PDA

View Full Version : Cardio questions

lovin2shop
07-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, it's around 105 here today, so I'm sticking to the gym. Today is a cardio day, and I feel like I need a good strategy. I'm not a runner, so I usually just stick to the treadmill. I learned through a training session that I need to focus on elevation rather than speed to burn the most calories. Any other tips?

I've only done the elliptical for about 10 minutes at a time before my thighs burn to no end. Should I keep trying to transition to this instead of the treadmill for a more effective workout? Does the elliptical help you move up to being able to run outside of the gym? Did I mention that I'm so not a runner!?!

And finally, how many calories do you shoot for when you do cardio (if you're a counter like me)?

alirebco
07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
The best way to burn the most calories when doing cardio is doing intervals. I would just try to add on a few more minutes at a time and your endurance will get better.

I'm not a runner either, so I can't help you there :)

Mermanaid
07-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I always use the elliptical for cardio work as it seems to burn the most calories in the shortest amount of time (and my goal is to be done as soon as possible!). When I first started on the elliptical I could not do more than 10 minutes at a time as it burned too much. But over time I've increased it to 45+ mins. Keep pushing through that burn and you will increase your time.

My typical routine is to set the machine on level 1 cause I like it easy. I always think of my time on there in five minute increments. I can do anything for five minutes, right? I will start off around 4.5 - 5mph for 5 mins, then move up to 6-6.5mph for 5 mins, slow down to 5.5 or 5 mons or so then bust it out at 7-8mph for the remainder of the time. Then do a 5 minute warm down slowing my pace down to about 3.5. All in all it's a 35 min workout.

I input my weight (which isn't light@!) and using that formula I usually burn between 350 - 400 cals in 30 mins. I was burning half that on the treadmill. Of course, I was not playing with the incline so I was probably doing myself a disservice.

hillview
07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I shoot for an hour of cardio in a session. Usually I get between 400 and 500 calories.
/hillary

lovin2shop
07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Mermanaid, it does sound like I need to move to the elliptical as I never to get 400 or 500 calories in a session.

And alirebco, I've never tried the intervals, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if I notice an improvement in calories burned.

Hillview, I know you've been successful so far, are you doing cardio everyday? I'm trying really hard to build muscle as well, but I'm not seeing the weightloss that I would like, so maybe I need to focus more on cardio.

hillview
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Mermanaid, it does sound like I need to move to the elliptical as I never to get 400 or 500 calories in a session.

And alirebco, I've never tried the intervals, so I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if I notice an improvement in calories burned.

Hillview, I know you've been successful so far, are you doing cardio everyday? I'm trying really hard to build muscle as well, but I'm not seeing the weightloss that I would like, so maybe I need to focus more on cardio.

I usually do 6/7 days of cardio and take one day off. I do like intervals. I run til my HRM is up to 160s and then walk til it drops to 130s and then run again. It is a goofy game.