PDA

View Full Version : DD is becoming addicted to junk food... HELP!

ourbabygirl
07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
DD (2.75) is really into sugary junk foods lately, and I don't know how to distract her off of them. I think a few recent events have contributed to it: a goody bag from a bday party, treats for potty training (which we've put on hold for now), a trip to an ice cream shop with her grandparents, and dessert for our friends & their girls coming over for dinner. So now all she talks about is fruit snacks, Teddy Grahams, Quaker chewy bars, frozen fruit bars, ice cream, etc., and she throws tantrums if she doesn't get them (and says she wants them at breakfast and lunch time, etc.). The first thing she said recently after getting up from her nap was "frozen fruit bar?"

So how do I undo the monster I've created? :shake:

Thanks for your help!

ETA: added snack details :-)

Cuckoomamma
07-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Just remove them from your house. We don't keep anything in the house that we don't want them to eat.

Green_Tea
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Just remove them from your house. We don't keep anything in the house that we don't want them to eat.

:yeahthat:

If you've already done that, I wouldn't worry and would just ignore the tantrums, which are pretty age appropriate. Talking about wanting junk is a far cry from eating it all day every day!

boolady
07-18-2011, 04:26 PM

If you've already done that, I wouldn't worry and would just ignore the tantrums, which are pretty age appropriate. Talking about wanting junk is a far cry from eating it all day every day!

DD definitely went through a phase around July Fourth that, due to the holiday, two school birthday parties, a few special treats on trips, etc., led to her asking for candy or sweets. We just don't keep them in the house, so eventually, she realized it's going nowhere and stopped asking.

brittone2
07-18-2011, 04:29 PM

:yeahthat: I'd rather keep most of the stuff we don't want them eating out of the house. For us it eliminates the power struggle. It doesn't mean they never get it, but we avoid bringing in stuff we don't want them to eat regularly. When we do serve a dessert, we serve a small portion right along w/ the meal many times (makes it not so much a "treat" or "reward"). I also don't really like using the term "treat" although DH sometimes does. I feel it loads those foods with extra value, kwim?

My kids like things like homemade popsicles (had some today that were just banana, frozen strawberries, a touch of NuNaturals stevia, and unsweetened almond milk).

boolady
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
The other thing I did that really helped curb DD's asking for sweets was make sure we had plenty of her very favorite healthy things...she loves the little carrots we get from our CSA, so I made sure to take plenty and keep them cleaned and ready for her to grab from the fridge when she wants. She's also been waiting for peaches, so I've been keeping lots of Jersey peaches on hand. I can redirect her to some of her healthier favorites pretty quickly if we've got them in the house.

infocrazy
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
all she talks about is Teddy Grahams, granola bars, frozen fruit bars, ice cream, etc.,

It'll pass if you keep saying no and offer other stuff, but really in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't exactly call those junk food...at least it isn't soda, cheetos, and candy bars!

blondflava
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I wish my DD would eat frozen fruit bars and teddy grahams, gosh, even ice-cream! But she hates all food. Can we switch for a day? ;)

wellyes
07-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Do not allow her to eat them anymore at all. BTDT and trust me, it just gets worse until you nip it in the bud (or, I guess, give up entirely).

LMPC
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but.....at our house we talk in terms of food, snacks, and treats. We talk about how foods are things that make us big and strong...and that snacks are like that too but like little meals. And that treats are things that might taste good and are fun to eat but that we can't eat all the time because they don't do anything to make us big and strong. I know....old school. We keep all sorts of things in the house and try to help DD learn to self regulate (not saying this is the only way to learn to self regulate). DD asks for things that are treats for breakfast, and we just explain that it's not something that we eat for breakfast, because for breakfast, we need things that are going to help our bodies go. Yep, she pitches fits at times, but that's fine...she's 2, it comes with the territory.

Seitvonzu
07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
i more like lmpc-- i DO keep the food in the house. when lu gets sorta bratty about it (i'm assuming this only waiting snack/treats is developmentally appropriate control stuff as well as ...well, it's tasty ;)) , i really reign it in. i get DH on board and keep him aware of what she's had in a day/week (he's out of the house, and i'm in charge of most of her meals as the person who is HERE). lu isn't a huge juice drinker (oj cut with water ONLY at breakfast) but sometimes on the weekend she'll have chocolate milk, or lemonade when we are out. some weekdays she'll also get this if we are out....some of these days she'll also have sweetened yogurt, maybe a "treat" (such as a cookie or small piece of a larger dessert).... those days just build up slow and then-- ACK. it's not good.

when i feel it getting built up, i put us all on a cleanse ;) surprisingly, *I* am usually the one who feels deprived , not lu. out of sight, out of mind i guess :) tonight we had maple glazed salmon (admittedly sweet, but still), couscous with farm cucumbers, diced tomatos and raw onion, roasted beets and roasted herbe de provence. she tried EVERYTHING on her plate unprompted and finished both her salmon and carrots. i couldn't believe it! she was obviously satisfied when she got down from the table and didn't even ask about dessert (despite having belgian chocolate pudding with whipped cream yesterday and knowing we had more in the house)

good luck. hopefully it won't be as bad as you think !

amldaley
07-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Agree with PP's that we just don't keep it in the house. When we do have something, we emphasize that this is a TREAT. Treats are for special occasions. We talk to DD about food at every meal. We talk about what's healthy and what is not. There are days when she flips her lid wanting popsicles, but after a while it DOES get and better. She is not going to be able to avoid sweets and treats her whole life, so teaching her NOW what good desserts are or that sugar is only once in a while is important.

We also have a Zoku and we make our own popsicles with 100% pure fruit juice or puree.

karstmama
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
i'm more 'serve it with the meal and when it's gone it's gone'. no seconds on dessert, but dessert served when the meal is served. most times ds will keep right on eating after he's finished his teddy grahams or whatever.

so a vote for 'no biggie, no drama, no forbidden foods' type thing. though we also don't keep lots of really junky stuff in the house - cookies are more on the fig newton end than the oreo end, ya know?

mariza
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Do not allow her to eat them anymore at all. BTDT and trust me, it just gets worse until you nip it in the bud (or, I guess, give up entirely).

Not to hijack OP, but I have been following this thread with interest. DD is putting on weight and it makes me very nevous. She is solid with an athletic build, but now she is starting to gain excess which is not helping her already natural big build. I've tried to not have it in the house at all, and what we do keep in the house is pretty tame compared to others I've seen. Popsicles, all natural Ice cream, Graham crackers, etc. And they do not get ice cream every day. I used to not keep any treats at all, but DS is a great self regulator and it doesn't seem fair to him. Also, the problem we started having is that if we go out to a party or cookout, other people are giving her things (sneaking them to her) after I've said no. And I always let her have something at parties so as not to make a big deal of it. By the time I say no, I KNOW she has already had some candy/cookies, whatever so when others tell her to go ahead, take it or sneak it to her it makes my blood boil. I don't want to make a fuss over them doing so because she is not fat (yet) just a little chunky and I do not want to make a scene or make DD self conscious/ have bad body image. We we're at a pool party a few weeks ago ( remember when I posted about DS almost drowning?). So I'm there dripping wet, shaken to the core and DD is standing there litererally shoveling Oreos in her mouth till the crumbs are falling out the sides her mouth is so full. We don't keep thing like Oreos in the house, so this was new for me to see and so, so, embarrassing!
I feel like there has to be a healthy medium somewhere and I'm glad that not keeping treats in the house works for some of you. Sadly, part of DD's problem is genetic. I recall being put on a diet when I was her age and being forced to sit at the table while my brother got treats that I wasn't allowed to have. I ended up bulimic as a result, I'd save my pennies and buy things that my mom would never allow in the house and sit in my room and binge, then purge. I do not want this to happen to my DD.
Luckily she loves fruits and veggies, the girl will eat tomatoes like they are apples, but she has a wicked sweet tooth and I want her to be able to enjoy and occasional treat without going overboard. When we get home from parties she will complain about her tummy hiring and I explain to her that the unhealthy treats are the culprit and she says "I know" but the next party, there she is shoveling junk food in her mouth like it's her first meal in years.

So sorry OP I know this got longer than I expected but your post really hit home and I know it started when my DD was the same age as yours. We did everything right in the beginning then we got off track somehow. When DD was 3 I had to travel for work for 5 weeks and MIL came to stay with the kids. In that 5 week period she instituted ice cream with sprinkles every night. We never had dessert every night before this, only on special occasions. Not to say that MIL was the cause of our current problem, but it kinda pulled that piece of yarn that keeps unraveling.
I will be watching this thread for more ideas.

lowrioh
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
We had the same problem and I instituted a policy of no "empty" calories. If she is going to get a treat it has to have some redeeming nutritional value. If she wants chocolate milk she will get skim milk with chocolate Ovaltine (1 tsp), if she wants ice cream we will give her a frozen Simply GoGurt. There are no cookies in our house (my DH is a total cookie monster), no chips etc.
I think that it is about moderation....but if there is something you absolutely do not want her to eat then get it out of your house and see if you can find some healthy alternative. i.e. "we don't have ice cream but how about a xyz". I actually open the freezer/cabinet to show her we don't have it.

cvanbrunt
07-19-2011, 12:41 PM
So sorry OP I know this got longer than I expected but your post really hit home and I know it started when my DD was the same age as yours. We did everything right in the beginning then we got off track somehow. When DD was 3 I had to travel for work for 5 weeks and MIL came to stay with the kids. In that 5 week period she instituted ice cream with sprinkles every night. We never had dessert every night before this, only on special occasions. Not to say that MIL was the cause of our current problem, but it kinda pulled that piece of yarn that keeps unraveling.
I will be watching this thread for more ideas.

I hope this link works. Watch the second video called "Obesity Begins at Home". It's a great clip.

http://www.pbs.org/saf/1110/video/watchonline.htm

mariza
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Darn, link keeps telling me that the server is unavailable. I'll keep trying, it sounds intriguing thanks!

wellyes
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
We had the same problem and I instituted a policy of no "empty" calories. If she is going to get a treat it has to have some redeeming nutritional value. If she wants chocolate milk she will get skim milk with chocolate Ovaltine (1 tsp), if she wants ice cream we will give her a frozen Simply GoGurt. There are no cookies in our house (my DH is a total cookie monster), no chips etc.

We have a no sugary drinks policy. Juice is very habit-forming and not nutritious.

Rainbows&Roses
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
We have a no sugary drinks policy. Juice is very habit-forming and not nutritious.

I don't know what kind of juice you are talking about but the juice we have in our house IS nutritious and so far no one is addicted yet. They don't even ask for it usually.

In regards to OP, my oldest (7) is allowed a treat after lunch and dinner. She has been allowed this for probably 3-4 years now. She can make a small cupcake last 20 minutes savoring every bite. She is stick thin.

The younger one is allowed desserts some days but not all. She does love sweet stuff but would choose a pile of peas any day over a cookie.

DrSally
07-20-2011, 10:10 AM
The link isn't working for me either, but maybe it's one I've already seen. We do sweets, but I like to offer them occassionally, no big deal, at any time of day. I don't like to link finishing a meal w/having a treat (b/c I think that can set up an association that something sweet has to come after a meal, and the whole making sweets more valuable and other foods less desirable thing). If they ask, generally, I'll give them what they ask for, but I also don't keep a lot of stuff in the house. I really, really try to avoid making sweets a reward for anything (incl. finishing a meal).

egoldber
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I think you have to figure out what your limits are and set them.

I agree that for some kids it's easier to just not have things in the house. But other kids do better with a "sometimes" type policy. Earlier this summer we got into a habit with the fricken fracken ice cream truck coming by every evening. The problem is our neighbors were buying for their kids and it felt cruel to exclude my kids OR I felt bad being the one to say no and then making my neighbor feel bad. So we have a new rule that we only buy from the ice cream truck on weekends (and we often end up missing him, so that works well ;) ).

*I* have self control issues with some items, so we keep them out of the house. But my kids actually seem to do well. My issue with my older DD is she is a carb lover and would prefer carbs (not even sweet carbs) to anything else. As she gets older we talk more about nutrition and exercise and how it is important to take care of our bodies by making good food choices most of the time and by exercising.

My younger DD, the one who is barely 5th percentile in weight, is the juice and sweets addict. She begs for candy. But OTOH, we still have candy leftover from Easter and I recentlt threw out some Valentine candy, so they don't eat it all the time.

I also try to substitute things like natural, organic lollipops vs. other things.

wellyes
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know what kind of juice you are talking about but the juice we have in our house IS nutritious and so far no one is addicted yet. They don't even ask for it usually.Sorry, I was posting in a rush and didn't explain my thoughts. Juice is very very high in sugar -- similar to cola. I read that a Juicy Juice juice box (which is 100% juice) has more sugar in it than a frosted pop tart. Any vitamins present are there because the drink was artificially fortified. Basically you're better off giving kids a cookie and a vitamin.

Freshly pressed juice is much better, though I still try to limit it.

My younger DD, the one who is barely 5th percentile in weight, is the juice and sweets addict. She begs for candy. But OTOH, we still have candy leftover from Easter and I recentlt threw out some Valentine candy, so they don't eat it all the time.Mine's like this too. My 3 year old is tall but less than 30 lbs. Just because she's not struggling with obesity doesn't mean I'm oK with giving her anywhere NEAR the amt of sweets she'd like.

I think it's really hard with the tiny ones -- I didn't anticipate it. She will cheerfully skip any meal. She refuses food all the time. Even with stuff she likes, she eats a few spoonfuls of whatever I serve and declares herself full. I get desperate; I am grateful if she eats a hot meal of ANYTHING.

egoldber
07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
She will cheerfully skip any meal. She refuses food all the time. Even with stuff she likes, she eats a few spoonfuls of whatever I serve and declares herself full. I get desperate; I am grateful if she eats a hot meal of ANYTHING.

Yes, this is exactly where I am with her. It's soooo frustrating! Luckily, she will also readily eat fruit (unlike older DD) so I do try to satisfy her sweet tooth that way as well.

boolady
07-20-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't know what kind of juice you are talking about but the juice we have in our house IS nutritious and so far no one is addicted yet. They don't even ask for it usually.

What kind of juice? Just wondering, as we don't do any.

Green_Tea
07-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know what kind of juice you are talking about but the juice we have in our house IS nutritious and so far no one is addicted yet.

What kind do you buy? My DS loves juice, but I rarely buy it because I can't find one that isn't loaded with sugar. I'd love to find one that I'd feel OK giving him!

ourbabygirl
07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
We have V8 fusion in the house (or whatever it's called)- it's the strawberry-banana one, that supposedly has a full serving of fruits/ veggies. I also always water down juice, half-and-half, but DD prefers grape juice if she's going to have any. Or she can occasionally have some Simply Lemonade (watered down)... I know they're not great for you, but I don't let her have them every day.

Thanks, Everyone, for your feedback! I'm working on making sure I give DD snacks with carbs, protein, and fat so she feels full, and limiting things like granola bars and trying to keep her hungry enough for meals (waiting an hour or so after her snack).

mariza
07-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks OP for posting this and everyone for all the responses. You have inspired me to rethink how to deal with this. I have begun openly talking to DD about the correlation between the foods she chooses and what they do to her body. Before this we just said "that is a healthy snack or unhealthy snack", but I don't think she really got the cause/ effect relationship. We are working on that.
I also made an appointment with her ped for Monday to talk more about nutrition, but also to check out some things going on with her. She often complains of her tummy hurting, has very loose stools frequently and does not seem to have an "off" switch to tell her when she is full. And her tummy seems really distended.
I'd like to see him do a thyroid test and discuss the possibility of a gluten allergy or some other GI issue. (We've done a dairy elimination for a week and it didn't seem to make a difference) I think we can beat this if we start now.

karstmama
07-21-2011, 11:42 AM
i'm totally not the authority, but i think dairy has to be totally eliminated (even trace amounts in baked goods, etc) for at least a month to 'count'. am i wrong, allergy mamas?

WolfpackMom
07-21-2011, 11:53 AM
What kind do you buy? My DS loves juice, but I rarely buy it because I can't find one that isn't loaded with sugar. I'd love to find one that I'd feel OK giving him!

If the juice only has apple, water, and citric acid in it then isnt giving juice about like giving an apple? Im a little lost...DS only ever gets a tiny splash of juice in his water, probably 90% water, 10% juice at most but Im just wondering about this sugar thing. Im sure it has the natural sugar of fruit, but then so wouldnt an apple?

brittone2
07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
If the juice only has apple, water, and citric acid in it then isnt giving juice about like giving an apple? Im a little lost...DS only ever gets a tiny splash of juice in his water, probably 90% water, 10% juice at most but Im just wondering about this sugar thing. Im sure it has the natural sugar of fruit, but then so wouldnt an apple?
When you eat a whole apple, you get fiber, which slows the release of sugar into the system a bit. When you drink straight juice, the fiber is filtered out and it is a big dump of fructose into your system w/ no fiber to naturally slow the blood sugar spike a bit. In response to the sugar spike, your body then dumps out a bunch of insulin. In some of us, our body dumps out a LOT of insulin to compensate for the sugar, and then we get a "crash" a while afterward.

There are mixed studies on how many vitamins remain in juices once they are bottled and then opened for more than a day or two. The vitamin content may not really be super accurate. I'm also guessing it takes more than one apple to make a glass of apple *juice*, kwim? If you are consuming straight juice you might be getting more fructose than is present in a single apple. So you may be doubling, tripling, etc. the sugar of an actual apple by using straight juice, and then taking away all of the fiber that slows the release of all that sugar...doubling or tripling the whammy ;)

eta: a lot of the flavanoids and beneficial compounds are in the peels (apples), the white layer on oranges has benefits, etc.

wellyes
07-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd like to see him do a thyroid test and discuss the possibility of a gluten allergy or some other GI issue. (We've done a dairy elimination for a week and it didn't seem to make a difference) I think we can beat this if we start now.
Good luck! Distended tummy & digestive problems do sounds very much like IBS or a food intolerance. Hope you figure it out quickly!

From what I understand, all good stuff in apples -- nutrients and dietary fiber -- are in the skin and pulp, the stuff that is discarded in juicing.

daisymommy
07-21-2011, 12:05 PM
From what I understand, all good stuff in apples -- nutrients and dietary fiber -- are in the skin and pulp, the stuff that is discarded in juicing.

Yeah that. All that's left is the vitamin C, flavor and sugar.
But if you really are doing just a "splash" in water, then 1 sippy cup of that each day is not that big of deal IMO. But I wouldn't do that with every single cup he drinks.

WolfpackMom
07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Good luck! Distended tummy & digestive problems do sounds very much like IBS or a food intolerance. Hope you figure it out quickly!

Yeah that. All that's left is the vitamin C, flavor and sugar.
But if you really are doing just a "splash" in water, then 1 sippy cup of that each day is not that big of deal IMO. But I wouldn't do that with every single cup he drinks.

Eating an apple (while still having that good stuff) would still equate to having sugar. So juice may not have the nutrient of the peel and pulp (although they do make that thicker, pulpy juice), its sugar content is not necessarily that different from eating the fruit itself. Any fruit you eat will have sugar, with juice you just want something that is cloudy not clear (per Dr Sears) because that indicates theres more actual fruit in the juice. Thats why when a diabetic is having a low blood sugar, they can eat fruit or drink juice - the sugar content is there either way.

Im not arguing, just something to think about. It doesnt bother me when people let their kids drink juice, orange juice isnt bad to drink, especially with lots of pulp. We don't let DS drink lots of juice, it takes us about a month, sometimes longer, to go through a bottle of 100% juice - and usually its the watered down Motts Totts juice which is 55% apple or grape, citric acid, and 45% purified water so already watered down itself, or some kind of organic juice. However, I dont really think of it as a "junk food" as referenced by the OP.

As far as junk in the house, I grew up in a house with no sugar because my sister is a type 1 diabetic. We were allowed 1 scoop of sugar free vanilla ice cream once a week (we chose Thursdays, lol). I was totally that kid at parties stuffing my face with junkfood, my mother would be mortified...My BFF from high school's mom still teases me about always getting my junkfood fix at their house. In my case its understandable why we didnt have sugar around, but I think generally not making sugar products be such a big deal and fuss might have a better effect than making a huge deal out of them not being allowed and being a huge treat, because kids always seem to want what they cant have.

brittone2
07-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Eating an apple (while still having that good stuff) would still equate to having sugar. So juice may not have the nutrient of the peel and pulp (although they do make that thicker, pulpy juice), its sugar content is not necessarily that different from eating the fruit itself. Any fruit you eat will have sugar, with juice you just want something that is cloudy not clear (per Dr Sears) because that indicates theres more actual fruit in the juice. Thats why when a diabetic is having a low blood sugar, they can eat fruit or drink juice - the sugar content is there either way.

Im not arguing, just something to think about. It doesnt bother me when people let their kids drink juice, orange juice isnt bad to drink, especially with lots of pulp. We don't let DS drink lots of juice, it takes us about a month, sometimes longer, to go through a bottle of 100% juice - and usually its the watered down Motts Totts juice which is 55% apple or grape, citric acid, and 45% purified water so already watered down itself, or some kind of organic juice. However, I dont really think of it as a "junk food" as referenced by the OP.

As far as junk in the house, I grew up in a house with no sugar because my sister is a type 1 diabetic. We were allowd 1 scoop of sugar free vanilla ice cream once a week (we chose Thursdays, lol). I was totally that kid at parties stuffing my face with junkfood, my mother would be mortified...My BFF from high school's mom still teases me about always getting my junkfood fix at their house. In my case its understandable why we didnt have sugar around, but I think generally not making sugar products be such a big deal and fuss might have a better effect than making a huge deal out of them not being allowed and being a huge treat, because kids always seem to want what they cant have.

It takes more than one apple to make a cup of fruit juice though. So the sugar content is different if we're talking about a glass of straight juice vs an apple. (probably the same sugar content as 2-3 or even 4 apples).

I don't keep a lot of junk in the house, but it isn't as though my kids don't get it. They love homemade popsicles. I buy erythritol sweetened coconut milk ice cream that they love. They are happy to eat berries and whipped cream (homemade). They have something like that almost daily. We buy cookies once every few weeks, and in the summer they probably get ice cream (out of the house) at least once a week. I still find it easier to limit what comes in to healthier forms of a product, or a homemade version, or picking one type of "junk" and not 4-5 that we have around each week.

DD and DS1 adore berries and love berries w/ homemade whipped cream. There really is nothing that is forbidden. I just don't buy cookies, ice cream, candy, crackers, etc. all in the same shopping trip.

They had popsicles with breakfast this morning because they were banana, strawberry, almond milk and a little touch of stevia. I often freeze leftover smoothies into popscicles and if they want that for breakfast so be it. Today's didn't have much protein so they had it w/ a slice of Ezekial bread w/ PB.

eta: I don't know. I'm seeing 25-28 ish g of sugar in 8oz of apple juice and 18 g of sugar in a medium apple. But IMO that sugar (sans fiber) is going to cause a super quick spike in sugar (why it is used in diabetics) vs. a slower spike if you were eating the whole fruit.

this reference says 8oz of apple juice has twice the sugar of a medium apple and 1/10 of the fiber
http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/07/calorie-counter-fruit-vs-fruit-juice/

wellyes
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
A whole apple comes with sugar, antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins, dietary fiber, all kinds of goodness. Apple juice is concentrated sugar and maybe added vitamins (added because they were removed during the processing). So empty calories.

Not that I never ever give my kids juice. I just regard it as a treat, like having a cupcake.

I am NOT one to cast stones here. I've posted many times about my struggles with super skinny DD who refuses food every meal. Last night for dinner? Chicken nuggets with maple syrup to dip in. So, yeah.

But I do enjoy reading about food & nutrition. I recommend Marion Nestle's How to Eat to anyone. She is a nutritionist who really opened my eyes to what I put in my mouth.

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 03:18 PM
It takes more than one apple to make a cup of fruit juice though. So the sugar content is different if we're talking about a glass of straight juice vs an apple. (probably the same sugar content as 2-3 or even 4 apples).

eta: I don't know. I'm seeing 25-28 ish g of sugar in 8oz of apple juice and 18 g of sugar in a medium apple. But IMO that sugar (sans fiber) is going to cause a super quick spike in sugar (why it is used in diabetics) vs. a slower spike if you were eating the whole fruit.

this reference says 8oz of apple juice has twice the sugar of a medium apple and 1/10 of the fiber
http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/07/calorie-counter-fruit-vs-fruit-juice/

A whole apple comes with sugar, antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins, dietary fiber, all kinds of goodness. Apple juice is concentrated sugar and maybe added vitamins (added because they were removed during the processing). So empty calories.

Not that I never ever give my kids juice. I just regard it as a treat, like having a cupcake.

I am NOT one to cast stones here. I've posted many times about my struggles with super skinny DD who refuses food every meal. Last night for dinner? Chicken nuggets with maple syrup to dip in. So, yeah.

But I do enjoy reading about food & nutrition. I recommend Marion Nestle's How to Eat to anyone. She is a nutritionist who really opened my eyes to what I put in my mouth.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

No matter how you slice it (ha!) you're not going to convince me that apple juice has nearly the nutritional value of an actual apple. The apple juice in my fridge right now (that I have given DS the choice of having in lieu of dessert) has 28 g of sugar per serving. That's more than the Oreo Klondike bar sandwiches (17 g) or the double chocolate Klondike bars (24 g) that I bought at Stop & Shop earlier this week. And those actually have a couple grams of fiber and protein in them.

The juice makers of America have done a spectacular job of making parents feel like juice is a healthy choice, but in reality you'd be better off giving your child two Vitamin C gummy vitamins (http://www.drugstore.com/lil-critters-immune-c-plus-zinc-and-echinacea-gummy-bears/qxp67652) and a glass of water. Or an actual apple or orange. Or a Klondike Bar.

BabyBearsMom
07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I think generally not making sugar products be such a big deal and fuss might have a better effect than making a huge deal out of them not being allowed and being a huge treat, because kids always seem to want what they cant have.

:yeahthat: I knew a girl in high school whose mom had lost a ton of weight, and absolutely forbade any junk food for her daughter. When the girl would go out away from her mother, she would gorge herself on junk food. Sadly, she is extremely over weight as an adult (based on what I can see on facebook, that is). I am a firm believer in everything in moderation and staying low key about the junk food. I don't keep a lot of sugary stuff in the house for DD but she gets it when we are at birthday parties etc. and I don't make a big deal about it. I give DD watered down juice (usually when she is constipated or when she is sick and I want her drink more fluids because she guzzles juice) from time to time, but not often because it gives her very loose and copious stool. But she eats lots of fruits and vegetables and typically at dinner I am concerned because she only wants to eat her veggies and isn't as interested in the other stuff (broccoli to my DD is like chocolate to other children).

infomama
07-21-2011, 03:34 PM
They had popsicles with breakfast this morning
We have been doing this, too. We use the regular OJ they would normally drink at breakfast and stick it in the Zoku pop maker. They take in less juice and we add a glass of tap or carbonated water next to their plates which is good.

WolfpackMom
07-21-2011, 03:47 PM
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

No matter how you slice it (ha!) you're not going to convince me that apple juice has nearly the nutritional value of an actual apple. The apple juice in my fridge right now (that I have given DS the choice of having in lieu of dessert) has 28 g of sugar per serving. That's more than the Oreo Klondike bar sandwiches (17 g) or the double chocolate Klondike bars (24 g) that I bought at Stop & Shop earlier this week. And those actually have a couple grams of fiber and protein in them.

The juice makers of America have done a spectacular job of making parents feel like juice is a healthy choice, but in reality you'd be better off giving your child two Vitamin C gummy vitamins (http://www.drugstore.com/lil-critters-immune-c-plus-zinc-and-echinacea-gummy-bears/qxp67652) and a glass of water. Or an actual apple or orange. Or a Klondike Bar.

Not sure if that was directed at my post but thats not what I was saying, I dont think it has the same nutritional value. FWIW the juice in our fridge has 13g of sugar. I dont think this makes us bad people, and I wouldnt give a klondike bar over juice.

wellyes
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
But she eats lots of fruits and vegetables and typically at dinner I am concerned because she only wants to eat her veggies and isn't as interested in the other stuff (broccoli to my DD is like chocolate to other children).

Nice problem to have.

I am not an advocate of no sugar allowed either, personally. It's a nice treat to have. I enjoy it myself.

For anyone who has a NYTimes subscription, this is interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?src=me&ref=general
Basically a huge new study is out which identifies foods to avoid - it's not just calories, it's also WHAT you eat that influences weight gain. Yogurt, veggies, fruit, whole grains good. Foods to avoid include french fries, processed food, red meats, sugary drinks, fried food. Not shocking of course, but it does dispute the "a calorie is a calorie" school of thought.

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Not sure if that was directed at my post but thats not what I was saying, I dont think it has the same nutritional value. FWIW the juice in our fridge has 13g of sugar. I dont think this makes us bad people, and I wouldnt give a klondike bar over juice.

Nope, not directed at you and of course I don't think you're a bad person, I was just concurring with the posters I quoted. 13 g of sugar is significantly less than the vast majority of juices on the market, so that's great. Though I still might offer MY kid the Klondike Bar Oreo Sandwich for dessert (which is when he's allowed juice), as it has 2 g of fiber, 3 g of protein, 10% of the DRV of iron, 6% of the DRV of calcium and 7 g of fat, which he desperately needs. But he'd probably want the juice anyway :).

lmh2402
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
:yeahthat: I knew a girl in high school whose mom had lost a ton of weight, and absolutely forbade any junk food for her daughter. When the girl would go out away from her mother, she would gorge herself on junk food. Sadly, she is extremely over weight as an adult (based on what I can see on facebook, that is). I am a firm believer in everything in moderation and staying low key about the junk food. I don't keep a lot of sugary stuff in the house for DD but she gets it when we are at birthday parties etc. and I don't make a big deal about it. I give DD watered down juice (usually when she is constipated or when she is sick and I want her drink more fluids because she guzzles juice) from time to time, but not often because it gives her very loose and copious stool. But she eats lots of fruits and vegetables and typically at dinner I am concerned because she only wants to eat her veggies and isn't as interested in the other stuff (broccoli to my DD is like chocolate to other children).

i knew someone like this in elementary school. she would come to birthday parties and even the other kids would be horrified at the amount of crap she would consume, while away from her parents and with open access

DS is a challenging eater. but he lurves his sweets

and we do keep them in the house and i actually allow him a little bit of something every day.

some days it's half of a homemade chocolate chip cookie

other days it's three plain chocolate chips

other days it's three of the little earth's best "letter cookies." these are a huge hit b/c he is delighted by fishing in to pick out three and seeing what letters he's gotten

i don't really allow sugar drinks - no soda in our house period b/c i just don't like it and DH is a recovering soda addict. we allow/have juice on rare, rare occasion b/c i would rather him eat the whole fruit and fruit is one food group he eats willingly, so why mess with a good thing

BUT - he is allowed some chocolate milk during the infrequent times that we get it together enough to go out to breakfast on a weekend

Green_Tea
07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
For anyone who has a NYTimes subscription, this is interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19brody.html?src=me&ref=general
Basically a huge new study is out which identifies foods to avoid - it's not just calories, it's also WHAT you eat that influences weight gain. Yogurt, veggies, fruit, whole grains good. Foods to avoid include french fries, processed food, red meats, sugary drinks, fried food. Not shocking of course, but it does dispute the "a calorie is a calorie" school of thought.

Read this earlier in the week. Excellent article. Absolutely worth a read!!

DrSally
07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Nice problem to have.

I am not an advocate of no sugar allowed either, personally. It's a nice treat to have. I enjoy it myself.

I read that too. I wish I liked yogurt more. I love tzaki, and use it on everything rather than salad dressing and mayo. Maybe I could make smoothies w/unsweetened greek yogurt and frozen fruit. I don't really drink milk. I know they say to get more calcium in your diet. The hard pat for me is the fried food! I love fried food. I'd take a samosa (w/tzaki) over a cookie anyday.

scrooks
07-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Im just catching up on this thread- especially the issue of juice. I avoided juice for the longest time with DD. The problem is now she has constipation issues and Is not a very good drinker in general (i am actually the same way, sometimes around 11 am I realize I have had nothing to drink all day). I have to offer her juice to get her to drink something...anything ...and to help with her "issues". Does anyone have any suggestions on how to limit juice in this situation. I prefer she drink water or milk but overall...I just want her to drink!

kozachka
07-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Why not have your DD drink tomato juice or milk? DH and I grew up drinking lots of tomato juice and still like it. DH also got DS into milk but I am not a fan, I'd rather have a glass of water, and encourage DS to do the same. DS does drink juice at parties or when we go out but most of the time would as happily drink milk, if available.

I'd also encourage your DD to eat lots of fiber.

lablover
07-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Im just catching up on this thread- especially the issue of juice. I avoided juice for the longest time with DD. The problem is now she has constipation issues and Is not a very good drinker in general (i am actually the same way, sometimes around 11 am I realize I have had nothing to drink all day). I have to offer her juice to get her to drink something...anything ...and to help with her "issues". Does anyone have any suggestions on how to limit juice in this situation. I prefer she drink water or milk but overall...I just want her to drink!

Can you water the juice down? Maybe start with 25% water, 75% juice, and then slowly increase the percentage of water?

egoldber
07-22-2011, 07:04 AM
prefer she drink water or milk but overall...I just want her to drink!

This is actually why I introduced older DD to juice. She was having some constipation issues and it definitely helped.

And younger DD is not a huge drinker in general as well, so I do give her a fair amount of juice, about 1/3 juice and 2/3 water.