PDA

View Full Version : selling the AL

3sweetgirls
07-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Aghhhh...This is the 2nd time I put my Albert Thurston Maclaren up for sale and start changing my mind about it. :52: I haven't used it hardly at all mainly because I want it to stay in good shape for selling and because I prefer the Bee more right now. It's like I want the AL for later but maybe it will be too much for later. I also have a Quest. So here are the reasons I love it.

It is an umbrella that reclines flat
It will fit across the back of my Mazda5 with all seats up
My 3 year old is very comfortable in it and she fits great in it unlike in the Bee
Smoother ride than the Quest
Cushier seat than the Quest

What I don't like about it

I'm quite short--5ft and think it's a bit too tall. I could not maneuver it one handed when my 3 year old fell asleep in it.

Seat is warm and causes my infant to sweat in it. We are in hot and humid TX.

The sun will inevitably be in dd's face at some point when she's in it.

Not too fond of the colors...though I finally ordered a liner for it last night only to receive an e-mail moments later from someone interested in purchasing it.

So...I'm supposed to meet up and sell it this evening but I'm chickening out.
I basically want to keep it for when dd will want to face forward. She's so laid back and is the first of my dds to sleep in a stroller so I have a feeling the flat recline feature will be useful at some point. The Quest I already own just doesn't recline far enough...

And sometimes I think if it were a different color I wouldn't even think about selling it.

What do I do??:48:

Kaylee31
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
If you don't love it, I would sell it. I'd sell the Quest too, while I was at it. :p
There's just too many strollers choices out there to stick with something you're not crazy about. (Maybe try the G-luxe or Aprica Flat? More breathable material and a bigger canopy).

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 10:45 AM
If you don't love it, I would sell it. :yeahthat: It does not seem to be a good fit for you.

poohbear
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
If you don't love it, I would sell it. I'd sell the Quest too, while I was at it. :p
There's just too many strollers choices out there to stick with something you're not crazy about. (Maybe try the G-luxe or Aprica Flat? More breathable material and a bigger canopy).

:yeahthat:
Sell. You can always find an Albert Thurston on Swap or Strollerista if you decide you want one again. I wouldn't keep it just because you *may* need it later. I use my bee plus with my 2 year old. Our Al barely gets used anymore, but DH won't let me sell it because it's "his" stroller (lives in his car).

ashleybama24
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
There are a million other umbrella strollers out there in various colors, heights, weights, canopys etc. It's not as if Al is impossible to find if you ever wanted to buy another one either.

Beth24
07-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes, I agree with all the PP's...sounds like it just isn't the right fit for you. There are so many other strollers out there that would be better!

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I am 5'6" and I thought my Triumph (same size as the Ryder) was the perfect height for me so yeah for someone who is 5'0" I can see it being too tall. I would look for one of the smaller umbrella strollers like a Combi (this is the only one that comes to mind) that are better for shorter mamas. I always felt like I would be towering over a Combi had I gotten one (they were super popular in 2005/2006 so I am sure I am dating myself....he he!)

I don't know what the handle heights are on the new Apricas, but I have seen some super small ones at our local mall (no offense to anyone, but I live near a large Asian population and I have seen Apricas from Japan and those are the shortest strollers I have ever seen!) so you might want to look at that brand.

Multimama
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I sold mine. :bag

If you don't love it, sell it. It is such a gorgeous stroller, but I think I am just not an umbrella stroller person. Sell it so you can find what you do love. Like my Micralite Fastfold Superlite. :heartbeat:

mom3boys
07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I would look for one of the smaller umbrella strollers like a Combi (this is the only one that comes to mind) that are better for shorter mamas. I always felt like I would be towering over a Combi had I gotten one (they were super popular in 2005/2006 so I am sure I am dating myself....he he!)

Umm, you mean like this one?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bab/2488747460.html

(By the way, this stroller currently costs $110 new on Amazon. I think I'd be happy if my coworker got me a $110 dollar gift!)

blondflava
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Sell it! Al IS a nice stroller to have but only if you really like it and use it, otherwise what's the point? There are so many cute strollers out there, I'm sure you'll find one that you'll love :). And I'm sure the very knowledgeable BBB Ladies will help you choose one!

BayGirl2
07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Umm, you mean like this one?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bab/2488747460.html

(By the way, this stroller currently costs $110 new on Amazon. I think I'd be happy if my coworker got me a $110 dollar gift!)

That posting is hilarious. But there are 2 strollers in the pictures. Can't tell if either of them is actually the one being sold. I am picturing one of the "free with purchase" BRU umbrellas or the greenish one in the picture on the right.

Oh, and to the OP - I agree, just sell it. And buy something you really like.

3sweetgirls
07-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow! Thanks for the perspective. Sometimes it helps to hear what you already know. :yeahthat: I just sold it this evening and it actually felt good selling it to someone who would actually use it and enjoy it. And it is such a GREAT stroller!!

I also had my dd in the Quest today and realized I really do prefer the smaller footprint of it and it is easier for me to maneuver than the taller Ryder. Someone mentioned they were the same in height so I compared and took a pic before selling it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5928273263_2d509cc4ec_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/omarandjosiegtz/5928273263/)
Quest &; Ryder SBS (http://www.flickr.com/photos/omarandjosiegtz/5928273263/)

I can see why I noticed the difference now.

blondflava
07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah, few inches difference. I thought the Ryders were the old Techno frames? (maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere) That would explain the bigger (and wider fold) frame! Glad you got it off your hands and the polka dot Quest is so cute!

poohbear
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, few inches difference. I thought the Ryders were the old Techno frames? (maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere) That would explain the bigger (and wider fold) frame! Glad you got it off your hands and the polka dot Quest is so cute!

SQ said the ryders were old techno frames. It is definitely longer than the Triumph/QUest. I took side by side pics a while back - I'd have to find them...