PDA

View Full Version : Dear Boden, you shock and surprise me!!!

SammyeGail
07-17-2011, 04:15 PM
I fell down the stairs last monday, it was my Boden sandals that had slick bottoms. It was only the 2nd time I had worn them. I know it wasn't the stairs, it definitely was the sandals. 10 foot ceilings, 1/2 down the stairs, thankfully I only twisted my ankle.

I did call them and told the CS rep what happened. She said I could send them back for a full refund. Well, ok. Problem was that they are so darn pretty! 2 days later I call back to add something to an order, do mention the shoes again because my ankle was hurting a bit at the time. She said she wanted to forward the info to Quality Assurance and was it ok for them to cal me back.

Next day I get a call. I told him I wasn't going to sue or anything, lol, just wanted them to be aware of the slick soles problems. I told him I would look for something to put on the bottom to help traction, was a bit disappointed only to be offered a refund with return. We chatted a little, I told him to be honest, I would love a pair in silver :bag. I just didn't want the slippage problem. He said he would be glad to send me a pair, no charge! I was very happy about that :D.

I got an email notice they shipped, with a note that they gave me a $100 credit!! Wow! To bad we live in FL and I won't get to use it till next spring ;).

These are the sandals, they do fine on concrete, etc, but beware of hardwood and tile, lol.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Shoes-Boots/Sandals/AR461/Womens-Statement-Sandals.html?NavGroupID=11

They are super cute and its nice to have a pair that are flats. Now I need something to apply to the bottoms! I've only wore Born or Clarks.

Was I crazy to seriously ask for another pair, ROFL!! I sort of feel like it :bag

wellyes
07-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't get it. You think the shoes aren't safe to wear, so you got a second pair?

TwinFoxes
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
They do make little pads specifically for slick soles. You can buy them in the shoe section of Target, or sometimes where insoles etc are.

arivecchi
07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I do think it is a bit weird. I would not complain about something and then ask for a second pair unless I knew it was a defect with that particular item I received. They were so accommodating which is nice, but I would have just asked for a refund and returned the item.

g-mama
07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
I told him I wasn't going to sue or anything, lol, just wanted them to be aware of the slick soles problems. I told him I would look for something to put on the bottom to help traction, was a bit disappointed only to be offered a refund with return.

What did you expect them to offer you besides a refund of your money (and only if you mailed the shoes back to them)? Money for pain and suffering?

Also wondering, why would you want a second pair of the same shoes you believe caused your fall?

SammyeGail
07-17-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't get it. You think the shoes aren't safe to wear, so you got a second pair?

I am used to shoes with tread, we moved from the mountains where there could be slippery rocks anywhere. I think these made me more 'accident prone'.

Now living in FL, everyone wears sandals. I've never had a really nice pair, just basic. I cannot wear heels at all, its been 6.5 years. So I was pleased to find a pair of flats that were very attractive to me.

Also I had looked online for stick on shoe treads already. DH works at industrial plant in Health, Environmental, Safety, he can order me a pair that will be, well, industrial grade.

kwc
07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I have the Boden strappy gladiators and they have the same leather sole, and yes, they are SLICK.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Shoes-Boots/Sandals/AR458/Womens-Strappy-Gladiators.html

I fell once on my butt on the one the redtop at DD's school in front of a milion people, so it's not just on hardwood.

They are a total hazard but I LOVE THEM. I have flat feet and other feet issues and don't love most sandals, but these offer more coverage but are cute and airy with a zipper in the back for easy on/off. I am rarely a slave to fashion but I can't quit these shoes even though I know they are dangerous for me.
I rarely wear them indoors but think I will get some treads on the bottom after your story for a reminder.

VClute
07-17-2011, 08:25 PM
I think any shoe with a leather sole runs the risk of being slick.

I would never accept a second pair. That would feel like stealing to me.

It probably feels like stealing to you, too, thus the baggy and the confession here.

OTOH, it looks like they have plenty of silver ones left to give away.

DrSally
07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
That's amazing, but I personally wouldn't have asked for another pair if my complaint was that the shoes were unsafe. I would've been fine w/a full refund and a surprise credit would've been icing on the cake.

SammyeGail
07-17-2011, 08:43 PM
What did you expect them to offer you besides a refund of your money (and only if you mailed the shoes back to them)? Money for pain and suffering?

Money for pain and suffering??? Where did you get that from?

I just didn't want someone having a fall being blown off like the first CS rep. did. I didn't intend to mention it when I called back a few days later, it just came up while I was on the phone with them.

The QA that called was very apologetic, they are going to check on the manufacturing of them. I didn't want or need a big apology, just wanted it acknowledged, for 'quality assurance'. Hopefully they will work on something for sandals next summer. I didn't ask for anything, he kept asking if they could do anything for me, insisting. I said I loved the sandals, it may sound bizarre, but I would love a pair in silver. I had meant to return the gold for silver, the silver was OOS everytime I checked. I had already looked into stick-on treads, they would do the trick.

I have the Boden strappy gladiators and they have the same leather sole, and yes, they are SLICK.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Shoes-Boots/Sandals/AR458/Womens-Strappy-Gladiators.html

I fell once on my butt on the one the redtop at DD's school in front of a milion people, so it's not just on hardwood.

They are a total hazard but I LOVE THEM. I have flat feet and other feet issues and don't love most sandals, but these offer more coverage but are cute and airy with a zipper in the back for easy on/off. I am rarely a slave to fashion but I can't quit these shoes even though I know they are dangerous for me.
I rarely wear them indoors but think I will get some treads on the bottom after your story for a reminder.

I don't feel so alone now, or that some people think I'm crazy. I am so sorry you slipped, that stinks! Maybe I should let the QA person know another person slipped, not to drag you into it, so that hopefully next years are better.

Those are gorgeous! I looked at them before, thought the back zipper might make them fit my feet odd. I was shocked at how comfy mine are, I have high arches.

Again, so sorry it happened to you, but at least someone knows where I am coming from, being in love with a pair of shoes, but they aren't good for you ;). At least stick-on treads can salvage the relationship, lol.

"It is better to look good than to feel good", I'd rather feel good, and when I try to look good not end up on my butt!

g-mama
07-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Money for pain and suffering??? Where did you get that from?

I didn't understand what you meant by "I was disappointed to only be offered a refund with return." What else would a company offer beyond a refund of your money if you're not satisfied with the product? I was trying to speculate what you had in mind.

wellyes
07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I didn't understand what you meant by "I was disappointed to only be offered a refund with return." What else would a company offer beyond a refund of your money if you're not satisfied with the product? I was trying to speculate what you had in mind.

Sorry but I have to agree with this..how is being offered a full refund 'being blown off'?

smiles33
07-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Not to pile on, but I also agree that Boden went above and beyond all expectations. A full refund for the shoes was a very reasonable and fair solution. Getting a second pair of the "defective" shoes really doesn't make sense to me as a solution. I understand the CSR was eager to make you happy, but it still seems a bit like implicit extortion (not that you intended it that way, just that hinting you'd love the shoes in silver led to the next step). It makes me think of a politician who hints at a nice vacation to get away, only to receive a free vacation to the Caribbean by the lobbyist a few days later. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't think of any other way to say it diplomatically.

SammyeGail
07-18-2011, 01:46 AM
I think any shoe with a leather sole runs the risk of being slick.

I would never accept a second pair. That would feel like stealing to me.

It probably feels like stealing to you, too, thus the baggy and the confession here.

OTOH, it looks like they have plenty of silver ones left to give away.

Thanks for the personal insight, I'm glad you know me so well. As for the baggy, I honestly use it because I have low self-esteem. I many times feel like I don't deserve anything nice. No pity party for myself bringing it up, just something I will get over some day. That is a confession. I did not put out any confession posting this, I was bored and wanted to rave that Boden had concern about someone getting seriously injured. Yes, it was above and beyond getting a credit, I had no desire for that.

Sorry but I have to agree with this..how is being offered a full refund 'being blown off'?

The being blown off was not about the refund, it was about the incident. Maybe if they offered a $5-10 credit for me to buy some new treads. As for the fall, what if DS had walking in front of me down the stairs? I would have hit him bring him down with me. What about other women going out in the sandals not knowing to be careful and getting seriously hurt? BTW, I did get a pair of ballet shoes last year at the sale, they look the same on the bottom but I never had any incidents with them, well, only that the insoles became unglued after 5-6 wears. Thats life, Get them repaired at a shoe-shop. Another person potentially getting hurt, that to me is different.

Extortion? Seriously? Extortion is a criminal offense, that was a strong word choice. You said 'not to pile on', but jeez, you did! Its all good, I know what extortion is, I had a laugh reading Wikipedia's definition. Maybe I'm part of an organized crime group, I enjoy threatening people to get things. I loved the part where it said you could go into a bank, give a teller a note demanding money and saying you have a weapon. Yup, organized crime and bank robbery are a part of my everyday life, ROFL!

QA kept offering me something from the sale, anything I was eyeing? well, the pickings were thin. I was doing laundry when they called. I explained the reason it was the 2nd I had worn them from the purchase date, because it was my intention to exchange them for silver. He asked if I wanted them, I said that was very nice, but not necessary. The 3rd offer, yeah, I agreed. That was the 'we chatted a bit'. Also that I was not angry or upset about the fall, thankful it was better by the next day. I made a little joke about frivolous lawsuits, that is where the 'I wasn't going to sue' came from. Like they said, the only way they know there is a problem is if someone tells them.

Well, I agree that I used some wrong choices for wording and the smilies were not seen in the way I intended, my mistake. I wish I had just stayed off-line today. I had 3 hours of sleep and am just not thinking clearly. Now I have insomnia. Fun.

MissyAg94
07-18-2011, 10:46 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. Enjoy your shoes and your credit!

lowrioh
07-18-2011, 10:59 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. Enjoy your shoes and your credit!

:yeahthat:

And good for Boden for going above and beyond!

If it makes you feel better, I slipped and fell down a slope in our front yard after stepping a piece of sidewalk chalk. Luckily I was embarrassed more than injured.

citymama
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Yikes guys, talk about piling on! Some of the comments are way too harsh.

Excellent c/s from Boden. Really above and beyond.

If the shoes are likely to make you slip and hurt yourself, I would return them or resole them. No matter how pretty they are, that's not something you want or can afford to have happen. On Boden's part, I get the $100 credit (very generous) but I don't get why they would offer or agree to send another pair of sandals. Were they intended as replacements for the first potentially defective pair? Ethically, I think you're bound to accept one or the other - either the refund/credit or the replacement - but not all three. You should send back the shoes IMO, at least the first slippery pair. With a note about how they can improve the design in the future. Good luck!

Nicsmom
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Yikes guys, talk about piling on!

Excellent c/s from Boden. Really above and beyond.

I think the OP wanted to rave about Boden's customer service, not confess to doing something wrong.
And I don't think she did anything wrong. I can see how someone can make a comment about a defect of a product but still like that product - with a minor alteration. And I can also see how a CSR would like to make it up to a person who not only had an injury using one of their products, but NICELY suggested to fix it without demanding anything. She did not call them to ask for an extra pair. That was not her intention. Stealing, extortion, confession, wow those are pretty harsh words.

smiles33
07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I am sorry, OP. My post was not intended to make you more upset. I should not have even mentioned implicit extortion. I edited it once to add implicit, edited it again to indicate I understood you didn't intend it, but I should have just deleted my observation.

citymama's post expresses perfectly what I feel but failed to convey.