PDA

View Full Version : Travel help! Liquid Medicine

ecofem
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Have any of you traveled with liquid medicine lately? My son was just prescribed liquid antibiotics (of course, the kind that have to be refrigerated) for a 10 day course. We are set to leave on a flight this Wednesday. I have read the TSA website and it sounds like I can take this in a carry-on, as long as I declare it and they screen it. However, I'm not sure how to handle the keeping it cool part.

Husband says I should just stick it in a lunchbox with a gel pack and pack it in the checked bag....

Opinions/experiences? Thanks!

infomama
07-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Liquid meds are fine..I'd do a soft sided cooler and ice pack.
(from the TSA site)

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

rlu
07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I would take in a soft side with ice pack (not sure if gel packs are allowed) as carry-on. If the rx is not on the bottle, bring the box too, jic.

caheinz
07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't do a checked bag. It'd be just the time for them to lose or misdirect those bags... or for you to get caught with a last minute change that the bags don't make it to.

What about a soft-sided insulated lunch bag with a gel [no! see note below!] pack? Definitely declare it -- much easier than getting caught. And it should fit into another bag without taking up too much space.

Editing to note: NO GEL PACKS! Sorry, forgot that part. It has to be an ice pack that is frozen solid, otherwise you'll have to leave the thawed ice pack behind.