PDA

View Full Version : Will I love a ring sling?

ahrimie
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a moby and love the feel of it but don't like that there is SO much fabric you have to wrap around yourself. I love the ergo for an older infant (4 months+) but not totally digging the infant insert just yet.

I want something that packs up really small and is easy to slip on. I've always wanted to try a ring sling but don't want to buy it and then hate it too.

Found one on etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/62818361/the-original-rustic-ring-sling-edgy-grey?ref=cat1_gallery_40

Will I love it? And is this the going price for one?

ahrimie
07-19-2011, 10:43 AM
bump please??

ABO Mama
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes, ringslings are very nice with small babies. I don't know anything about the one that you linked to. I personally like the shoulder on maya rs (http://www.mayawrap.com/shop/maya-wrap-baby-sling.html), and sleepingbaby (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/) rs are also very popular.

This store (http://paxbaby.com/zen/paxbabys-sling-exchange-rent-a-ring-sling-c-44_45.html?zenid=63ef9eedef73eaa47eb2cbb822a7d826) has a rental program, so you can try one out!

okinawama
07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
We love ours! I use it from infancy to toddlerhood and find them very comfortable. I also like that they're adjustable, so people ( my mom, DH....) can wear him too. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to use them, there is a slight learning curve, but they are significantly easier than a moby.

lowrioh
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a moby and love the feel of it but don't like that there is SO much fabric you have to wrap around yourself. I love the ergo for an older infant (4 months+) but not totally digging the infant insert just yet.

I want something that packs up really small and is easy to slip on. I've always wanted to try a ring sling but don't want to buy it and then hate it too.

Found one on etsy http://www.etsy.com/listing/62818361/the-original-rustic-ring-sling-edgy-grey?ref=cat1_gallery_40

Will I love it? And is this the going price for one?

I think you just have to try it to see. I loved my wrap when DD was a newborn and then loved the Ergo for older babies but I never felt the ring sling love. If you want something small and super easy to use, I'd get a pouch sling...especially if you are planning on using the Ergo for when the baby is older. I had a pouch sling for DD1 and I used it a lot more than the RS.

That price seems really fair.

citymama
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
We absolutely adored our Maya wrap ring sling. Probably the #1 most used baby item we had, and it's one of the few things we just can't part with now that our babies are no longer using it.

stinkyfeet
07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I love my ring slings. They work for small babies and young toddlers. You just have to make sure you get a good one with supportive fabric. The key to the ring sling comfort is finding a "shoulder" that you like.

My favorite "shoulder" is by Comfy Joey--it is a hybrid shoulder, so you can srcrunch it up to put all the weight on top of your shoulder or pull it down to cup your shoulder to distribute the weight. Her ring slings are highly recommended on the Baby Wear forums--she is also an active member. The comfy Joey ring sling I have is a single layer linen...I use it now for my 4 month old and used it for my older DS until he was a young toddler. I have ring slings that cost over $200, and the very affordable Comfy Joey sling is the one I reach for all of the time.

ahrimie
07-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I love my ring slings. They work for small babies and young toddlers. You just have to make sure you get a good one with supportive fabric. The key to the ring sling comfort is finding a "shoulder" that you like.

My favorite "shoulder" is by Comfy Joey--it is a hybrid shoulder, so you can srcrunch it up to put all the weight on top of your shoulder or pull it down to cup your shoulder to distribute the weight. Her ring slings are highly recommended on the Baby Wear forums--she is also an active member. The comfy Joey ring sling I have is a single layer linen...I use it now for my 4 month old and used it for my older DS until he was a young toddler. I have ring slings that cost over $200, and the very affordable Comfy Joey sling is the one I reach for all of the time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Where can I buy a comfy joey?

stinkyfeet
07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I got mine online at the comfy joey website. www.comfyjoey.com

They have other fabrics, but I only have tried the single-layered linen.

Uno-Mom
07-20-2011, 01:20 AM
I didn't have a ring sling, but one almost exactly like one with an adjustable buckle. We used it up through about 5 months old.

I thought I adored it at the time but I'm 99% sure I'll go with a wrap if there's a DC #2 ever. I would have done a wrap with Sprog but was intimidated, having never handled a newborn before!

Word of warning: you'll read suggestions that you alternate shoulders with an over-the-shoulder sling. DO IT!! I didn't. I only ever used me left shoulder because I was so comfortable tucking her in with my right arm.

I had this huge argument with my new chiropractor last month - she swore I must be carrying a messager bag constantly over my left shoulder. Nope, I said, my left shoulder hurts so I never wear it that way. She argued that all s/sx were that I must have injured my shoulder with my messager bag! 10 minutes later into the appointment I realized what had caused the joint and tissue damage: that's the shoulder I constantly wore Sprog on (and it had been 11 months since I last wore the sling)! The sling was ergonomically correct but I failed to swap shoulders, causing an imbalance and posture problems. Not a huge deal, it's healing now, but I would have had zero issues from baby wearing if I'd only alternated to give my left side a break.

ahrimie
07-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I didn't have a ring sling, but one almost exactly like one with an adjustable buckle. We used it up through about 5 months old.

I thought I adored it at the time but I'm 99% sure I'll go with a wrap if there's a DC #2 ever. I would have done a wrap with Sprog but was intimidated, having never handled a newborn before!

Word of warning: you'll read suggestions that you alternate shoulders with an over-the-shoulder sling. DO IT!! I didn't. I only ever used me left shoulder because I was so comfortable tucking her in with my right arm.

I had this huge argument with my new chiropractor last month - she swore I must be carrying a messager bag constantly over my left shoulder. Nope, I said, my left shoulder hurts so I never wear it that way. She argued that all s/sx were that I must have injured my shoulder with my messager bag! 10 minutes later into the appointment I realized what had caused the joint and tissue damage: that's the shoulder I constantly wore Sprog on (and it had been 11 months since I last wore the sling)! The sling was ergonomically correct but I failed to swap shoulders, causing an imbalance and posture problems. Not a huge deal, it's healing now, but I would have had zero issues from baby wearing if I'd only alternated to give my left side a break.

Good to know, thanks!!