PDA

View Full Version : Front loading HE washer dryer recommendations please

Myira
07-11-2011, 01:14 PM
We are in the market for a washer and dryer and mostly will go with front loaders although I would like to hear compelling reasons to go with top loading HEs. Not decided on electric/gas for dryer yet as well, but for gas we'll need to add the gas line in the utility and I am not sure how much work that is.

I have tried to research by looking consumer reports ratings and most of their top rated ones seem to be discontinued models. The reviews and rating everywhere else seem to be a mixed bag and there is a dizzying choice of models per brand.

So if you love you washer dryer please recommend it and also would like to hear where you bought it from.

TIA.

sariana
07-11-2011, 01:21 PM
We have a front loader.

Reasons to consider a top loader:

-A front loader cannot do a true "soak" mode. It has a soak cycle, but you can't leave something soaking for hours (or days) as you can with a top loader.

-Every single time I move things from the washer to the dryer, something falls on the floor. Just a minor nuisance, but something to consider. The clothes clump together, and as I pull out one thing, something else (or several somethings) comes with it and falls. With a top loader, it would just fall back into the basket.

-There is a small window of opportunity to add missed items. A very small window. Once the door locks, you're out of luck.

That being said, we like our front loaders. We have the Whirlpool WFW9250 washer and WGD9270 (gas) dryer. The dryer model # is different because DH wanted the manual timer/digital display option. It is useful for drying something for a set amount of time, but it is useless at predicting how much time is left. It resets to 99 minutes (the max) because it can't really tell how much time is left.

We bought them and two pedestals with drawers after Thanksgiving last year. We bought them at Lowe's during a sale. (The pedestals rarely go on sale.) With the sale plus Lowe's 10% military discount, we got a pretty good deal.

sariana
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Oh, one more thing. Make sure you measure your space. Front loaders need more front-to-back space (so the doors can open), and all machines seem to be bigger now than they used to be. We were limited in our options because we have a pass-through laundry room.

Trigglet
07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
We love our LG Tromm - it's pretty much their bottom of the line HE front loader - I think we paid about $700 for the washer from Sears and we got the dryer for about $300 on clearance from BestBuy (I tried, valiantly to do without a dryer, but eventually the cloth diapers and humidity did for me and I caved!!)

I think this is the closest to the model we have (which is discontinued)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02645112000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

HTH

AnnieW625
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
We have this middle of the road unit (see below), which was sold as a Kenmore when we bought it in 2005, now it's sold as a Frigidaire (who made the unit for Kenmore). I don't know if I would buy it again though because it's not very quiet, esp. if you over load the washer. It cleans okay, but really stunk for cloth pocket diapers. I do like the delay setting on the unit (4, 8, 12 hrs.; I'll often do a load in the middle of the night and then put in the dryer before I go to work). Also I don't like the settings have rubbed off the front of the washer (probably due to spilling a bit of liquid soap). I know for sure I would not buy the dryer again because the dryer sensor doesn't work right unless I use the high-towel setting. I have to dry everything else on medium using the time cycle. One plus is that I have had very few things shrink with the dryer.
Frigidaire Front Loader (http://www.frigidaire.com/products/home-appliances/washers/frfw3700lw)
Frigidaire gas dryer (http://www.frigidaire.com/products/home-appliances/dryers/frqg7000lw)

Next time we need to buy a unit I will most likely buy a top loading unit for many of the same reasons that Sariana posted.

Also if you don't have height room for the front loading pedestels the controls of these units are right at walking toddler heights. My units beep when they are changed and don't switch mid cycle, but it's really irritating.

BayGirl2
07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I absolutely love our Maytag front loaders. Its (I believe) the 9000 series, with steam and an OxiClean cycle. They were the newest models 2.5 years ago. I've used the steam cycles to remove stains in a white chair cover that would otherwise have been ruined and expensive to replace (my previous washer did not get it clean). I also use the dryer steam cycle to dewrinkle fabrics, and can do a hand wash cycle in the washer. I do pretty much zero dry cleaning now. I don't think I've ever had a need to soak something in the washer, I use a sink for extended soaking. We do have a lot of options for different cycles and cleaner combinations.

I'm sold on front loaders because of the efficiency. I've never missed a feature from the top loaders, and we CD and use them a lot. To the PP who mentioned dropping stuff during the transfer - isn't that still a problem with a top load washer since dryers are all front load? I feel like I dropped more stuff with a top loader since the doors are further apart, now my transfer distance is just a few inches.

secchick
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
We went with a no-agitator HE top loader and don't regret it for a second. I can put in a few items whenever I feel like it, let things soak, add Oxyclean later if I forget, no worries about moldy odors, etc. With multiple kids, I am paranoid after that story of the child drowning in the washer closed and started by the toddler sibling and the inability to open the door. No front loaders for me.

crayonblue
07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I asked about washers just a few days ago. I think we are going to go with a HE top loader. I think. So many options!

ohiomom1121
07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I am on my second set of LG front loaders and am beyond happy with them. (First set was left when we moved). I got the red ones at Home Depot with the pedestals. They are on the second floor and I never notice any sound or vibration from them. I can stop the washer at any time to add something as well, so I guess that varies by model. Clothes come out clean, they are HUGE, and they are quiet.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202864943/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202527716/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202705356