PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling conflicted about a baby shower...

bisous
07-17-2011, 08:43 PM
For my 3rd boy. My friends are hounding me for information about a shower. They WANT to throw one for me and FWIW it is TOTALLY typical for my area/friends. I personally love attending showers and don't care whether it is the 1st or 5th kid (just attended one of those, lol!) but I'm feeling so shy about accepting this gesture from my friends. I think it is nice and sweet but I don't know what to say!

Any tips on what to say?

amldaley
07-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Graciously accept but ask them for a sprinkling instead of a shower? Let them know you have most everything you need, but you would still love to get together for some party games and good times.

If you REALLY don't want gifts, ask them to donate to a charity.

nrp
07-17-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know where you are, but in my area (Houston), it is very common to have "sip 'n' see" type events for subsequent babies, usually held a few weeks after the baby is born. That way, friends get to see the baby and there isn't the same expectation of gift giving (if that is the part that is making you uncomfortable). Inevitably a few people will bring gifts, but usually it is just a new baby gift that they hadn't gotten around to delivering yet.

bisous
07-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, these are really good ideas. Generally, these subsequent showers really are just a way for us girls to get together. We typically buy something (always less than $20 and usually clothes) so it isn't a huge deal. I'd almost feel more tyrannical if I were to specify stuff for a charity (since that would probably be a bigger monetary amount!)

I suppose I could agree to the shower and just tell them to stress that I have EVERYTHING that I need! Maybe then people wouldn't feel obligated to bring anything but they'd still come (for food and games!) I think I would actually really like that!

Thanks for the thoughts! I just feel uncomfortable being ASKED about it. If they forgot about it I don't think I would mind either. I'm just a little shy...

hellokitty
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Do it, it will still be fun and it will be nice to have a memory that your 3rd one was officially celebrated with a baby shower. Where I live, most ppl do a dipes and wipes type of shower for subsequent pregnancies, esp if you already have items that you need. If they specifically ask what you need/like I would just casually mention dipes and wipes, if that is really what you need, since it sounds like you are ok in the gear and clothing dept.

ZeeBaby
07-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I second the sprinkle idea! No nEed to register or deal with all that jazz. Just something for you and your friends. Your friends will be happy about it

edurnemk
07-17-2011, 09:41 PM
I've attended a few showers for 2nd, 3rd, and subsequent children where instead of gifts they ask for diapers.

drwg21
07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
For my 3rd boy. My friends are hounding me for information about a shower. They WANT to throw one for me and FWIW it is TOTALLY typical for my area/friends. I personally love attending showers and don't care whether it is the 1st or 5th kid (just attended one of those, lol!) but I'm feeling so shy about accepting this gesture from my friends. I think it is nice and sweet but I don't know what to say!

Any tips on what to say?

OMG - I have the SAME exact problem! My boss at work insisted - I told her to tell people "no gifts" but she worded it to say this instead: "says she has not registered this time and recommends that we keep gifts simple, simple.
She says diapers are always appreciated and the camaraderie even more-so!"

Anyways, people still went overboard....I had a few girlfriends who offered to do a "girls night" instead and we went and got pedicures and had dinner...maybe you can just see if they'd like to do that instead?

llama8
07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
We don't have showers past the first kid by me...never heard of someone doing that.

If they insist, how about asking for diapers, wipes, baby toiletries instead of actual gifts.

lowrioh
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree with the sprinkle idea. With DD2 my girl friends all took me to a champagne brunch at a nicer restaurant in DC. Very low key and small gifts. I got some Trumpette socks, really cute books, a mani pedi gift certificate, a massage gift certificate etc. .
It was perfect!

AnnieW625
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I am from an area where no one does second showers unless kids are more than say 3 to 5 yrs. apart or a mom happens to move to a new area and is pregnant. When I moved to So Cal, had DD1, then made mommy friends I got invited to six showers for second children, and only two of those were for twins. All of those moms knew the sex of the baby except one. All but one the kids were less than 3 yrs. apart. No one offered to throw me a shower for DD2 (but we didn't know the sex) and I was upset about it because I thought it was the norm, however I never once said anything. Even a brunch would've been nice, but no one thought to do that too. Moral of the story is go with it, and have fun. These types of things don't happen all of the time and it's just a good sign that you have some wonderful friends!:)

carolinamama
07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Some friends hosted a shower for baby number 3. At first, I felt really funny and I am the type that doesn't like to be the center of attention anyway. But they had fun doing it and the gifts I got were great. Lots of clothes and little fun things to celebrate our new baby. It was also a good excuse for us to get together.

Have fun and think of it as a celebration of your baby!

eh613c
07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Graciously accept but ask them for a sprinkling instead of a shower? Let them know you have most everything you need, but you would still love to get together for some party games and good times.

If you REALLY don't want gifts, ask them to donate to a charity.

:yeahthat:

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
My friends knew I didn't need anything but they all pitched in some money so I could buy a nice new diaper bag. They didn't spend much and the point of the sprinkle was then on socializing vs opening gifts. It was really nice. I don't know how you could ask for that but maybe hint.

Beth

Melanie
07-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I second the sprinkle idea! No nEed to register or deal with all that jazz. Just something for you and your friends. Your friends will be happy about it

ITA! A tea party, or a luncheon. I think every baby deserves a celebration, it doesn't have to be about 'stuff' for the baby. I saw one on TV once where everyone brought food to freeze for after the baby is born. I thought that was ingenius!

Bens Momma
07-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I do think it's nice to "celebrate" every baby whether it's your first or fifth! I get feeling uncomfortable about the gift part, but it sounds like you have a great group of friends that want to do something for you. I love the idea of a casserole party ie everyone brings a dish that you can freeze and use at your leisure after the baby is born. Having prepared meals is worth it's weight in gold especially if you have a newborn and other kids' needs to balance!

Good luck and enjoy whatever celebration they give you!
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and the third musketeer arriving in early Fall!