PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain The Difference Between Slim and Regular

Kindra178
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Other than the obvious? Looking at LE Trekker pants. They seem perfect for school, but I can't figure out if DS1 would be slim or regular. He's 80th% for height, and around 50th% for weight? Does that qualify for slim? Or should I get regular? This is funny for me, because he was always 90/90 as a baby and young toddler, and his tummy was so big, there was no way he would have fit a leg in slim!

HIU8
07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
DS wears a slim. What I have found (and this has held true for pants with adjustable waists also) is that slim normally means the waist is about 1.5 to 2" smaller than regular. This would also mean the pant legs are narrower. DS has been consistently 75% for height and somewhere in the 25-50% for weight. I figured out that DS was a slim b/c when I put "regulars" on him the waist is huge (even after I adjust it there is a ton of material that bunches up--way to much material) and the tush usually is baggy as are the pant legs. Now, in some pants DS does not wear a slim b/c the pants run narrow (ex: hanes sweatpants from Target).

I would suggest measuring your DS's waist and inseam and going to the size chart on the LE website. I think their waist for little boy slims is around 19 or 20 inches and for little boy regular is around 21.5-22 inches. FWIW, my DS measures a solid 19.5 inch waist so the 22 inch waist is way to big.

crl
07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I went to slims because regular size pants that were the correct length on ds fall off, literally. I buy slims with adjustable waists and still ratchet them in. He is usually 90 th percentile in height and 25 th in weight. If regular pants fit your ds from other stores, I think you would be fine with regulars from LE too.

Catherine

Kindra178
07-13-2011, 02:54 PM
He hasn't really worn a lot of real pants, mostly knit pants from HA or Gymboree. His fav pants are HA knit cargos. He gets holes in all his pants, so I like how the Trekker has the reinforced knee.

HIU8
07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Then I would suggest measuring his waist and comparing that to the LE sizing chart. At least that is a place to start from.

g-mama
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
If your ds needed to wear slims, you would already know it. My younger two boys wear slim pants and I really can't buy any that aren't (total pain).

Also, if your ds can wear elastic waist knit pants that don't have an adjustable waistband, then he is regular. I cannot put any of those kinds of pants on my younger boys or they would fall off of them.

crl
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
If your ds needed to wear slims, you would already know it. My younger two boys wear slim pants and I really can't buy any that aren't (total pain).

Also, if your ds can wear elastic waist knit pants that don't have an adjustable waistband, then he is regular. I cannot put any of those kinds of pants on my younger boys or they would fall off of them.

:yeahthat:

Catherine

mom2khj
07-13-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't know if this is true for all brands slim sizes, but in Justice the slims are the same size in terms of width as the next smaller size, and then have extra length. So a 6 slim is like a long 5.

AnnieW625
07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
For DD1 slim means that her panties won't be showing at the top of her jeans.

If you have a Sears near you I would just order both styles and then return the ones that don't fit.

hillview
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
FWIW DS1 would likely fit into a slim but DS2 would not so I get the regular so we get hand me downs. DS1 is boarder line so it makes most sense for us.

/hillary

DrSally
07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
DS always has a problem w/pants falling off, so we get slim when we can (or keep the adjustable waist all the way pulled in on reg pants. He's tall for his age, but has a slim build. I would just try on. You don't want him to outgrow the pants by waist before length, DS never has that problem, he always otgrows by length first.