PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pot do I want?

elektra
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I know nothing about cookware. (yes I am talking bout cookware, people! ;))
After the talk of scratched Teflon, I noticed a scratch in the bottom of our 8-quart pot. And I need to replace it. We currently have a farberware non-stick set. Do I want stainless steel now? Should I get a whole set or just the one pot?
I don't cook much and mostly use out 8- quart pot for boiling pasta.

Isn't the stainless steel really hard to clean?

SnuggleBuggles
07-12-2011, 09:59 PM
My stainless is easy as can be to clean!! I have a whole set and get a lot of use out of it. I have a mix of Macy's store brand ones and All Clad (iirc). I put them in the dishwasher. If I do by hand I usually soak for a bit.

Beth

Fairy
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Might wanna stick with the kind you grow in your indoor herb garden.

DietCokeLover
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM

This is kind of where my brain went when I read the title as well.

Fairy
07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
This is kind of where my brain went when I read the title as well.

I couldn't help it ...

katydid1971
07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Personally I got rid of all teflon products in my house a few years ago. I use a combo of different pots and pans. I have some all clad stainless steel pots that I use for pasta etc. I don't think they are hard to clean especially after cooking pasta but maybe we do something different. I have Le Creuset fry pans and a couple green pans which have a ceramic non-stick coating.

katydid1971
07-12-2011, 10:12 PM
:hysterical:

DietCokeLover
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
I couldn't help it ...

I know, it was just sitting there waiting for a great remark, wasn't it? :hysterical:

Fairy
07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I love you, Elektra! No be mad!

elektra
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I love you, Elektra! No be mad!

You better come up with a cooking vessel recommendation then! ;)

Fairy
07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
You better come up with a cooking vessel recommendation then! ;)

Um, calphalon? It's the best I can do. I don't know s*** about cooking, come on, now, we know this!

arivecchi
07-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I have an all clad stainless set and really like it.

sste
07-13-2011, 12:11 AM
I also really like my all-clad stainless - - over ten years and when I clean with barkeepers friend they look practically new.

I think "Belgique" (sp?) is similar, maybe a little less fancy/lifetime but very good quality and well-priced - - same basic idea of stainless steel construction around an aluminum core.

And I have heard good reviews in my cooking magazine for tramontina (sp?) and I think someone I know spoke highly of the costco stainless set (kirkland maybe?). Again, what you are looking for is stainless steel cladding surrounding a heat-conducting core of aluminum or (spendier) copper.

HTH. And in California, you just get a prescription for the other stuff. :)

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 01:05 AM
I think we'd all be better off taking herbal remedy advice from Fairy instead of cookware advice, LOL. JUST KIDDING, HIL!

I really like my Lagostina set I got from Costco. IIRC, that set is now the Kirkland set.

No way, no how would I dish out for All Clad unless it came with Curtis Stone to do all my cooking. Or possibly Gordon Ramsay, I could teach him some new swear words....

MontrealMum
07-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I think we'd all be better off taking herbal remedy advice from Fairy instead of cookware advice, LOL. JUST KIDDING, HIL!

I really like my Lagostina set I got from Costco. IIRC, that set is now the Kirkland set.

No way, no how would I dish out for All Clad unless it came with Curtis Stone to do all my cooking. Or possibly Gordon Ramsay, I could teach him some new swear words....

:yeahthat: :heartbeat:

We have a mish-mash of cast iron (no idea of the make), Calphalon (from the outlet), Lagostina (Sears Canada has some great deals on this), and some enamel-style cookware (Le Creuset and others). It takes some getting used to if you're switching from teflon, but it's not all that difficult once you get the hang of it. Just be prepared that some of the initial dinners cooked with new pots might be a little iffy ;)

elektra
07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
About to pull the trigger on this from Costco:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11503441&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=55004&b=1&lang=en-US

I think this is what I want, right?

I will need stainless steel cooking lessons!

bubbaray
07-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Yup, that's the one I'd get if I were getting it now. Its very similar to my Lagostina one (I'd guess its made by them, its that similar).

Just remember to use oil when you use the skillet. I use the pots like any other pots.

Also, I have Lodge cast iron skillets that I get a Walmart in the US, they are great for things like browning beef/turkey, making red pasta sauces, etc. I don't use cast iron for eggs (use stainless) or pancakes, though.

crl
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
That looks good to me. Seems quite similar to somestainless cuisinart set I have had for the 15 years we've been married. Works fine and I expect I'll be using it for another fifteen at least.

Catherine

elektra
07-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks everyone! I thought about the All-Clad and also about a cheap Cuisinart set but I read reviews and while I want something that will last, I don't really cook enough to justify the All-Clad price.
Hopefully this Kirkland Costco set will be what I need.

Who knew I could find the pot I wanted at Costco?? ;)

citymama
07-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Ok, Im on my iPhone, but I seriously did a double take there. I was thinking, "there's a BBB forum for that?" boy, those Fieldses are really thinking about parental wellbeing, aren't they? ;)

lhafer
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Yup, that's the one I'd get if I were getting it now. Its very similar to my Lagostina one (I'd guess its made by them, its that similar).

Just remember to use oil when you use the skillet. I use the pots like any other pots.

Also, I have Lodge cast iron skillets that I get a Walmart in the US, they are great for things like browning beef/turkey, making red pasta sauces, etc. I don't use cast iron for eggs (use stainless) or pancakes, though.

I LOVE my Lodge cast iron pans. I have several of them - from a frying pan to a grilling pan.

:yeahthat: :heartbeat:

We have a mish-mash of cast iron (no idea of the make), Calphalon (from the outlet), Lagostina (Sears Canada has some great deals on this), and some enamel-style cookware (Le Creuset and others). It takes some getting used to if you're switching from teflon, but it's not all that difficult once you get the hang of it. Just be prepared that some of the initial dinners cooked with new pots might be a little iffy ;)

This sounds like my assortment of pots and pans!! I have a mix match of stuff too. I use my Lodge cast iron and my Lodge dutch oven the most.

Cuckoomamma
07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Just want to throw out there that a more pricey brand will guarantee it. I have both Calphalon tri-ply and All Clad. One of my Calphalon is slightly warped on the bottom. You can't tell by eye, but the olive oil pools on one side. They're replacing it, no problem.