was just thinking a frame to start... but I totally appreciate the stroller recs, since I haven't bought one in 7 years. I wouldn't have thought to bring the frame I have with me to the store (duh), so that's helpful.

Hi,

Safety 1st introduced a universal frame stroller for infant seats about half a year ago.

It's called the Clic It, and it fits the Keyfit 30.

Product details are at http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Travel/Car-Seats/Infant-Car-Seats/Details/2735-CV140AHI-Clic-It-Universal-Infant-Car-Seat-Carrier

It comes in some fun colors too, should be able to find it for less than $70 new.

HTH!

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
The base on the Snugride 30 (I believe) is the same shape as either the Snugride 22, or the Snugride 35 so it should still fit a universal Snap N Go. We used a Snugride 22 with DD1 as well as an Evenflo, and have used a Graco Safe Seat 1 (now the Snugride 35) and we've had no problems fitting each one of those seats in the almost non existent back seat of our 01 Corolla. I would just go to a store and see which ones fit in your car the most. I think that the Graco's might be your best bet for stroller frames.

Not that I am a fan of evenflo seats but I'm surprised it's that hard to fit the buckets in.

Hey, I know that Evenflo seats got a horrible backlash due to recalls but we had one (a non recall model) for DD1 and had it not expired in 2008 (it was a hand me down from a friend) DH would've used that seat for DD2 also. He seriously loved that seat 10x more than the Graco. He loved the handle. Sorry for the hijack OP. Just sayin.