PDA

View Full Version : Flying with the BJCM

TwoBees
07-11-2011, 10:23 AM
We're going to be flying with our BJCM and plan to gate-check it. I've searched and searched the airline's website (USAir) but can't find the answer to this question:

Do I need to bring a gate-check bag or does the airline provide one?
And also, if I need to bring one (and thus buy one), what do you recommend?

weech
07-11-2011, 10:25 AM
As far as I know, airlines won't provide them. They'll just put a gate check ticket on it and take it out to the plane.

I think the JL Childress gate check bag for doubles works with the BJCM, but I know a lot of people also skip the bag entirely.

crl
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
We have never had an airline provide a bag, they have just tagged our strollers. I have never used a bag, but I have only flown with umbrellas and I gather that the BJCM fold leaves more fabric exposed so you may feel one is more important.

Catherine

poohbear
07-11-2011, 11:56 AM
The airline will not give you a bag.
I have flown using the BJCM bag and have never had a problem. I prefer to have my strollers covered when they're in the underbelly of the plane. Just looking at how dirty the bags get makes me a little ill... (and I'm not a germophobe, I just don't like the idea of my kid's body touching all that ick.

I'm sure the red gate check bag for standard strollers would work as well. I just went with the BJCM bag...

blondflava
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I m planning to fly with BJCM in September and will get the red stroller bag (they have those in BRU) because the seat is exposed when folded and I d like to keep it clean. Let us know how it goes!

lec
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I just got back from a trip a couple weeks ago where we took our BJCM.
Our flights had 1 layover each way and we asked for the stroller during the layover.

We bought the JL Childress gate check bag (the one that fits doubles). I bought it to protect the seat since it is exposed when folded. I had to order from Amazon because our local BBB and BRU didn't carry them - I think it was about $17.

Once we reached our final destination the bag had a tear in it. I wasn't really surprised - especially since I had read the Amazon reviews - but it did its job of keep the stroller free of dirt and I was happy to have the tear in the bag instead of the stroller! A little duct tape over the tear and the stroller made it back home with no other tears to the bag and the stroller looks just as good as before we left. We don't fly too often so I was fine with the $17 bag and the tear but if I was planning on doing a lot of traveling I might look into another type of bag - maybe the one by BJ.

A couple other things from my experience... putting the stroller in the bag might require 2 people. DH had a little issue because the front wheel would get caught on the bag, but I'm sure he could have manged if I wasn't there to help. Also when we would get the tag to check the stoller they wanted to put the tag on the bag instead of the stroller. So if we weren't done with the stroller we just carried the bag up to the counter. HTH!

Dream
07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I'll be flying with a BJCM this Wednesday and ordered their bag. I also ordered th JL bag fot bugaboo frog.

ECUPirateMom
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
When we flew a few weeks ago (Southwest) they did offer us a large clear plastic bag (when we checked our luggage) to cover our stroller and/or car seat for gate checking. We did end up having to gate check our car seat (no extra seats on the plane) so we put it in the clear plastic bag which covered it completely and, surprise, it didn't ripped. We did use a gate check bag for our Bumbleride Flite but my husband and I both agreed that we would just use the plastic bags they provide in the future instead of bringing our own. Anyway, hope this helps!
Aimee

georgiegirl
07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Not all airlines have bags for checked carseats. We always just bring huge back trash bags and put the car seats in there. I've never bagged a stroller for gate checking. I usually fly with umbrellas, but once I flew with the BJCMD and it was fine.

TwoBees
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm wondering if it will fit in one of the Ziploc XXL storage bags, so I'm going to try that before buying the red gate check bag.

blondflava
07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Report back! :) those plastic Ziplocs sound like a good idea, I also read a lot of complaints about the Gate Check bags ripping, that doesn't sound any sturdier than a plastic bag...

Fuzzy113
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
What about using contractor bags? Would that work? I will be flying in October and will need a bag as well.

Dezracer
07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
What about using contractor bags? Would that work? I will be flying in October and will need a bag as well.

We just came back last night from Chicago flying with our BJCM.

Before leaving for our flight...I tried finding clear contractor trash bags. No luck at Home Depot or Lowes. I did find black bags, but you had to buy a whole box for $17 so we just ended up buying JL Childress double stroller bag. It worked great.

poohbear
07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Probably better off spending $17 on the red bag which folds up super small and can be used again and again or $40 for the BJCM bag which you can eventually sell for $20 (I bought mine for $20 on CL, and will eventually sell it for $15-20 on CL) then to get big plastic bags that you can only use once and will be difficult to close up.
Just my 2 cents...

Dream
07-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Will there be a problem check-in 2 strollers in bags? I won't be using them in the airport, so no point in gate check in, I'll rather check-in at the counters but don't want to pay a fee. We're flying Delta.

TwoBees
08-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Report back! :) those plastic Ziplocs sound like a good idea, I also read a lot of complaints about the Gate Check bags ripping, that doesn't sound any sturdier than a plastic bag...

Probably better off spending $17 on the red bag which folds up super small and can be used again and again or $40 for the BJCM bag which you can eventually sell for $20 (I bought mine for $20 on CL, and will eventually sell it for $15-20 on CL) then to get big plastic bags that you can only use once and will be difficult to close up.
Just my 2 cents...

Reporting back now that we have returned from vacation.

The Ziploc storage bags in size XXL fit the folded BJCM if the wheels are removed (the wheels can then be placed at the top of the bag before closing the bag, the stroller is just slightly too wide with the wheels). The stroller, once bagged, is a bit awkward to carry but honestly I didn't have to carry it far (just down the jetway). You have to be careful when bagging the stroller to make sure that the bag does not get caught on the part of the rear axle that pokes out from the side of the stroller (where the wheel is normally attached). I didn't have any problems during my trial run, but when I was rushing to place the stroller in the bag just before boarding, I poked a hole in the side of the bag. Nothing major, and I didn't notice any additional tears in the bag when I received it at the end of our flight. However, I would recommend throwing an extra bag in your luggage for the return trip, just in case. I didn't get to use the bag again on the return flight because one of the hotel housekeepers accidentally threw the bag away when cleaning the hotel room.

These (http://www.drugstore.com/ziploc-bigbag-heavy-duty-2-feet-x-2-7-feet-xxl/qxp150830?fromsrch=ziploc+storage) are the bags I used. I bought them at my local grocery store and had a $1 coupon. So, the cost of one bag was approximately $2 and I would definitely use these again over spending $10-$20 on the red gate check bag, since we do not fly that often. Plus, I'm using the remaining 2 bags in the package for storage in our basement for other things. :) Hope that helps other travelers!

blondflava
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks!! Glad it worked out for you.
I'm still debating if I should fly with the BJCM or my umbrella SC Fizz *sigh*. The BJCM seems like a haddle to deal with alone at the airport, stuffing into bags and such, removing wheels.. If I decide to take the Fizz, I won't even bother with a bag, just wrap it couple times with a bungee cord, I think... Hmmm.

TwoBees
08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks!! Glad it worked out for you.
I'm still debating if I should fly with the BJCM or my umbrella SC Fizz *sigh*. The BJCM seems like a haddle to deal with alone at the airport, stuffing into bags and such, removing wheels.. If I decide to take the Fizz, I won't even bother with a bag, just wrap it couple times with a bungee cord, I think... Hmmm.

On the way home, I didn't have the bag, and the BJCM fared just fine, although a bit dusty. I prefer the bag because I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I loved having the BJCM in the airport. I wore DD on my back, and we piled DD's RA55 and a few carry-on tote bags onto the stroller. Made things much easier!

rileysmom
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
We flew with our BJCM in 2009 on Alaskan Air and when we got our tickets they had plastic bags (thin like a grocery bag) that we could get at the ticket counter and our stroller did fit inside. I dont know if I would count on them offering it though. you might call the airline to double check. I would definitely use a bag though so you can keep your stroller clean.