PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite meals to take to a new mom

DebbieJ
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I have 2 friends having babies and 2 more friends having surgery this month and I want to bring them all a meal. I have plenty of ideas, but would love to hear more.

Since I am bringing a meal to FOUR families, something inexpensive would be great too.

What is your go-to dish?

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
A ham or a roast chicken with veggies. Either meat is very versatile for sandwiches, casseroles and other extra meals. Easy too.

Beth

traveler
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Stuffed green peppers or Baked macaroni and cheese! yum!

3blackcats
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
A few things that aren't a meal but people brought me that I loved were:
-fruit salad -- all the fruit all cut up so child friendly! I could just scoop it into a bowl and give it to DD to eat.

-muffins - these were great for a snack and could be eaten with one hand.

As for a meal. I usually bring baked chicken breasts, mac and cheese, and a veggie of some sort.

lowrioh
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Pulled pork sandwiches. We stick a pork roast in the crock pot with a bottle of BBQ sauce and set it up to run for ~8 hours. Take it out, shred it and take it over with buns, some coleslaw and a box of ice cream.
I often try to schedule meals for 2 families on the same day because this makes so much food. Either that or we are eating pork BBQ for dinner that night. :)

ETA: in the spirit of full disclosure I will add that DH actually makes the food and I deliver it

pb&j
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Homemade mac n cheese, buttered pease, salad, cookies (or another sweet treat), and bagels and cream cheese for next day's breakfast.

waitingforgrace
07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Roast chicken, I often just buy a rotisserie chicken at the store, baked mac n cheese or some potato side dish, cut up fruit salad and brownies for dessert.

Other things: pasta bake, chicken enchiladas, pot roast w/veggies, chicken soup, potato soup, chili, grilled bbq chicken

jerigirl
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Homemade mac n cheese, buttered pease, salad, cookies (or another sweet treat), and bagels and cream cheese for next day's breakfast.

The bagels for breakfast is a nice touch! I like that idea!

ThreeofUs
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
BC a lot of people have dairy and wheat sensitivities, my go-to dish is a side of salmon (filet) on bed of fresh spinach (washed) with raspberries and raspberry dressing on the side.

Not inexpensive, but it saved our lives when someone did this for us, and I've received the same feedback from others.

Another good one is a baked chicken with a salad and orange dressing on the side.

DietCokeLover
07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Breakfast casserole, fruit and muffins.

Everyone always brings dinner, so I bring for breakfast.

pb&j
07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
BC a lot of people have dairy and wheat sensitivities, my go-to dish is a side of salmon (filet) on bed of fresh spinach (washed) with raspberries and raspberry dressing on the side.

Not inexpensive, but it saved our lives when someone did this for us, and I've received the same feedback from others.

Another good one is a baked chicken with a salad and orange dressing on the side.

As a mac n cheese giver, I do inquire about food allergies/intolerances/preferences before bringing a meal. FTR, I would deeply, deeply appreciate an elegant salmon dinner, but I wouldn't be able to eat it because I'm allergic. :)

mommyp
07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I often do a lasagna or chili, either can be made with meat or veggie-only, depending on the family. I like things that they can eat right away, or freeze for later if they want.

DebbieJ
07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Breakfast casserole, fruit and muffins.

Everyone always brings dinner, so I bring for breakfast.

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I have an EASY breakfast casserole recipe and have many of the ingredients on hand already.

ThreeofUs
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
As a mac n cheese giver, I do inquire about food allergies/intolerances/preferences before bringing a meal. FTR, I would deeply, deeply appreciate an elegant salmon dinner, but I wouldn't be able to eat it because I'm allergic. :)

Same - I always inquire about allergies and intolerances first. That's why my second go-to was baked chicken!

Love the idea of a b'fast casserole with fruit and muffins. LOVE it.

Jen841
07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I make it in a pie dish, but you can do in a 9 x 13. I send it with a salad, dressing, bread and a dessert.

For some reason I can not paste in the recipe, but you can search it in this forum.

hannah
07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
My go to meals are:
Spaghetti & meatballs (turkey or beef), bread, salad & dessert (either brownies or oatmeal choc chip cookies)
Quiche (spinach & cheese OR ham & broccoli), salad & dessert
Chicken tetrazini, salad & bread & dessert
Sometimes I also send along a loaf of banana or zucchini bread.

eh613c
07-21-2011, 05:00 PM
A ham or a roast chicken with veggies. Either meat is very versatile for sandwiches, casseroles and other extra meals. Easy too.

Beth

Love roasted chicken b/c I can use it for saladss, paninis, pasta, by itself with veggies and tacos.