PDA

View Full Version : Nursing bras for smaller girls...

bisous
07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
I've never seen a post like this! I nursed both DSs for at least 15 months and for the first 6 months exclusively but I never really had engorgement and I really didn't get THAT much bigger than usual! My friends all think I have weird boobs but whatever.

So, normally I'm a barely 34C and when I'm nursing I'm a full 36C. TBH for both kids I've pretty much used two REALLY cheap nursing bras from Motherhood maternity. And they are THRASHED. I still have them but they are almost brown (where's that bag overhead smiley??) and I'd like some new ones. But I can't find anything similar to what I had! I had a few other styles that honestly caused the only plugged ducts that I had during the whole time I nursed.

The bras I like have little clips at the top of the cup and they are some thin, synthetic material (no idea what--the tags are thrashed). They have "shape" but no underwire and are extremely soft and flexible.

Any recommendations? I hope I'm not stuck with brown nursing bras, lol!

TIA!

ellies mom
07-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Bravado has a variety of different styles of bras and nursing camisoles. I really liked the microfiber bra.

ourbabygirl
07-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I've got smaller 'girls,' too :tongue5: (normally about a 34B; when nursing I'm about a 34 or 36C)... I only have a few months left of nursing, but wanted to get a new bra, too, because I only had one that still fit (the other ones were way too big from when I was majorly engorged with my first baby)... Anyhow, most of what I found out in the stores (like Target, which is easiest for me to get to), have underwire and cause plugged ducts for me if I wear them overnight... so I bought one of the only non-underwire ones I could find, from Macy's, last weekend. It was about $19 and just a basic nude color, but it'll do.

bisous
07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Ooh. Microfiber sounds good. The other bras might be microfiber...

I can't do underwire. Clogged ducts galore. Can anyone REALLY nurse with those things?

ellies mom
07-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Ooh. Microfiber sounds good. The other bras might be microfiber...

I can't do underwire. Clogged ducts galore. Can anyone REALLY nurse with those things?

The microfiber is like an underwire bra without the underwire.

With my oldest, I did have a few underwire nursing bras toward the end of our nursing period. I didn't have any problems with them but clearly had a well established supply and what not. I didn't buy any with the youngest because I liked the microfiber one so much.

happymom
07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I was happy with the Gilligan O'Malley brand from Target. Have you ever checked them out? I wore the underwire bras (I was a DD when nursing, so I needed it!) but I know they have bras without wire too. At nighttime, I wore their nursing tanks with nursing pads stuck in. LOOOVE those nursing tanks. I still wear them to sleep at night, even though I haven't nursed in over a year! I have about 6 of them.

bisous
07-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Okay, I just looked on the bravado website. Which ones are microfiber?? The "Bliss"? I think I'm going to see if I can find these in person...

TxCat
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I was small too - nonpregnant 32A, when nursing 32C or 34C - I can't remember. Anyways, one of my bras, my favorite one, was a splurge - Elle Macpherson. It was wonderful!! Super comfy, soft cotton, the front snapped open, and it was even attractive - it looked "sexy", which was a nice help when I was feeling anything but! It was pricey, but it was so worth it for the amount of time I used it! My other one (the "cheapy) was Majamas - it was more like a sports bra and I could wear that thing 24 hours a day, it was so comfy. I would even sleep in it (actually, I slept in the Elle Macpherson one too).

ahrimie
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
The bravado bodysilk is microfiber and THE best. It comes with really thin cups too. I actually take the cups out and use with all of my other bras and tanks so that there is no nipple shape showing.

citymama
07-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Nursing bras: Japanese weekend was great. Super comfy and high quality. Bravado was OK but not so comfortable IME.

Nursing tanks: Gilligan and O'Malley for everyday use under clothes. Glamormom for use under clothes and also as a visible cami. Incredible quality. I would recommend erring on the side of the larger size when ordering - I'm usually an XS/S in tops and with my first baby the GM sz S worked fine, but with the second, I bought Ms and they're a little big, but fine; the smalls are too small.

AnnieW625
07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
My favorite true nursing bra with both girls was a basic underwire one from Liz Lange, now sold as Gilligan O'Malley at Target. I was a 38C while nursing. My Bravado nursing bra was also nice.

With DD2 I actually really loved wearing Wacoal bralettes as nursing bras. Very simple and easy to use, and very comfortable to sleep in. I got the 38 size and they fit fine.

I tried a couple of different brands of nursing tanks (Gilligan, Japanese Weekend, and Baby Style) and I never found one that really worked for me. I don't like shelf bras either in my tank tops so that probably had a lot to to do with it.

WolfpackMom
07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Nonpregnant Im a whole 34A, nursing I ended up rounding out at like 36B (C briefly which.was.awesome). I actually really like the regular Barely There bras that are at Target and Kohls. They arent nursing bras but the straps snap off at the cup and are easy to snap back on. No underwire, but still give you shape, and they are comfy.

Tanya
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I used Bravado ones at first and I've had a Motherhood one or two. Now, I'm lazier and it's hottttttt. I like simple Elita Crossover bras. They aren't nursing bras, but are like a sports bra, but they don't make me look flat-chested or whatever. They are supportive enough. I find them much simpler to use. I have twins (mostly just nurse one of them, but my hands are still full juggling two babies) and I can uncover/cover much easier and faster one handed with these bras than trying to mess with the hook.
Plus, they are cheap and I bought several so that I can throw them in the wash whenever...especially since it's so hot.

I breastfed each of my first two babies for two years. Then I went back to underwire bras. This time around (my twins are now 8.5 months old), I have only used some nursing bras if my crossover ones don't work with a shirt/outfit.

jerigirl
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
The Bravado line at Target is nice too. I think it is called Basics by Bravado.