PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE in first post*Lands End lunchbox?

TamiRuns
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
UPDATE: I ordered the Studyhaul lunchbox and backpack - they arrived earlier this week and they are the perfect size for DS1 (going into first grade). I was concerned they would be too large but they are not at all. In fact, I'm certain the featherlight would have been too small and I would have exchanged it.

Thanks everyone for the input - especially bubbaray!

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

I'm searching for Ds1's first lunchbox. I *think* I've decided on one from Lands End. Having a tough time deciding on which one....featherlight (9x8x3 1/2) or studyhaul (11x8x3 1/2). He's going into first grade.....the sudyhaul might be too big?

If you have one from LE, which one and can you comment on the size- what are you able to fit in it?

Also, any issues with durability? I noticed a few negative reviews stating the interior fabric ripped.

TIA!

new_mommy25
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I bought the Featherlights for my kids because they were $4 this summer. DS has been packing his every day this summer for Summer Fun. There is a mesh pocket on the top where I can put a flat ice pack. The whole thing holds quite a bit. I can fit a lap top lunch or ziploc divided container with a juice pouch. I usually do 2-3 Fit N Fresh containers with a juice pouch. I have found there is more than enough room for everything I need to pack for my 2nd grader. Also the sides are flexible rather than stiff so even if it is packed to the max it is easy to zipper shut. There is carabiner clip on the front that I clip his Camelbak to. I bought DD the matching backpack for Kindergarten and I like how her lunchbox can clip right on the front.

I can't comment on durability since we've only had it a few months. As far as the Study Haul, I don't know if it is better, but I do know that for DS and DD a larger size isn't needed. I have a Costco lunch box I use for me and it is too big for their needs.

TamiRuns
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Angie, for the great review! Sounds like the featherlight will be plenty big enough.

Where or how did you get one for $4?! What a deal....I was thinking $15 wasn't too bad....

Thanks again!

new_mommy25
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Angie, for the great review! Sounds like the featherlight will be plenty big enough.

Where or how did you get one for $4?! What a deal....I was thinking $15 wasn't too bad....

Thanks again!

They had a big sale a few months ago. I think it was about April? It was 30% off clearance plus free ship. I read about it here in the bargain forum and jumped on the chance to get order the lunchboxes and DD's backpack.

TamiRuns
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
I remember that coupon. Too bad I didnt plan ahead! I'll wait a few weeks and then probably just order @ $15.....

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Both my girls used the LE Featherlight this past year at school (DD#1 = grade 1) and daycare (DD#2). It is a great lunchbox. Daily use since September and they still look new. I could use them again. However, I get them new backpacks and lunchboxes every year.

For September 2011, I got them LE Classmate Studyhaul lunchboxes. They are MUCH bigger. They have a good-sized outside zip pocket (the Featherweight has a velcro outside pocket and its pretty useless other than for a napkin). The inside main compartment is bigger. It also has an exterior bottle pocket, that I think will be very handy for DD#2 (who isn't allowed a backpack at daycare, so I just carry in her lunch and funtainer in a separate bag. Now I won't need a separate bag.

I also have the LLB original lunchbox (not the critter), it is MUCH SMALLER than either of the LE ones we have. I don't like it nearly as much.

I think the Studyhaul is what I would recommend. Its a bit bigger and your DS#1 likely eats more than my DD#1. I find the Featherlight a bit tight with a sandwich container. It works better with something thinner like a reusable sandwich wrap. Our school does litterless lunches, great in theory but a PITA logistically.

Let me know if I can help further.

TamiRuns
07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks, Melissa, for the input! I'll reconsider the studyhaul....and I'm considering a backpack too.

Now I just need a LE code to show up....

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I got her the Featherweight 100 backpack last year. It is great, but the zipper sticks. I got her the Classmate Studyhaul this yr and DD#2 the Smallhaul. They are nice, the zippers aren't covered so won't stick. I can't tell you about the quality (DD#1 won't use hers until September and DD#2 will use her's next yr), but the Featherweight looks brand new and could be used again in 2011/2012. We also have the LLB original (Jr and original) and they are nice, but don't have exterior bottle pockets, which DD#1 wants/needs.

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 09:36 AM
FYI, backpacks and lunchboxes are 20% off at LE now. Not as good as 40%, but still pretty good.

lhafer
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Both my girls used the LE Featherlight this past year at school (DD#1 = grade 1) and daycare (DD#2). It is a great lunchbox. Daily use since September and they still look new. I could use them again. However, I get them new backpacks and lunchboxes every year.

For September 2011, I got them LE Classmate Studyhaul lunchboxes. They are MUCH bigger. They have a good-sized outside zip pocket (the Featherweight has a velcro outside pocket and its pretty useless other than for a napkin). The inside main compartment is bigger. It also has an exterior bottle pocket, that I think will be very handy for DD#2 (who isn't allowed a backpack at daycare, so I just carry in her lunch and funtainer in a separate bag. Now I won't need a separate bag.

I also have the LLB original lunchbox (not the critter), it is MUCH SMALLER than either of the LE ones we have. I don't like it nearly as much.

I think the Studyhaul is what I would recommend. Its a bit bigger and your DS#1 likely eats more than my DD#1. I find the Featherlight a bit tight with a sandwich container. It works better with something thinner like a reusable sandwich wrap. Our school does litterless lunches, great in theory but a PITA logistically.

Let me know if I can help further.

Bubbaray - what do you do with the previous year's lunch box and back pack?

TamiRuns
07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I got her the Featherweight 100 backpack last year. It is great, but the zipper sticks. I got her the Classmate Studyhaul this yr and DD#2 the Smallhaul. They are nice, the zippers aren't covered so won't stick. I can't tell you about the quality (DD#1 won't use hers until September and DD#2 will use her's next yr), but the Featherweight looks brand new and could be used again in 2011/2012. We also have the LLB original (Jr and original) and they are nice, but don't have exterior bottle pockets, which DD#1 wants/needs.

I think I'm going to order the Studyhaul backpack. I measured the bp Zach used for kindy and it is smaller, and also not the best quality. I was surprised to read reviews where ppl were complaining about the studyhaul being too small. I can't imagine going bigger quite *yet*.

I noticed the sale....guess I better get my order in now so I get my first color choice.

TamiRuns
07-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Bubbaray - what do you do with the previous year's lunch box and back pack?

That was my next question!

If Zach wants new stuff next year, I can always give Ben his old stuff. However, at some point, that just isn't going to fly anymore!

TamiRuns
07-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Guess what just landed in the mail?? A LE kids catalog with a code for free shipping, no minimum!! :jammin:

Code: BACKPACKHQ2

PIN: 9425

Kindra178
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Guess what just landed in the mail?? A LE kids catalog with a code for free shipping, no minimum!! :jammin:

Code: BACKPACKHQ2

PIN: 9425

That catalog was really helpful for this backpack obsessed mom because it showed size in comparison to the kid. We have a perfectly usable backpack but I am obsessed with looking at new ones - I am worried it will be too small for when winter rolls around.

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I keep the previous year's lunchbox & backpack as spares. DD#1's current backpack will be used starting in September for her dance stuff. She was using a previously LLB Jr Original and its not big enough, whereas the Featherlight should be.

The previous year's lunchboxes are spares in case one gets left at school/daycare or we are going on a trip (I don't like to use school backpacks and lunchboxes for trips -- they are only for school and stay "loaded" for school with agendas, medicine, etc).

I know its a bit wasteful to get new ones each year and maybe I won't do that next year, who knows. I fell in love with this yr's LE ones (pink butterfly and purple heart). I know from last yr that the girly patterned ones in the colors my kids like sell out before they go on deep discount.

toby
07-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Can someone comment on the LE Featherlight vs the SmallHaul lunch box? It looks like they are about the same size, but I am wondering about sturdiness/crushability. Also, the shape looks different.

bubbaray
07-16-2011, 09:14 AM
The SmallHaul opens from the top, like a paper bag. That style d/n work for us, the kids use the lunchboxes kinda like a plate, they open them up and eat over top. YMMV

toby
07-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Very helpful, thanks! LE should have pictures of the insides IMO. I agree that the ones that open from the top are not ideal...

TamiRuns
07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Update in first post....

bubbaray
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Hope you (and your DS!) like them! :)

94bruin
07-23-2011, 02:49 AM
UPDATE: I ordered the Studyhaul lunchbox and backpack - they arrived earlier this week and they are the perfect size for DS1 (going into first grade). I was concerned they would be too large but they are not at all. In fact, I'm certain the featherlight would have been too small and I would have exchanged it.

I also ordered the Studyhaul backpack & lunchbag. We tried it out at Sears. I'd say that the Shorthaul is perfect for my petite 46" rising first grader. However, I want a backpack that will last her a few years, so we went for the Studyhaul over the Shorthaul.