PDA

View Full Version : who has nice girls socks and tights?

HIU8
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Used my gymbucks today and got DD 7 prs of socks (some clearance and some full-priced). She needs all new socks for this year. I want to get her others. Other than Gymbo and TCP, where do you like the selection of girls socks? DD has a WIDE foot and she hates socks that are not stretchy or big and she is not a fan of really thick socks. She wears a size 12 shoe.

Also, who has nice tights in purple, pink, brown and white? I did not like anything I saw at Gymbo today. Are the HA tights worth it? Who has the nicest microfiber tights also?

mecawa
07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I like HA's tights. I think they are worth the money ( and I'm not a huge HA person) They last. My DD1 wore them every single day in PreS and PreK and I never had a pair rip. The only problem I had with them was sizing. I didn't have a store near me back then so I was kind of guessing online. Once I figured that out though they were great. There warm as well and that's what we need around here. I've also had some good luck with Baby Gaps thick knit tights, but I haven't bought those in years, so I am not up on how the quality is now.

As for microfiber tights, we have used Gymbo (probably the most) and TCP. They seem to be the best ones, but my girls only wear those on special occasions, so I don't know how they would hold up on a regular or daily basis. My oldest has a thing for poking holes in microfiber tights with her fingers so I we seriously just use them for parties, Christmas, Easter, etc.

As for socks, I always liked Gymbos socks the best, they seem to hold up and I liked the grippys on the bottom for the little ones, like my DD2. My girls don't have wide feet, there feet are acutally narrow and small ( My DD1 wears a 12 1/2 and she's 7 1/2 yrs, DD2 wears a 5 at 2 1/2) so I'm not sure how they are with a child with a wide foot. The last time we bought socks I bought TCP for DD1 and didn't have good luck with them, they seemed to shrink a ton in wash, but it could have just been the style we bought. Hope this helps!

egoldber
07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I really like the Target Circo socks. They are thin and stretch. Both my girls wear them. They are the "bobby socks" style.

HIU8
07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Are the little girls socks better than the toddler socks? I don't really like the toddler socks at Target as they shrunk a lot and didn't hold their shape. DS wears hanes crew socks from Target and they are ok.

erosenst
07-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I generally like Gap for thinner socks. Nordstrom also has some nice ones, including 'no show' ones for gym shoes and nice ones to wear with dress shoes. They have a decent, not great, selection of tights.

Children's place actually has a nice selection of microfiber tights most years (starting in the fall). While not outstanding quality, they're generally very reasonably priced.

WatchingThemGrow
07-16-2011, 10:14 PM
We bought some H&M socks per recs on BBB, and while I liked the colors, the elastic threads came out of several during the year. They were stretchy, thin, cheap, and colorful, but annoying b/c you had to cut the threads. I may get a set for this year just because there were a bunch of colors and they were only like $3-5, but I'm not sure. We usually do HA or Gymbo to fill up our carts there/match clothes we've bought. TCP colors are a little much for my eyes oftentimes.

egoldber
07-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't really like the toddler socks at Target as they shrunk a lot and didn't hold their shape.

Really? Younger DD has been using some of those socks for several years now (my kids have tiny feet).

lovebebes
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
H&M tights are GREAT.

zag95
07-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I've bought HA tights and they are great-also have gotten microfiber tights at Nordy's for DD- I plan on getting some more there since they are having a sale right now.

For socks, I've done TCP (that's like the only thing I'll buy there!), gymbo and hanes (our local fred meyer) and Nike ankle socks..... (from the Nike EE store)

DD really loves TCP socks- that have the big cuff on them- she pulls them up to her knees and looks like the former NBA great, Michael Cooper!!

daniele_ut
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
We almost never use microfiber tights because they seem to rip so easily. DD has mostly cotton tights and we have a mix of Lands End, LL Bean and Children's Place. All of them have held up to many washings. Finding them at TCP is hit or miss, since they are a seasonal item. I just bought a pair at the LL Bean store for DD last week and I know they had purple. I also saw some cotton tights at H&M that were half the price of the ones that I bought at LL Bean. LLB were $12 a pair, which H&M were a 2 pack for that price. They only had off white at H&M, though.

cuca_
07-17-2011, 02:02 PM
We like Nordstrom's socks and H&M tights. I like Hanna tight, but don't find much difference between these and the H&M tights, and H&M is cheaper. I only buy Hanna when I want a particular patterned tight for a particular outfit, which is very rarely.

citymama
07-17-2011, 02:20 PM
I like TCP socks a lot and LOVE Hanna tights.

AnnieW625
07-17-2011, 02:48 PM
For tights I really like Hanna Andersson, we have had two pairs of ribbed knits, one pointelle, and one patterned. I have bought the patterned ones with a dress off of Ebay, and the other two when they have been on sale in the fall. One pair of tights got a hole in the crotch and I returned them for store credit, I usually don't do things like that at all, but she had worn the tights less than 5 times in 18 months and still measured in the correct size so I was a little bummed about it. No questions asked and I was happy to get a store credit.

For regular socks I really like Auro by Gold Toe (sold at Target), Kohls brand, and Circo. Hanes run really small. I don't recommend them, plus they don't have colors. If DD1 needs to get knee socks for school then I'll most likely buy them from Hanna Andersson because for $8 they aren't that much more than what the uniform store sells them for.

HIU8
07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, both my kids have wide feet and big also. DD at just 4 wears a solid size 12 xw or xxw.

jvs195
07-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Nordstrom are my favorites. They have a bunch on sale during their Anniversary Sale (through 31 July) When they aren't on sale it's usually TCP socks (Gymbo socks are too themey and just don't stretch enough) I buy microfiber tights at Nordstrom Rack or Lord & Taylor. I used to get them all from kidsurplus (Country Kids brand). We had some nice Boden tights, but as with the others the colors coordinate best with their clothing.

boolady
07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
We like the Gold Toe and Circo ones at Target.