PDA

View Full Version : Bike for 3 year old

ZeeBaby
07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
DD just turned 3 and really wants a bike. Any recommendations on what size wheels and a specific bike? She is pretty tall 39.5 inches.

HIU8
07-11-2011, 01:30 PM
DD had a 12 inch bike with training wheels. At age 4 she moved to a 16 inch bike. Some people start with a balance bike. We didn't, but it's not a bad idea to do so.

arivecchi
07-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I would recommend the Specialized Hotrock. Take her to a bike shop with you. The 16 inch one might work.

WatchingThemGrow
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
My 3yo did the Specialized Hotwalk balance bike for a while, then moved to a 12" Hotrock (w/pedals) a bit later. He happily rides along - no training wheels ever. It was a very easy way for him to learn. DD did the same thing, but she went from the Hotwalk to a 16" Hotrock with the seatpost shortened at 4yo. She learned to ride the first day after being completely competent with the balance bike.

Depends on which route you want to go...

carolinamama
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Based on our experience, I'd got with the Hotwalk. DS1 rode his balance bike until he was 4 or so and then took off on his 16 inch Hotrock down the street within minutes, no training wheels. DS2 inherited the balance bike and is zooming all over the neighborhood on it now. The boys have had so much fun on that little bike. FWIW, we have a Like-a-Bike Jumper b/c the Hotwalk wasn't available when we bought it for DS1 but we love DS1's Hotrock so much that I can't imagine we wouldn't love the Hotwalk.

ZeeBaby
07-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Are there any deals on the hot walk? I am seeing it for $160, which is above our price range. TIA it looks like a great bike.

sunshine873
07-12-2011, 10:12 PM
IF you're thinking about a balance bike, check out the Strider. It's usually only $99 & we've been really happy with it so far. DD is still working her way into it, but she's gone down to "get the mail" a few times and is now at the point where she's sitting on the seat & "walking" it along. Next step, pushing off a little more. :)

LaCostaMom
10-01-2011, 01:23 AM
I definitely recommend getting the Hotwalk balance bike and then going to the 16" Hotrock. We just went to the Hotrock today after a year on the balance bike but need to get the seat post shortened before DS can realy take off on it. DS is 3.5yo. He started on the balance bike a year ago.

brittone2
10-02-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd recommend a balance bike. We've had a great experience w/ using it through 2 kids now. We have a Puky but they are hard to find in the US now I think.

DS1 got his for his third bday and that was the perfect time for him. DD started using it at 2.5 and rode off without training wheels at 3.5 (like WTG's dd, it was the first day she had the chance to get on a 2 wheeler with pedals). The balance bike is waiting for DC#3 to be old enough to ride it. He's already trying ;)