PDA

View Full Version : Uniform count for DS---does this sound right?

HIU8
07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Here is what I have:

2 pr khaki shorts
4 pr khaki pants
1 pr navy pants
3 navy short sleeve polos
2 white short sleeve polos
2 navy long sleeve polos
2 white long sleeve polos
1 navy turtleneck
1 white turtleneck
1 navy sweatshirt
10 pr white crew socks

DS won't wear sweaters or sweater vests (maybe after seeing what the other kids wear he will change his mind). 1 pr pants and 1 short and 1 long sleeve shirt will stay at school as a spare change of clothes. We get an indian summer here that goes until the end of September (maybe), so I only got 2 pr shorts. I figure that he will also wear pants to school in September. Oh, and I'm going to be getting 1 school sweatshirt (they can wear sweatshirts all year as long as there is at least a short sleeve polo under it (so technically he can wear all his shirts all year long).

Do I have enough? I do laundry daily as it is (dark clothes probably 2-3 times a week).

wimama
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Have you seen what the other boys wear to the school?

At DS school he has to wear Navy pant and shorts, but he has the option of white or light blue: short sleeve polos, long sleeve polos, tailored shirts, turtle necks. Navy and white sweaters and vests. And the school sweatshirt may be worn on any day, but they have special school spirit days where the kids are expected to wear their school t-shirts and sweatshirts.

This year my DS will be in K5 and it is the first year he will wear a uniform to school. At his school, the K4 kids don't wear uniforms. Here is what I noticed over the course of the last year. The boys wear navy bottoms, usually pants on all but the hottest days. And, as far as tops 90% or more of the time I see the boys in light blue short sleeve polos or light blue long sleeve polos. No turtle necks. No tailored shirts. No sweaters. The boys often wear their short sleeve polos with the school sweatshirts.

Here is my game plan:

6 pairs of Navy Pants (I scored them for $10 each on clearance at Lands End)
5 Light Blue short sleeve Polos
3 Light Blue long sleeve Polos
2 School Hoodies - (hopefully bought big enough to last two years)
Navy Socks - (I bought Gymboree Navy Grow with me socks when they had them in stock last year. We have white crew socks as well.)

I know I could get away with just the short sleeve polos. But my DS is usually a pretty hot boy who hates to wear sweaters and sweat shirts. I know if I send him to school in the school sweatshirt with the short sleeve polo underneath, he will be running around the school all day with short sleeves on. And, he probably will go out to recess with short sleeves on under his coat, even in cold winter freezing temps. So, I will get a couple long sleeve polos for him to wear most of the time during the winter. I like navy socks because, DS can turn a pair of white socks completely brown in one day at school by playing on the playground. I hate stains. I got a great deal on uniform pants this year, but they don't have reinforced knees so I may be buying a few more pair of pants during the year. DS is really tough on pants.

If you don't have a good idea on what the kids usually wear maybe call the school and talk to the school secretary and find out what the boys typically wear and start off with that. You can always add more as you go. And, my DS has a knack of getting grass and dirt stains in the knees of all the pants he wears to school, if I had a choice navy pants would hide grass stains a lot better than khaki.

HIU8
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
The colors are only navy and white. Their dress code is on their website. What I got from other moms (this is DS's first year at this school), is that the boys wear short sleeves under sweatshirts all winter. DS hates to layer, but I only have 4 long sleeve shirts b/c maybe he will layer if he sees other kids doing it.

I'm considering getting 1 more pr of navy shorts and another pr of navy pants along with 3 more long sleeve polos. I really won't know which he will prefer until we get into it.

wimama
07-15-2011, 12:51 PM
We are going out uniform shopping today. I want to have all DS's uniforms bought before August because I am due at the end of August/Early Sept and I want uniform shopping checked off my list.:wink2: Don't know where you are allowed to buy your uniforms, but Lands End has a decent deal on uniforms right now. Lands End has a $20 off $75 or more code with free shipping and 6% back from Ebates. And, their uniform polos are on sale for $12 each. I am hoping the Lands End Polos fit my DS well and I plan on ordering DS's polos this weekend. I may up his long sleeve polos to 4 now that I am thinking about it.

You would probably get more use out of shorts than we do here in Wisconsin. And extra pair of shorts seems like a good idea for you. I was just so amazed to see how much conformity there is at DS school even within the confines of the dress code. About 90% of the boys wear light blue polos, 10% or less wear white polos, with or without the school logo hoodie. I have never seen a boy in a tailored button up shirt, sweater, sweater vest or turtleneck. Evidently the boys at his school are not into variety.:ROTFLMAO:

AnnieW625
07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow, that seems like a lot esp. if you do laundry daily. I so far have only bought four polos, one sweatshirt, and three skorts. I might be getting some hand me downs too, but I don't know what I am getting yet. I might have to get some turtlenecks for her to wear under her polos and then have to get tights and socks.

SnuggleBuggles
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
That looks pretty good. And I still think Annie is going to need to buy more. :) 4 shirts is just killing me. I can't even imagine making do with 4!

Beth

HIU8
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I've got all of DS's uniform stuff (except the extra I'm going to buy). I got the shirts from LE and the pants from ON. If the ON pants don't hold up, I'll be switching to LE pants, but DS isn't really hard on his knees, so it's sort of my experiment year. The only thing I have to do is wash and hem his pants (school required pants be hemmed with no break in the pants (g-d I hope DS doens't have a huge growth spurt this fall b/c once I hem I cannot lengthen b/c of the nasty crease you get that doesn't go away when you hem pants and then take them down).

HIU8
07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
I've only got 4 short sleeved shirts and I am afraid DS might need at least one more (the 5th will be at school all year so it's not really in circulation--which is why I felt I needed a fifth in circulation at home). It all depends on how dirty DS is at the end of the day I guess. I'm hoping he isn't coming home with dirty stained clothes or I know I will need to buy more right away.

AnnieW625
07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
That looks pretty good. And I still think Annie is going to need to buy more. :) 4 shirts is just killing me. I can't even imagine making do with 4!

Beth

I am starting to think that too, but I am waiting to find out what is in the bag of hand me downs my boss is suppose to bring me (his daughter and youngest kid of 3 is going into the 2nd grade). Plus my boss said they usually have a hand me down sale in the first month of school so that could be helpful too.

HIU8
07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey, I wonder if my school does that.....

SnuggleBuggles
07-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Our school had a uniform exchange. Good thing to check! Don't forget the back up uniform they usually want you to send in in cases of accidents and such.

Beth

wimama
07-15-2011, 01:36 PM
If your little girl stays pretty neat during the day and you wash often enough you may be ok.

My DS is all boy, and definately not neat. I wash often, but figure I may have a few shirts out of circulation at any given time due to stains. And, DS may put holes in several pairs of pants by Christmas time.:wink2: 80% of his pants had holes in the knees last year by spring. I may pick up a couple spare shirts, pants, shorts at the church thrift shop. That is wear used uniforms are available. Our school doesn't have a used uniform sale.