PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and dieting?

Lupe
07-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi All,

I think I am ready to give a boost to my weight loss, now that DS is 4 1/2 months old. I am concerned about dieting and loosing my milk supply, it is hard as it is working and nursing. Also I am hungry all the time.
I was loosing about 2 pounds a month by nursing alone, but that has stopped, I am 8 pounds away from my pre-preg weight, and I really don't want to buy bigger clothes for the summer. Any tips?
I was thinking that if I eat about 2100 calories a day I will still be able to loose weight. Work out wise, I really don't have time to do more than I do, which is walk to-from work fast ~40 minutes every day, pilates 2 times a week and squats/lounges whenever I fit them. Plus carrying DS a lot while in the house (that counts right)
I guess I need someone to hold me accountable, anyone up for a nursing and loosing thread check in?

alirebco
07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm also nursing and trying to lose the last of the pregnancy weight. I have about 8 lbs left but would like to lose an additional 5-10 on top of that.

Have you checked out My Fitness Pal? It's a website and there's also an app on the iPhone for it to help you track calories and exercise.

I personally don't count calories but I follow the primal way of eating - no grains, no sugar, no dairy, and no legumes. So it's pretty low carb and I'm still losing at 1-2 lbs a week.

I've also been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred which is a great workout that is only 25 minutes long and it really helps! I noticed a big difference in my waist, etc in only a few days.

You can also try Weight Watchers which has a plan specifically for nursing moms. I did it after DS was born 3.5 years ago and had a lot of success on it.

eh613c
07-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm also nursing and trying to lose the last of the pregnancy weight. I have about 8 lbs left but would like to lose an additional 5-10 on top of that.

Have you checked out My Fitness Pal? It's a website and there's also an app on the iPhone for it to help you track calories and exercise.

I personally don't count calories but I follow the primal way of eating - no grains, no sugar, no dairy, and no legumes. So it's pretty low carb and I'm still losing at 1-2 lbs a week.

I've also been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred which is a great workout that is only 25 minutes long and it really helps! I noticed a big difference in my waist, etc in only a few days.

You can also try Weight Watchers which has a plan specifically for nursing moms. I did it after DS was born 3.5 years ago and had a lot of success on it.

Has the low carb diet and exercising decreased youfr milk production? I have a 2 month old so I have a long way to go with nursing but I would like to lose the pregnancy weight. Like you, I have about 8 lbs to lose but would like to lose an additional 10lbs. I do have the 30 day shred and it's good to know that it's working out for you.

alirebco
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Nope, no loss in milk supply from either. While I don't eat grains and typical carb heavy food, I do eat lots of veggies and sweet potatoes which have carbs. And I do occasionally indulge in some dark chocolate or some coconut milk ice cream.

Lupe
07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't think I can do no grains no dairy,etc
My milk supply is very on the verge since returning to work
So I am really hesitant to cut a lot of calories
How many times a week do you do the Jillian Michael's DVD?
Going to work full time plus baby leaves almost no time for working out
which is sad because I have always been very active and I know it makes me feel so much better

Maybe we can start a thread to check on each other?
I also want to loose 8 more pounds to pre-preg, maybe 3 more after that
This week my inlaws are here and it has been pretty hectic
I vow to start next week for good

elizabethkott
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I found that when I started Atkins, my supply actually went *up*.
I think because while I was cutting out carbs, I was actually adding in "good" fat, which helped with the supply issue.
FWIW, I'm doing about 1500 calories and my supply is still fine. But if you're already having issues with the adjustment of pumping at work, I would hesitate to cut calories significantly.
Are you drinking enough water? I personally do a minimum of 4 32oz bottles of water a day. MORE if I'm out in the sun, at the pool, or took yoga that day.
Lupe, don't wait until "next week" - start upping your water intake now. See if that helps with the supply issue at all. :)

twowhat?
07-12-2011, 10:13 PM
No BTDT but I have a friend who is nursing a 3-month-old and doing a Weight Watchers program. They have a program for nursing moms. She's been doing great on it.