PDA

View Full Version : Did I undertip . . .

lmintzer
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
. . . the AAA guy who came to my house this morning? My older Honda had a dead battery. He diagnosed it and changed it for me. I tipped $5. He was here about a half-hour total, maybe less.

Now I'm thinking that wasn't enough. Not that I can do anything about it at this point, but just curious.

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I never tip AAA

Beth

kep
07-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Ooops, I don't think I have ever tipped AAA. I guess I just assumed that they were a service I had already paid for, similar to having my car in the auto shop.

Neelloc
07-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I haven't ever tipped the auto club people either.

JTsMom
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Me either.

momm
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I never tip AAA

:yeahthat:

ChristinaLucia
07-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I've never even thought about tipping them!

zoestargrove
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I've never even thought about tipping them!

me neither.

Melanie
07-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I've never tipped.

MMMommy
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Never tipped AAA either.

BabbyO
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Ooops, I don't think I have ever tipped AAA. I guess I just assumed that they were a service I had already paid for, similar to having my car in the auto shop.

:yeahthat: Wouldn't even have occurred to me to tip...

hollybloom24
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I typically tip $5.

TwinFoxes
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I've never tipped them and don't plan to start (including when I locked myself out of the car last friday!)

lmintzer
07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I figured I should tip, as it wasn't just a jump but was a battery change (and on a 90+ hot and humid miserable day). I'm glad to hear that people either don't feel they need to tip or tip about what I did.

liz
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't tip, but once a AAA tech came out to change a tire at our house (in 90 degree weather). I just offered him some cold soda/gatorade which he gladly accepted.

mariza
07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I think your tip was fine and probably very appreciated. Most of the people that have come to bail me out through AAA are local companies that hold a contract with AAA and the workers don't make money off the AAA affiliation. I dont think they really expect tips but are happy to get them. Last time I had to call AAA it was because my friend locked her baby in the car on a hot day with the keys in the ignition. The A/C was on, but it was still scary. I live in the middle of no-where-land and they got here in 15 minutes once they heard there was a baby involved. You bet I tipped that guy $10 and it was worth so much more than that!

ett
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Never tipped AAA either.

smiles33
07-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I think your tip was fine and probably very appreciated. Most of the people that have come to bail me out through AAA are local companies that hold a contract with AAA and the workers don't make money off the AAA affiliation. I dont think they really expect tips but are happy to get them. Last time I had to call AAA it was because my friend locked her baby in the car on a hot day with the keys in the ignition. The A/C was on, but it was still scary. I live in the middle of no-where-land and they got here in 15 minutes once they heard there was a baby involved. You bet I tipped that guy $10 and it was worth so much more than that!

How scary! I saw a fire engine at the local BRU when a couple locked their child inside. I think I would have been hyperventilating!

OP: I've never tipped either but I think it's nice you did.

Staraglimmer
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Add me to the never thought to tip AAA crowd.

Sent from my iPhone
Steph

LMPC
07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Another one who has never tipped AAA.

mjmamma
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Last time I locked myself out, the guy came fast and worked fast..I tipped $10 since he did a good job and I appreciated it. But, it seems like your $5 is above normal :)

amldaley
07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Good Gracious...when does the tipping end???????????????????????

I have never tipped AAA. :bag I almost never have cash on me and darn it, at some point, why am I tipping people who make more per hour than I do? I get tipping the server at a restaurant and my stylist who takes extra time with me and does not even charge what she is worth. But I think the pressure to tip has become excessive. I am farily certain that AAA guy is making more than minimum wage.

TwinFoxes
07-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Good Gracious...when does the tipping end???????????????????????

... I am farily certain that AAA guy is making more than minimum wage.

I'm with you. I am a generous tipper, but seriously, if the AAA guy is getting tipped, why not just tip everyone we come into contact with? Grocery clerk, bank teller, guy who charges me $8 for DDs and me to ride his stupid train in the mall. I'm sure the AAA repairman/locksmith makes more, or the same, as most of them. Waiters make below minimum wage, the IRS assumes a certain amount of tips as wages, they NEED their tips. I don't get it, the AAA guy is simply doing his not poorly paid job, why should I tip him?

Anyway, you know, I guess whatever if you want to tip, but really, where do you draw the line?

mjmamma
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
While I do understand, I think it's appropriate to tip anyone who provides a service and does it well. While the majority of some people's wages do depend on their tips, sometimes it's just an added way of saying thanks, imo.
In this situation, I was out to dinner with a bunch of friends, it was maybe 10 degrees and not having to wait a long time for him (when we all know he could have taken his sweet time) was worth $100 to me (if I was rich)!

bubbaray
07-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I am a generous tipper and it has never dawned on me to tip AAA.

amldaley
07-11-2011, 09:15 PM
While I do understand, I think it's appropriate to tip anyone who provides a service and does it well. While the majority of some people's wages do depend on their tips, sometimes it's just an added way of saying thanks, imo.
In this situation, I was out to dinner with a bunch of friends, it was maybe 10 degrees and not having to wait a long time for him (when we all know he could have taken his sweet time) was worth $100 to me (if I was rich)!

They are usually paid by the job, not the hour - so doubt he would have taken his time. Time is money (I only know this as my BIL is a tow driver/lock out guy in the Boston area).

Could you please define "anyone who provides a service"?

ETA: That wasn't mean to sound bi!chy or challenging...just wondering!

mariza
07-11-2011, 09:51 PM

I :heartbeat: that you've taken to providing "post disclaimers" these days :ROTFLMAO:

I tip the AAA guy because he is usually saving my a$$ from serious trouble. If I have a couple of bucks, I give it to him and tell him to grab some coffee, if I don't have any money I don't sweat it, just smile and give a sincere thank you. I tip at restaurants and hotels also tour-guides while on vacation, but generally no where else (my Mom does my hair)

mimosa
07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I am a generous tipper and it has never dawned on me to tip AAA.

:yeahthat:

mjmamma
07-11-2011, 11:06 PM
They are usually paid by the job, not the hour - so doubt he would have taken his time. Time is money (I only know this as my BIL is a tow driver/lock out guy in the Boston area).

Could you please define "anyone who provides a service"?

I've had AAA guys take over an hour, so whatever the case or reason, I was grateful and for me that's what it comes down to....he saved me time and allowed me to quickly resume my evening. Also, he's not making soooo much money that he can't appreciate $10, regardless if he gets paid hourly or by the job. I wasn't dealing with a highly paid doctor and I do understand it's not deemed necessary.

And while I don't tip everyone who does anything in my presence, lol, I think when you are very happy with a service and are able to tip, it's a nice gesture to do so....and so is simply saying 'thank you' which many people do not always do.

As far as "anyone who provides a service," there is no set boundary, imo. I tip if it strikes me. Even tipping food servers/bartenders is not mandatory but based on courtesy and appreciation. I know people who tip the servers at functions/weddings! And I know many have never thought of this but it makes sense.

FWIW, I waited tables for years and know the value of a tip which is probably why I am quick to tip if I'm pleased & in a financial position to do so. I know few wealthy people who wait tables or work for AAA. HTH

mjmamma
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I :heartbeat: that you've taken to providing "post disclaimers" these days :ROTFLMAO:

I tip the AAA guy because he is usually saving my a$$ from serious trouble. If I have a couple of bucks, I give it to him and tell him to grab some coffee, if I don't have any money I don't sweat it, just smile and give a sincere thank you. I tip at restaurants and hotels also tour-guides while on vacation, but generally no where else (my Mom does my hair)

Same here w/AAA, he pretty much saved my butt....and see, I don't know if I would think to tip a tour guide!

reneed
07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't typically tip AAA...however....my brand new acura died right after dinner one night an hour from home. I have my 95 yr old Grandma, my Mom and my Son with me. Rather than just tow the car he worked on it for almost an hour and got it to start for me. He also entertained my then 3 year old son while he did it. He went OVER and BEYOND, so in that case I tipped him 20., but no, I typically don't

kijip
07-12-2011, 03:00 AM
My brilliant husband who I love so much locked the keys in the car while we were camping in the middle of nowhere, in the late evening when it was already pitch black, with the lights on so the battery would die if we let it go all night and all of our food in the car as well. The Pop-A-Lock guy drove from FAR away, likely called out of his bed to do so. We gave him a tip. He saved our trip. That is the first and only time I have ever thought to tip someone for that service.

hwin708
07-12-2011, 03:40 AM
I have had AAA replace a battery once, and change a flat tire more times than I care to count. I always tip a flat $20. Regardless of if it is 10 minutes in my driveway or 45 minutes on the side of a busy highway. That's just the easiest and most appropriate denomination I can think of in the moment.
And I've been in the car with many friends when they've gotten a flat and had to call AAA, and they all tip as well (though I never noticed how much).

It has NEVER occurred to me NOT to tip the AAA guy. And now I fear every time I do, I am going to remember this thread and think "Do I even need to be doing this?" LOL

Either way, I guess the consensus is, there is no set rule on this one, so you were fine.

TwinFoxes
07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
My brilliant husband who I love so much locked the keys in the car while we were camping in the middle of nowhere, in the late evening when it was already pitch black, with the lights on so the battery would die if we let it go all night and all of our food in the car as well. The Pop-A-Lock guy drove from FAR away, likely called out of his bed to do so. We gave him a tip. He saved our trip. That is the first and only time I have ever thought to tip someone for that service.

Was this through AAA? Because one of my issues with tipping the AAA person is I PAY DUES to AAA. That's one of the reasons I pay dues, so I don't have to depend on the whim of a random locksmith.

I've used AAA 3 times so far this year (I am a forgetful person, so one car lock out, one house lock out, and one time towing my car for a new fuel pump). If I tipped $20 per event that would be getting close to the amount I pay in dues! :)

amldaley
07-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Your AAA guy is likely my BIL. :D There's only 3 or 4 of them in your area.

And yes...I am adding disclaimers because I feel like I don't have the mental accuity to monitor what I am saying/typing lately and I feel bad afterwards! I have had to be VERY careful at work. I can't ETA what I say in a department head meeting and the funny thing about these high ranking pilots, they don't like being sassed by me.

kijip
07-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Was this through AAA? Because one of my issues with tipping the AAA person is I PAY DUES to AAA. That's one of the reasons I pay dues, so I don't have to depend on the whim of a random locksmith.

I've used AAA 3 times so far this year (I am a forgetful person, so one car lock out, one house lock out, and one time towing my car for a new fuel pump). If I tipped $20 per event that would be getting close to the amount I pay in dues! :)

It was paid for through the roadside assistance part of our insurance. I find this cheaper than AAA by a lot. I think it add maybe $10 per 6 month period and covers all the same things as AAA except not in someone elses car too like AAA. My husband used to be on a first name basis with a pop a lock guy in Seattle. He regularly locked his keys in the car (thankfully he does not do this anymore quite as much) and I agree that under normal circumstances, I would not tip and have not tipped. I don't even think it is necessary to tip in the camping trip situation. In our case though it seemed reasonable to do so. The only reason it took him more than an hour to come is that it was an hours drive from where he came. It was an out of the ordinary situation!

hwin708
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM

I've used AAA 3 times so far this year (I am a forgetful person, so one car lock out, one house lock out, and one time towing my car for a new fuel pump). If I tipped $20 per event that would be getting close to the amount I pay in dues! :)But because of AAA, I don't have to pay for the service itself.
I don't see how paying AAA dues is related to tipping? IMO, the dues are connected to paying for the service, not the tip. If I would tip a non-AAA affiliated person, I would tip a AAA person.

mariza
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I got curious and did some googling after seeing the different responses here. I found this article http://www.itipping.com/tip-tow-truck-aaa.htm
The comments under the article are actually more interesting. I still don't think you have to tip, but I would be more inclined to tip AAA drivers over a private business guy who is getting 100% of the profit. Just my .02

TwinFoxes
07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
But because of AAA, I don't have to pay for the service itself.
I don't see how paying AAA dues is related to tipping? IMO, the dues are connected to paying for the service, not the tip. If I would tip a non-AAA affiliated person, I would tip a AAA person.

I think they're completely related. I pay AAA dues so I don't have to worry that I'll be able to find a reputable company when I'm stuck on the side of the road. I expect AAA providers to show up on a timely basis, and fix my car because I pay dues, I'd stop paying dues if I didn't get good service. If I'm calling random "Joe's House of Roadside Repair", who knows what kind of service I'd get? If a AAA provider took a long time to show up I'd be pissed off. If Joe's House of Roadside Assistance showed up late, I'd think "eh, it's a crap shoot".

Although in all honesty I wouldn't usually tip a non-AAA person either, I just don't think this is a job that gets a tip (if a non-AAA person went above and beyond, I'd at least consider it though). I don't tip car mechanics either. These are skilled laborers who are compensated pretty well. I just don't think everyone deserves a tip. I get that "it's appreciated", but who wouldn't appreciate a tip? I'd love it if I got tips in my job. :)