PDA

View Full Version : Random poll: asparagus

twowhat?
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
So I missed my 3000th post. This poll is in honor of that:)

DD2 decided she wanted to try asparagus this weekend. She decided she liked it and ate a lot of it.

Since this happens to some people and not others, I was curious: What happens when you eat asparagus?

Poll coming!

Melaine
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I know what you are talking about, but none of us seem affected by it. Or maybe I just haven't noticed. DD1 has mentioned that asparagus is her favorite food, and we do eat it fairly frequently.

wellyes
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, but so so so worth it. Yum!

egoldber
07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I think it is interesting because some people have the issue (:waving4:) but I also read somewhere that being able to smell it is also a genetic trait.

elektra
07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I think it is interesting because some people have the issue (:waving4:) but I also read somewhere that being able to smell it is also a genetic trait.

Yes, I had heard that too. Something like it actually happens to everyone but only some of us (how fortunate for us!) have the ability to smell it.

babyonway
07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
It doesn't have that effect on me, but I don't eat it all that often cause I am not a huge fan, so maybe it would if I ate more of it more often :)

egoldber
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Something like it actually happens to everyone but only some of us (how fortunate for us!) have the ability to smell it.

I dunno. I don't think it happens to DH and I can definitely smell me. :rotflmao:

And I can eat even one stalk and it happens very strongly.

twowhat?
07-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I dunno. I don't think it happens to DH and I can definitely smell me. :rotflmao:

And I can eat even one stalk and it happens very strongly.

Hmmm...this is becoming quite a bit more interesting than I originally thought. So my question is - are the people who are not affected the same ones who cannot smell it?

Can your DH smell it?

LOL.

egoldber
07-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Huh. That is interesting. He says he cannot smell it.

ETA: Obviously we have talked about this in detail. :p

elektra
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
So my question is - are the people who are not affected the same ones who cannot smell it?

Can your DH smell it?

LOL.

Ooh, good question! I guess it could be both- that some people can't smell and some people don't have the effect. I wonder why???

Canna
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I can smell it, but it smells just different to me, not yucky.

FWIW, I think my pee smells funny too if I eat too many Cheerios. :D

LMPC
07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Total pee-ew but I love to eat asparagus. And so does DD, who will tell you while she is eating it "Ooooh, my wee wee is gonna be stinnnkkkyyyy!!!"

sewarsh
07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Huh. That is interesting. He says he cannot smell it.

ETA: Obviously we have talked about this in detail. :p

okay Beth... you have homework!
I read the same thing...genetic trait but i wasn't sure if it was to be "able" to smell it or to have your pee smell like it in the first place.

I think you need to make asparagus and when DH pees, see if you can smell it! I'm so curious now!

BabbyO
07-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Never noticed it...on me...or anyone else (and my family sorta has an open door policy when it comes to the bathroom - a side effect of having only 1 bathroom for a long time). Not sure if it just doesn't happen to me, or if I just can't smell it.

Clarity
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
It happens to the houseful of us but my bigger question is why? I don't think anything else makes my/our urine smell strongly like that. Why asparagus? I should go google......but only if someone can't tell me here!

Moneypenny
07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
I am not affected, but I can smell it when others are (like DH).

soon2b4
07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
It happens to both of us... the Cheerios thing, too, for me.:loveeyes:

mrshalco
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
This post is so funny to me! A group of us were camping this weekend and this very topic came up! FWIW - out of the 7 of us talking....6 of us were a Yes!!! :ROTFLMAO:

Corie
07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I can totally smell DH. And I have a horrible sense of smell.

R2sweetboys
07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
OMG, thank you for posting this! I recently discovered a new-found love for asparagus. I had no idea that it had that effect but I do believe it happens to me. I ate some last night and noticed something, well, different. :bag I was wondering what was up!!

trentsmom
07-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Another yes here. And the worst thing is when I've eaten it, forgotten I've eaten it, and then go to the bathroom. Surprise! Coffee affects me, too. I really notice it since I rarely drink coffee.

Corie
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Found this little bit of information on the Discovery Channel
web page.
http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/skinny-on/asparagus.html

Now if you're scowling at your screen and muttering, "My pee doesn't smell like asparagus," first ask yourself if you eat asparagus.

Even if you do but lack the smell, you're still OK. In fact the fabulously funny book, The Research Guide to Body Fluids (by Paul Spinrad, Juno Books, N.Y., 1994), says just 22 percent of survey respondents experience asparagus pee.

Early investigators thought genetics had divided the world into stinkers and non-stinkers. That was until 1980, when three researchers had the presence of mind to wave pee from the non-stinkers under the noses of the stinkers.

Lo and behold, the problem proved to be one not of producing the stinky pee but of being able to sniff it out.

ncat
07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
This is how we got DD to try asparagus - we told her that she only needed to eat a little bit and her pee would smell funny. Her curiosity compelled her to try it, and she decided that she liked it (the asparagus, not the smelly pee).

wimama
07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
This is how we got DD to try asparagus - we told her that she only needed to eat a little bit and her pee would smell funny. Her curiosity compelled her to try it, and she decided that she liked it (the asparagus, not the smelly pee).

:yeahthat: That is a selling point we used on DS to get him to eat it, when he was anti-asparagus for a while. DH, DS and myself all eat it, and yes get stinky pee.

AbbysMom
07-18-2011, 09:02 PM
I have had to wake my kids up in the middle of the night to change diapers that have been peed in after we ate asparagus. Terrible!!!!!!!! But we all love it so I'm glad everyone is potty trained now :)

LexyLou
07-18-2011, 11:58 PM
So stinky, but I don't care. I love asparagus.

On a note for the people who say it has no effect on their pee, are you sure????

My DH swore it didn't effect his pee, then I happened to be in the bathroom once when he peed after and I was seriously like, "Have you lost your sense of smell, because your pee stinks!":rotflmao:

So maybe, you just don't realize it stinks?

LexyLou
07-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Found this little bit of information on the Discovery Channel
web page.
http://dsc.discovery.com/guides/skinny-on/asparagus.html

Now if you're scowling at your screen and muttering, "My pee doesn't smell like asparagus," first ask yourself if you eat asparagus.

Even if you do but lack the smell, you're still OK. In fact the fabulously funny book, The Research Guide to Body Fluids (by Paul Spinrad, Juno Books, N.Y., 1994), says just 22 percent of survey respondents experience asparagus pee.

Early investigators thought genetics had divided the world into stinkers and non-stinkers. That was until 1980, when three researchers had the presence of mind to wave pee from the non-stinkers under the noses of the stinkers.

Lo and behold, the problem proved to be one not of producing the stinky pee but of being able to sniff it out.

Just saw this! HA! My point exactly with DH! hehe

nrp
07-19-2011, 12:05 AM
DH and I both get stinky pee. I wouldn't know about the kids because that would actually entail convincing them to eat something green.

BabyDahl
07-19-2011, 01:00 AM
FWIW, I think my pee smells funny too if I eat too many Cheerios. :D

ME, TOO! I knew I wasn't crazy :boogie:
(okay, maybe a little...)

fattytuna
07-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I either can't smell it or just never paid attention.

DH can. He also says it's because he pees standing up so it's right there in front of him and it rises in the air, and that I pee sitting down and I'm not sticking my head into the toilet trying to sniff it.

RunnerDuck
07-19-2011, 08:41 AM
we have a friend who claims it doesn't happen to him but have never tried to smell his pee to verify if it's his nose or his digestion. LOL

It seems to affect everyone in our house. Even in the kid's diapers I can smell it.

What I want to know is does it make my breastmilk taste funny, too??? :rotflmao: I am not sure exactly where in digestion the change takes place...

If your pee smells funny after cheerios I wonder if it's the vitamins they add to them? Vitamins make your pee smell weird. Actually vitamins make everything smell weird. I went camping once with a group from college and this guy in my tent had been trying some experiment where if you take high doses of b vites mosquitoes will leave you alone... well my tent was like sleeping in a geritol bottle, but the mosquitoes didn't mind in the least.

egoldber
07-19-2011, 08:42 AM
What I want to know is does it make my breastmilk taste funny, too???

OMG I just flashed on pumping for younger DD when she was in the NICU and noticing that it did indeed make my breastmilk smell!

Toba
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Yummmmm. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. I definitely smell it several hours after eating it, even if I only eat a little. But I love it so much, I could eat the whole bundle. I have no idea if DH can smell it ... been married almost 16 years and have never had that conversation with him.

Our local Ruby Tuesday's cooks a pretty good sirloin. They have recently added grilled asparagus to their side menu. Mmmmm ... sirloin, grilled asparagus and cheddar mashed potatoes ... heaven.

Funny story .... my mom and dad love asparagus too. They'd prepare it on toast with a cream sauce, but they always used canned asparagus (ew). Even if they got fresh asparagus, they cooked it to death. I didn't know it was supposed to be al dente until I moved out! The first time I cooked it for my parents, they actually told me that it was almost raw ..... no, mom and dad ... that's they way it's supposed to taste!! After three daughters cooking it for them through the years, they finally get it. LOL

twowhat?
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
You guys, this thread has been more than amusing for me. Thanks!! And - for those who voted "What on earth are you talking about", hope you enjoyed the random trivia of the day:)

I had no idea some people can smell it and some can't so I learned something too!!