PDA

View Full Version : The Berenstain Bears

buddyleebaby
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
As a child, I remember thinking that the Berenstain Bears were just like my family, except my little sister was missing.

Apparently, the third bear cub was added back in 2000. I just didn't know it until my 4 year old checked out a "newer" Berenstain Bear book from the library.

I am excited that the little sister is there now. I am a dork. And an old one at that. :waving4:

HIU8
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Wait, there are 3 bear cubs now? I didn't know that. There was always brother and sister bear and that's it. That's how all my kids books are, and it was on sprout for awhile that way as well. I obviously live under a rock......

lhafer
07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the baby bear is named Honey Bear I believe. There's a book about bringing her home. My kids love the Berenstein bear books.

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I and my ds1 love the Berenstain Bears' books!

Beth

ArizonaGirl
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
i loved the berenstein bears books as a child and glad to hear that they are still around because I was thinking about bringing them out for us to read to DS.

happymom
07-11-2011, 10:58 PM
I haven't read one in ages, but I remember reading one as a teen and being disturbed by what a total dope the father is made out to be...am I remembering incorrectly?

lalasmama
07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
DD also loves the Berenstein Bears. I was excited when I saw Honey Bear, LOL. I haven't found an "introduction" book for her though??.... At any rate, we have started buying the "collection" books that are 5 books in one (hardback). And she's been having so much fun with the Christian-themed Berenstein Bears books. I'm pleased that she likes them. She gets a kick out of it when I share with her my favorite BB stories from when I was little.

nrp
07-11-2011, 11:06 PM
I haven't read one in ages, but I remember reading one as a teen and being disturbed by what a total dope the father is made out to be...am I remembering incorrectly?

It depends on the book. I have an old copy of the "Bear Scouts" where Papa Bear is a total idiot, but I just don't read that one. The one where they go to the doctor also makes Papa looks a little silly, but not bad enough that I took it off the shelf. My kids love the books, and we have many, all with a "lesson" in the end.

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2011, 11:11 PM

A child psychologist we went to about ds1 suggested Berenstain Bears but clarified by saying she hates how the dad is portrayed and the mom treats him like a kid. I wish she hadn't pointed that out b/c it never bothered me before and now it does.

Beth

buddyleebaby
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Probably not. There are quite a few stories where Papa Bear is clueless, and Mama Bear is (usually) patient and always wise.

Just like my family. :ROTFLMAO:

liamsmom
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I remember one as a kid where Mama Bear completely loses it--Messy Room. she starts throwing out the kids' toys and the kids are crying and Papa comes in and calms everyone down before they all start cleaning and organizing together.

I also recall that Mama includes Papa (without his consent) in the No-TV for a week book. She was pretty condescending towards him.

I'm so glad DS likes his BB board book. I can't wait to start reading him the "real" books!