PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Learning Tower...questions

lizzyruthie
07-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I am selling my learning tower, but having zero luck on craigslist. Has anyone ever sold theirs on ebay? I am concerned that the shipping will be outrageous and no one will want to bid on it! I would also have to break it down and take it to a shipping store to get a price on shipping it. All a lot of work. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

rin
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm surprised it's not selling on CL! I'd maybe try relisting it, or rewording the ad to link to some reviews, etc. Maybe people just don't know what it is? I find that in my area if I'm selling anything other than the brands available at our local Target or Sears, I have to provide lots of details & background info about the brand/product/etc.

To check what shipping would be, you can go to the USPS website and they have a calculator where you can enter the dimensions of the package & the weight. You could also try an ebay auction where you offer local pickup only, no shipping.

div_0305
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe the price? See what others are selling for in other areas if none are listed in your area. Set a fair price for CL, and then say "OBO". I think I sell stuff faster than others on CL for the same items because I post a fair bargain price. I recently sold my carseats within a day despite loads of other listings for the same seats, which had very unrealistic, high prices.

mjrwe
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM
your time is also worth something. ebay'ing it sounds like a hassle. Did you have any offers?

I like the ideas of linking to some positive reviews. Can I ask what your price point was?

DietCokeLover
07-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I think ebay would be a headache with a learning tower.

Do you have any consignment stores in your area that might give you a decent price on it?

lizzyruthie
07-14-2011, 01:27 PM
I listed it for $100, but I did not include a description or link. Good idea! I was thinking of the consignment store, but I don't want it to have to give them a %!!! I'm being greedy, but this baby is taking up space!

mjrwe
07-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I think $100 is about as high as I would consider paying for one - a previous post on this board says anything under $100 is a good deal so if I was searching for one I might max it out a at a bit lower to see if I could find a "deal."

Again, the time is money and the hassle of ebaying would make me considering lowing the price. Maybe $75-80 with reviews and a link and see if anyone would consider it. I bought mine for $50 at a garage sale and the person was just happy to pass it on and didn't even want to deal with the hassle of CLing it. I was not going to spend more than $80 for one.

Since you didn't get any CL interest it also makes me think you might have trouble finding a consignment store that will take it. My SIL often has trouble consigning some of her kids' higher end clothes b/c she lives in a small midwestern town and the local consignment stores won't take what they can't sell.

lizzyruthie
07-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Since you didn't get any CL interest it also makes me think you might have trouble finding a consignment store that will take it. My SIL often has trouble consigning some of her kids' higher end clothes b/c she lives in a small midwestern town and the local consignment stores won't take what they can't sell.

I think this is part of my problem. I live in a smaller area and I don't think people want to spend $ a kids stool! I get it, but it is a cool item!
I listed it in another larger city north of me, so hopefully we'll get some takers. I also did $100 obo. We shall see!!!

purple
07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
wow, this would have gone in minutes where I live. I paid $95 for mine on CL and considered myself lucky to have gotten it. I would definately add more description, or links to reviews. Also, I am more likely to buy pricey items from our local moms listserve than I am from CL, so if you have such a list I'd also try there.

waitingforgrace
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
I would probably lower the price a little to maybe $80 OBO and you'll just have to keep relisting it. For an item like that you have to find someone who is looking for it or something similar. We have one I bought used for $30, and although I like it, I would never pay $100 or more for it. I find it useful and have a spot in the kitchen to tuck it away, but I don't get the hype. You're going to have to "sell" it people, why would they want it? How was it useful to you? etc.

bubbaray
07-15-2011, 01:41 PM
We have a VERY active CL here but even nice things don't sell if you don't have photos of the actual item. Stock photos don't seem to work at all (I've tried), I always take photos of the actual item.

lizzyruthie
07-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Lowered it to $90 obo and not ONE email! I have had pics of it (not stock photos). I may have to resort to ebay...don't really want to go lower than $80.

dukie41181
07-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Lowered it to $90 obo and not ONE email! I have had pics of it (not stock photos). I may have to resort to ebay...don't really want to go lower than $80.

eBay wouldn't be worth the major hassle IMO. :(. Where are you located? If you were near me I might take it. :)

cntrymoon2
07-16-2011, 02:13 AM
There is a very small market for LTs on my local craigslist. I picked one up when I was visiting my parents in Miami from the So Fla craigslist- it was $50 and had been sitting at that price for almost a month. I think the LT love is a regional thing.

I will say that my $50 CL tower is in fair used condition- not very good, not excellent. I would not have paid more than $50 for it. It's also in the natural color, which I think tends to move slower.

lizzyruthie
07-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Mine is the natural color.

Where are you located? If you were near me I might take it.

I am in upstate NY, but I often travel to Rockaway, NJ to visit family.

Melaine
07-17-2011, 07:54 AM
How long has it been listed? I am a pretty consistent CL poster, but I find the some items just take patience and re-listing. If it were me, I would relist a few more times at $80....and I would add some photos from Little Partners website of kids on the LT. You maybe just haven't gotten enough exposure yet.