PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for kids bug spray/lotion

BabbyO
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
DS is 2. He's getting mosquito bites...BAD ones. We actually to him to urgent care last weekend because he had one swell to about 3" in diameter. He was tested for Lyme disease and given an all clear. We thought it (the size) was a fluke...but he got another one this weekend.

I've always used Off skintastic because it is the only thing that works for me. I'd been using Off botanicals for DS and it seemed to be working before...but now I'm thinking we need to switch to something else.

Anyone have suggestions?

TxCat
07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
We have awful mosquitoes here and I've been using California Baby for DD and myself and have been happy with it so far - no bites at all. Unless I forget to use it. :rolleyes:

newg
07-18-2011, 02:08 PM
DD1 has horrible reactions to bug bites!! She had eight on her legs a few weeks ago and her calves were swollen for days.
I have California Bug spray, but its almost out and I just can't pay that much again....so I just bought All Terrain Herbal Armour Kids for DD1. It has been working really well for both of us. It was on sale at Whole Foods for $5 a few weeks ago and I think full price it's $7.
I also picked up one of those mosquitoe bracelets at whole foods.......all natural.....I wrap it around her ankle.

She's only had one bite since I started with the spray and ankle bracelet......and it was because I forgot to put anything on her!

ECUPirateMom
07-18-2011, 02:21 PM
We use the Purple Prairie bug spray (and sunscreen too) and LOVE it!! It actually doesn't smell horrible and does a good job of keeping mosquitoes away! It's kinda pricey but its 100% natural, chemical free, etc.
I purchased them from: http://www.goodthingsgreenthings.com/
HTH!!
Aimee

sophiesmom03
07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
We were using the one from Three Sisters Farm, which works but stains clothing. Just recently got one from Loving Naturals and that seems to do the trick without staining.

I too took one DC to the pediatrician over a swollen bite this year. The ped said he has no proof but anecdotally a multivitamin, or simply increasing food-based B vitamins, can help for some people. I don't know but it's worth a try?