PDA

View Full Version : Favorite nursing pillow?

Bens Momma
07-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I used a boppy (which I no longer have) with my other 2 DCs. At the time it was the most popular nursing pillow and while I liked it, I remember it getting a little saggy or having to use another pillow to prop it in certain positions. Now there are many other choices. Do you still favor the Boppy or is there a better one out there? Since I have to invest in a new one, I'd like to hear opinions on what's available as I've been "out of the newborn loop" for a few years!

TIA-
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!

Schmitty21
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM
I also used the Boppy more recently (DS is 11 months), but the other big rival out there while I was registerring is "My Breast Friend." no joke.

I registerred for the Boppy, but also got to try friends' My Breast Friend if I was at their homes, etc. I actually preferred that to the Boppy. MBF is a flat pillow, and also straps around your back - which you may find helpful. The Boppy being rounded has its disadvantages.

I guess the Boppy is still good for propping up DC, another place to put them down, etc. But as for nursing, I wished I had gone with the MBF, and will probably check out Craigslist when it comes time for DC2.

stinkyfeet
07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a Boppy any a My Breast Friend. I prefer the My breast friend pillow for nursing because it is has a flat surface for baby to rest and there is no gap between you and the pillow for baby to "fall".

waitingforgrace
07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a Boppy any a My Breast Friend. I prefer the My breast friend pillow for nursing because it is has a flat surface for baby to rest and there is no gap between you and the pillow for baby to "fall".

:yeahthat: another vote for MBF

BabyDahl
07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
I also vote for MBF. I like the contours on the top so it's not totally flat and the part that wraps around the back gives me a place to rest my elbow if she's nursing on the right. (kinda hard to explain, you have to test it out to see what I mean). I received it as a registry gift and also have an extra cover.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-15-2011, 11:09 PM
i have both and i like the MyBrestFriend way better. it has back support, and the Boppy does not. plus, the top of it is more level and it doesn't sag like the Boppy does.

also, i like how it straps to your body. the big, big plus of this that i did not realize until i had a second child--if an older child starts getting into trouble or needing help (e.g. climbing something they shouldn't be, or whining for a snack or whatever) while you are nursing the baby, you can actually get up and walk around with baby still nursing (one hand carefully supporting MBF/baby) and with the other hand attend to the older kid (pull kid off piece of furniture, get them a snack), and then go back to sitting down with baby. sounds crazy, with an active toddler boy, i've actually had to do this! hehe.

Bens Momma
07-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Great feedback! I'll definitely look into MBF! I remember laughing about the name with a friend a year or so ago when she had her baby. Is the back strap a pain to put on? Can it easily be done with baby in hand? I can see that it would add to support and keep it from sagging like the boppy, but can you use it without the strap (ie just fit it around your waist)? Anyone use the new pillow by Simplisse?

lalasmama
07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Great feedback! I'll definitely look into MBF! I remember laughing about the name with a friend a year or so ago when she had her baby. Is the back strap a pain to put on? Can it easily be done with baby in hand? I can see that it would add to support and keep it from sagging like the boppy, but can you use it without the strap (ie just fit it around your waist)? Anyone use the new pillow by Simplisse?

With the deluxe MBF, it can "clip" on (think like a chest clip on a backpack), and then velco off if you need to remove quickly/easily. I don't think it's a pain, but I only have used it to help with pumping while bringing in a milk supply for a (failed) adoption. FWIW, most of the lactation consults I work with recommend the MBF. Part of the great idea with the strap, as others have pointed out, is that there's no "crack" for the baby to roll to; if he strap wasn't used, I could see a crack developing.